Follow
Read More
Luckylu,
Lite, little lettuce. Lol.
(2)

I feel so blessed to have the eggs I'll need for Thanksgiving but Iv'e never paid so much for them.
I got the last carton of jumbo's and they were $5.15.....ouch~
I'm also grateful for the head of lettuce I found but it's the lightest,littlest,lettuce ...(try to say that 3 times) Iv'e ever bought.
The Lays potato chips were a joke with their shrinkflation,but I got a bag anyway to go with our dinner.
It's challenging and now I'm even more thankful for every bite.
(6)

For the sane reason Rocky gets some Japanese sweet potato . It's one she specially likes. I boil up the potato, cool it, and cut it into chunks and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen they are stored in a baggie in the freezer. I take out enough for a few days at a time and store the pieces in the frig. If you don't have ice cube trays you could just freeze spoonfuls. (spoonsful?). I spray Pam on the cookie sheet to make it easier to remove the potato and after freezing let everything thaw for a couple of minutes before removing to the freezer. The potato comes off the sheet easier that way.
(7)

Thx Send and Cashew. Good ideas!
(3)

Gershun,
put the extra pumpkin in an ice cube tray. a couple of tablespoons per cube and then when it gets frozen pop them out and keep in a container/bag in the freezer.
(3)

Hello.
I looked this up for you G.

Keep leftover pumpkin puree and canned pumpkin in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It'll keep there for a week. If you don't think you can use up your pumpkin within that time, you can freeze it for up to a year. Seal it up in a zip-top freezer bag (be sure to label it) and toss it into the freezer.
(1)

The thing about the cans of pumpkin is they are supposed to be used in a week after opening. We add such a teeny tiny bit to Henrick's food that it goes to waste.

No Send, Henrick hasn't been a tripping hazard so far. Knock on wood.
(1)

3 big cans, 2 pies each, at Sam's Club 8.98.

Just a heads up.

Pie pumpkin are going for 5.99 each here and usually yield 2 pies each, not deep dish.
(1)

haha...I just took a pumpkin pie out of the oven.
Like everyone else, I couldn't wait for Thursday. :)
It has to cool for a while and will be a nice treat in about 2 hours.
I'm sure that I will be able to convince Mom to have a piece.
(6)

Eggs at our local Food Lion were $5. for a dozen. what the heck! Hubs got 2 dozen at Costco for about $4. But we got our turkey for 5$ because we spent over $35. We prepped our food today, and it is waiting in the sun room in the cold to be put into the oven on Thanksgiving. He is going hunting tomorrow, and I am still recovering from a nasty cold.
(2)

LOL Send, Tim's is our national coffee shop, there's one in every town and on practically every city block. But they sold out to Burger King and things have been going down hill ever since.
(2)

Gershun,
The pumpkin comes in 100% pumpkin and a pie mix in cans. Thinking of Libby's brand. Of course, cat does not get pie? The mix recipe must already have sugar, because it says "just add milk and eggs."

Correction-The 58 oz. pie was $5.99 in-store prices. I paid more to have Instacart deliver. $l.46 more. 😡

Trying harder to be more frugal, keep failing.

Can you get a pumpkin muffin or doughnut Cwillie? Tim Hortons sounds popular.

Gershun, Is kitty behaving himself? Has he tried to trip you (accidentally) on your crutches?
(2)

It was a big can of pumpkin Send, they didn't have any little ones.
And unfortunately the only coffee shop in this small town is Tim Horton's, I can get doughnuts and muffins but.... no pie🥧

I'm sure pies will come on sale as we get closer to Christmas, maybe then.
(1)

We've been giving my cat Henrick a bit of pumpkin on the recommendation of the vet for constipation. Yes, Henrick suffers from that.
(2)

Cwillie,
Sit yourself down at the nearest great coffeeshop, order a piece of pie and coffee. You are worth it, and need to get out. Meet a friend.

At Costco, a pumpkin pie was $7.45 today, much larger and better tasting than almost anywhere. You can freeze it in pieces.

What was the price of a small can of pumpkin? Consider that eggs are in short supply.

I hope you get your piece of pie. Bake a real pumpkin?
(1)

All the talk about American thanksgiving has left me hungry for pumpkin pie so I thought maybe I'd get me some of that too! But when I was at the store today the big cans of pumpkin were priced at $6.99, and the pies were $9.99. As the Captain used to say - I ain't a payin' that!! Ah well, I guess I really shouldn't have a whole pie for one just person anyway🤔
(3)

Pumpkin pie, delivered from Costco was so freshly cooked, it was almost without flavor.
I froze 1/2 of the pie for later.
Defrosted was good.
Defrosted to warm pie was even better than the original piece of pie.
Yum.
(2)

Home made chicken broth bolstered with a package of Lipton's chicken noodle soup and veggies. Not my best effort (I wasn't paying attention and cooked the veggies practically to mush), but adequate.
(4)

tonight, I will make some scrambled eggs with mushrooms/pepper/onions.
And Mom wants french toast. easy for her to eat with syrup and butter.
Today, I managed to get her on the scale and it looks like she's lost 20 lbs since being on hospice. :(
not unexpected but sad none the less.
(6)

Went to the LLBean outlet in Ellsworth. Late lunch at Helen's with lobster chowder and a slice blueberry bread. Long lines at LL Bean.
(4)

Bridget: Sounds delicious. Enjoy the turkey dinner out.
(3)

I came across a super easy batter for roti instead of rolling out dough...So, I'm having some home made roti/wraps/flour tortillas and some apricot jam.

The recipe was easy and I ended up with an almost perfect roti puff up!
(3)

granddaughters and I made 4 dozen hot rolls. Going to a CYO turkey dinner this evening.
(4)

Why is it I can microwave 4 potatoes and have them done in 5 minutes, but when I slice up those same potatoes and layer them with milk and butter the are still hard 20 minutes later??
(3)

Agreed!
(1)

glad: I know, right. I thought the same thing yesterday.
(2)

Really, this sounds like Becky.
(2)

My stepson bought crabs from his seafood guy. Made a batch of crab cakes. Not my favorite blue crabs, some other type. Maybe rock crabs. Had some fried potatoes and coleslaw. Easy meal.
(5)

Chef salad, angel food cake.
(4)

Made a big pot of Italian sausage, while bean and kale soup a while back, froze some, and defrosted a batch for dinner. Yummy on a cold day, and is about the only way I'll eat kale. Very easy and quick to make with canned white beans. Also has onion and a bit of carrots. I use 2 cans of beans, one pound of sausage, one large or two medium carrots, a medium onion, and kale to taste. Recipe calls for mashing some of the beans to thicken the soup and leaving some whole. You brown all the ingredients except the beans until the sausage is cooked through and the veggies are a bit soft (I use bulk sausage but you could buy whole sausages, take off the skin, and crumble the meat). Then add veggie or chicken stock and cook until the carrots and kale are pretty much done. (Alternatively, you can cook the sausage separately and set aside, removing some of the fat in the pan if there's too much, then cook the veggies a bit, and add back the meat and the stock.) Add the beans and cok until the soup thickens. A squirt of lemon added to each serving really adds a nice touch. I've made it with chicken Italian sausage and that tastes just as good. I imagine you could use the Italian sausage version of one of the non-meat proteins and veggie stock for a vegetarian version.
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter