Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
ITRR - that's a good idea. I may try it Thx.

I have cut the big outside pieces into lengths, blanched and cooled them. I didn't have any ice cubes but Fort McMurray cold tap water is close to ice water in the winter. I dried the celery and now the pieces are in the garage on a cookie sheet freezing. Blanched vegetables always look so nice!!! No big loss if it doesn't work.-, but it should.

I'll try wrapping the rest in tin foil and put it in the frig. I think I have read about that but never tried it. I quite like munching on a stalk of celery sometimes.

cw - Frozen diced onions are so handy!!!!
(2)

I don't see any reason you can't freeze celery just like you would any other vegetable. I know you can buy frozen diced onions.
(1)

Golden, I saute celery with carrots and onions in butter, then freeze for starters. 1 cup containers because of how I use them.

I have found wrapping the celery in foil wrap keeps it crisp for a long time too.
(0)

glad - I think they would be awesome!
(1)

Wonder how my Swedish meatballs and gravy will be with a sweet potato....
(2)

Ah sweet potato fries My fave!!!

Has anyone tried freezing celery, blanched or otherwise? I am about to try blanching first which is supposed to give better results.

I can never keep celery. It goes limp before I use it up then I don't have any on hand for soup so I thought I would try freezing some. Peppers are easy. I just cut them in strips and freeze on a cookie sheet, then bag them. Wondering if I can do that to onions as well.
(1)

cw,

I do like sweet potato fries. I haven’t tried them in a soup or chili. I will have to try it.

Sweet potatoes have wonderful flavor but I cook them the same way over and over, either in the oven or instant pot. They’re good but I think I would enjoy trying different recipes.
(1)

I love adding diced sweet potatoes to chili or to taco soup, their sweet flavour compliments the spiciness. And sweet potato fries make a nice change to regular fries.
(1)

ITRR,

That sounds amazing! Your recipes always sound delicious. I eat salad year round!

Purple sweet potatoes? Haven’t had those. Sounds pretty! I adore sweet potato pie. I prefer it to pumpkin pie.

The soup recipe that I looked at called for everything to be puréed. Some people said in reviews that they left it as is and ate it like a stew. I think the first time I tried it I would follow the original recipe.
(0)

Need, never tried that recipe but, grilled and chilled sweet potatoes make a wonderful salad topping.

We enjoy lots of different grilled and chilled veggies on fresh greens. Mixes salads up nicely.

Even though salads are a summer thing, the lettuce is better here during the winter. So we eat way more salads during this time.

I am making a purple sweet potato pie tomorrow. I really hope it turns out.
(2)

I love sweet potatoes. I have never tried them as a savory dish though.

I just saw a recipe for sweet potatoes, carrots, apples and red lentils that are combined to make soup. Sounds interesting.

Has anyone tried this?
(1)

Bridget,

Sounds delicious! Enjoy your celebration with your family.
(1)

We're having our family Christmas dinner this evening. Very casual. I made ham salad and two kinds of chicken salad. Ordered croissants and finger rolls from bakery. Not sure what everyone else is bringing. But should be fun.
(6)

Golden,

I may try pizza dough one day. We like veggie pizza.
(3)

Llama - I am sure the red beet soup will be good!!!

Need - bread making is not so difficult. I made a few mistakes when I started but I soon got the hang of it. Pizza dough is not hard to make.

Chicken crack slaw and low carb flax seed buns made and a serving eaten for lunch, Hot Italian sausages are in the oven. I'll have some sausages and spinach salad for supper. It's cold outside so it is a good day to use the oven.
(5)

Llama,

I don’t blame you! There are wonderful choices of bread that we are able to purchase.

I always wanted to learn how to make a really good pizza dough. I have never tried it.

I love the episode of I Love Lucy where she makes pizza! So funny!
(1)

Need: The black bread is store bought. At almost 76, I don't bake bread anymore.
(1)

Llama,

I just looked up a recipe for black bread. Looks good.

Bread making is a labor of love. I buy my bread. I love when my neighbor gives me a loaf of her homemade bread.

One year my brother gave my mom a bread machine for Christmas. She returned it. She was a fabulous cook but was never interested in making bread. She made biscuits. But no bread. My grandmother didn’t make it either.

I do love making soup though. I find it relaxing.
(1)

Need: DH said he had "toasted black bread with his breakfast."
(1)

golden: Yes, I will be making borscht, but DH's grandmother called it red beet soup. DH bought some black bread, but I will be getting fresh.
That turkey soup that you plan to make sounds delicious. Apples and prunes sound like a great addition.
(1)

llama - you are making borscht? Love it and black bread, Mother always had some black bread or heavy rye bread in the house. It's wonderful with cheeses.

A turkey carcass IS gold. In the Norwegian style we had apples and prunes with our turkey so had them in the soup too. It was good. Haven't had that for ages.
(2)

Happy Anniversary, Barb!
(1)

Llama,

I have never had black bread. Do you only eat it when you make your soup?
(2)

Barb: Happy 20th wedding anniversary.💞
(1)

golden: That turkey carcass is gold!
(2)

DH wants red beet soup, which I will be putting together at some point. Already got the beets and will donate half to the food pantry. Black bread goes with it.
(3)

glad - that sounds so good!!!!

eva - that IS immodest! I like my dark chocolate the way my Norwegian grandmother taught me -take a bite and drink your coffee through it so the chocolates melts with the hot coffee. Heavenly! Then a little goes a long way. One square does it!

I found some red beet and red cabbage sauerkraut and had some of it with the remains of a pork tenderloin for supper. Must get a red cabbage and make braised red cabbage with bacon and apple and caraway seeds,. It goes very well with pork and freezes well.
(3)

Yes Golden,
Very immodest, big chocolate bar was a little snack!
(2)

Swedish meatballs were yummy, with a baked potato and plain greek yogurt (liked it better than sour cream) and I just happened to have pickled beets in the fridge that are often served with the meatballs.

YUMMY!
(3)

glad - Swedish meatballs Yum!!! Haven't done them in ages.

Congrats on your wedding anniversary, Barb. Glad you got home before the storm.

Evamar - A toxicologist says modest consumption of dark chocolate is nothing to be concerned about. Were you an immodest consumer?
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter