Follow

My mom has dementia really bad. Needs all day care for sure. An ambulance took her away, For a medical tour. An ER tour.

Severe UTI, tested + for COVID-19, but is fully vaxxed and was fortunate she had simple cold symptoms. First few days in the hospital were social party time. Then she stopped moving, talking or eating. Recovered medically but appeared to have transitioned into her final days. After a month, she was moved into palliative care. Which struck a nerve! She started talking again, promised to eat, and expressed her will to live.

Discharged into a care home. Another month passes. Still bedridden, being spoon fed, but talking and eating. No more IV fluids.

I guess she got tired of being bedridden, because the staff phoned to say they’d caught her walking about. Age 97, after that long in bed!

Today I visited at meal time. Asked her why the staff had been spoon feeding her. She had no idea. So I told her to try. She picked up her spoon, and ate everything. I took photos to show the staff. She said nobody told her to feed herself so she didn’t.

As I left I heard her inquire about the nearest toilet.

Un-frickin-believable!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Oh, my gosh! Amaaaaaazing!

Also you made me giggle!
(4)

Hahaha....
Love it!!

Are you the skipper? Mom is Gilligan?

OMG. What a recovery! She got rescued off of the bedridden island.
(2)

This is pretty amazing! So bizarre that they didn't try to get her to feed herself! My mom loves people waiting on her and would probably not tell anyone not to feed her as she'd be loving the attention. And here she is stuck with me pushing her to be as independent as possible!
(0)

amazing. hug!!!!
(1)

Magic! :)
(2)

Isn't is amazing what the body can do when the spirit is still strong - and you have such great support!

Take a big sigh. Her time will come - but not just yet 😃
(2)

They are amazing. No matter how hard you try to predict things you never can. I will say that is one UNUSUAL facility as the goal is ALWAYS to have the elders do what care they can for themselves. Part of training in ADL (activities of daily living) though if they thought her on palliative or hospice and adding on the age it may all have fallen through the cracks.
(1)

For clarity: The hospital tried to get her to feed herself. She ignored all attempts. The hospital’s PTs and OTs tried to get her to move. She ignored all attempts.

Discharged to a home. She ignored their attempts as well. She continued to talk but remained limp and unwilling to do anything for herself. Without explanation.

I, too, was certain she was at end of life. She was wasting away. Our entire family was braced.

Guess she’ll just do what she wants when she wants.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter