Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
becky: cheerios with blueberries and milk?

that’s gotta be 1 of my favorite things to eat.
:)
(4)

Cheerios with blueberries and milk.
(7)

A very soft raspberry cheese danish and a cup of tea.
Mom was in her wheelchair humming and tapping a little dance. lol
(5)

Home from hospital. My DIL brought me some homemade turkey soup. Good but I have no appetite. Headed to bed. 5am and dialysis come way too early.
(7)

Grilled sirloin burgers, glazed with BBQ sauce, covered in coleslaw and tater tots on the side.

The flavors work so well together, sweet, salty, bitter, sour and umami all rolled together in one.

This is the only meal that makes me happy the cabbage on sale now is sauerkraut cabbage and a bitter, sour flavor. Which reminds me, time to get some cabbage fermenting.
(6)

Becky: Hope that you start feeling better soon. Hugs.
(2)

Becky, feel better!
(4)

fruit and jello. Had my cardiac procedures done this afternoon. Don’t feel too good and definitely not hungry.
(4)

Llama, we love Cape May except they don;t let dogs in the shopping area, and we take puppers! We will be going again this yr,, great food and lots to see if you drive around. We did find a shipwreck museum in Fenwick we have never been to so we will try to get there! We also take the ferry from Lewes. It's a great ride and we always see dolphins
(3)

PamZ: DD's fav place is Cape May, NJ. We took the ferry from Lewes, DE on two separate trips - one for her 40th birthday and then 2 years later.
(2)

Becky: I am so sorry to read this news. Hugs sent.
(1)

Oh Becky I wish they had a dislike button.
(3)

Back in the hospital. Cardiac arrhythmia problems. Not sure what they’re going to do. I had a cardiac diet supper. Turkey on whole wheat with spicy mustard, cup of broth, apple slices. My cardiologist is on his way. I see a pacemaker and defibrillator on my horizon.
(3)

Today hubs made his MD crab soup and Cream of crab soup, tomorrow is the crab cakes and then Sat we go off to OC for a week. Our friend has a house ( where we stay) there and we are taking her as well as she is not cleared to drive yet from her broken ankle, although she can now walk with her boot and crutches. We don;t really go to the beach, a day or two on the boardwalk and then day trips, like the ferry to Cape May. All three of us enjoy it! We used to take my Mom and Aunt, so we will be missing them this year.
(6)

Lunch: popcorn popped in ghee.

Crunchy, salty, satisfying! Just what I needed. :-)
(4)

Beef stroganoff with noodles with a side salad. Dessert is peaches with cottage cheese. Yum!
(6)

I didn't realize how hungry I was until I started reading what everyone had! Happy to hear about the yummy meals.
(3)

Went to lunch with friends today. Manhattan style clam chowder.
(5)

We went to the fair today, and while hubs can;t eat much,, he did eat a bowl of bean soup and ice cream. I had a burger and ice cream,, the local dairy association gave us so much in a bowl that we should have split it! If we go to the fair early we get in free because we are "senior citizens " I'll take that!! Don;t want to go in the evening anyway because of the crowds, and the last few years there have been alot of fights and such. It was also a nice walk for me, and the weather was beautiful and breezy.
(7)

Shredded chicken taco salad. My granddaughter baked and deboned a large baking hen and fresh corn and tomato salsa.
(3)

Meatballs with mushrooms, spinach and fresh tomato sauce, little pasta.
No desert for me, again!
(3)

Baked chicken with beans and rice and salad.
Baked banana bread with dates and cream of wheat as flour substitute, apparently good for lowering cholesterol.
(3)

I baked 4 loaves of homemade bread today. I ate one slice with sugar free strawberry spread. I love to bake. Unfortunately, I can't eat much of what I bake. Gave the rest to my stepsons and my GF Cathy. Made a pot of chicken soup for supper.
(5)

A chicken pizza on a flatbread with onions and peppers.
(5)

The commercially produced label, baked in store, reads as follows:

Sheepherders bread
Water, wheat flour, malted barley flour, (2% or less niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, colic acid & ascorbic acid) soybean oil, enzymes (wheat) salt & yeast

Not the healthiest ingredient list but, it has been a yummy treat and it was a taste from my past. I used to be able to find it in Vegas all the time and that with a fresh roasted pork or beef roast was lunch sandwiches for the week.

So, no dairy and no sugar.

After reading the ingredients I am going to try making a loaf, anything homemade is so much better.

It is not cooked in any type of pan in store, it is a round loaf that is sold uncut, here the bakery will run it through the bread slicer.

I will try it in my Dutch oven in the oven and a loaf on the pizza stone.

It has such great flavor and a nice firm but light texture, almost like sourdough.

I hope that anyone that tries it enjoys it.
(2)

Baked salmon, quinoa and leek salad.
No desert for me!
(5)

Went out today with my DIL and her family. I had a small seafood platter. Seasonal restaurant and today was last day of the season.
(4)

Send, that’s actually a normal bread recipe, though mine doesn’t have sugar and salt. The pit with a fire in the bottom, left to die down to coals, then some of the coals put on top, is a very common cooking method, especially for large items in meat cookery. Aboriginal people here (likewise traditionally no cast iron or steel) put leaves over and above the meat, to keep it clean and to flavor it. Years ago I taught adult Aboriginal people, and my students did a big one in the back yard of a rented house in Adelaide. It took all day to cook, tasted really good, and made a very big mess of the back yard!
(1)

Send and MM,, those are 2 very different recipes from what I am reading..LOL One with milk and one with water? So now I am really interested! And how a commercial bakery does it.
(2)

The shepherds would dig a pit to cook the bread, out in the fields where the sheep were grazing.
Sheepherder's bread had simple ingredients.

Txitxi Bread for a #10 Dutch Oven

1.5 packets active dry yeast
(he uses Red Star)
1 quart + "a bit" lukewarm water
1 heaping Tbsp + 1/4 tsp sugar

Combine and let yeast proof.

Add 3/4 tsp salt and all
purpose flour until you reach
desired consistency.
Knead until smooth.

Let rise until doubled in bulk,
twice. Put in greased dutch oven
(preferably with bacon grease)
and let rise until lid is pushed up.

If baking in oven, 350 degrees
Fahrenheit for approximately 60 minutes.
Keep covered with lid or tented with foil.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter