Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
My husband loves sauces too.

She’s struggling, Golden. Thanks for asking. I wish there was a cure for Crohn’s disease.

Maybe one day there will be a better way to treat it. With my daughter having diabetes this complicates everything as well.
(2)

R loves sauces and gravies. I think he would really like it and want a little cayenne in it. I have found a good vegan "whipping cream" which I can cook with, or use regular cream and eat mine with apple sauce or gravy before the cream is added. I have started making cream soups with this product and it works well. There are so many more substitutions for wheat/barley rye and oats, and dairy now than there used to be.

Need - How's your daughter doing?
(1)

Golden,

I do it the same as you. I take my tenderloin out at 140 - 145. It’s still cooking as it rests before slicing it.

I roast veggies with mine too. So good!

Burnt’s paprika cream does sound wonderful. I may have to try it!
(1)

Making more chicken soup/bone broth again.

I roast my pork tenderloin seasoned with garlic and rosemary @ 425 for a short period of time. It's not dry as long as you don't leave it in for long. I use a meat thermometer and cook till over 145. Sometimes I roast apple wedges with it or onion and carrots. Love apple sauce with my pork roast!

Some good ideas from everyone posting below. The paprika cream gravy sounds wonderful.
(1)

Send,

I love garlic too!
(1)

Thanks!
Pepper Jelly and Poblano peppers sound good!
The fresh garlic, mushrooms, and sour cream (or greek yogurt, plain) would have helped!

I also thought of celery, parsely, and cilantro that I often use. I did use soy sauce and chili powder. I forgot the garlic.

Always a problem cooking if I want to omit anything tomato, like diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sun dried tomatoes, etc.

The pork tenderloin was never dry. Even after cooking 2 hours. By then I was in a hurry.
(2)

Burnt,

Sounds delicious! I love any kind of peppers.

My husband is like you are. He prefers evenly balanced seasonings. I can eat spicier foods more than my husband.

A woman at the farmers market asked me if a dip was hot. I told her that I didn’t think it was. Oh my gosh, she started choking and her eyes started tearing up! I felt horrible. I guess that she wasn’t used to heat. My husband said to the woman, “NEVER ask my wife if anything is hot!” LOL 😆

I haven’t tried cooking a pork loin (I buy tenderloin) on a low heat. I cook it at 425 for 20 to 30 minutes. If it cooks for longer it is dry!

I do cook a pork shoulder on low heat. I always do that overnight in a crockpot. I set it between eight and ten hours on low to cook. I find that the crockpot does a great job with a pork shoulder.
(1)

@Need

You're right about pork loin. It can dry out easily. I cook mine low heat and slow, tightly covered in a roasting pan and I baste it every 15-20 minutes while in the oven.
I did one in the slow cooker with smoked poblano peppers from Mexico. That was delicious. I love poblano peppers because they're just spicy enough. Not too much.
(1)

Burnt and Send,

Sounds yummy! I have been buying different flavors of pepper jelly from the farmers market and glazing my pork loin with.

The most important thing that I have found in cooking pork loin is not to overcook it. It will dry out horribly if overcooked.
(2)

@Send

What will make that pork loin irresistable is to make some German paprikachen (paprika cream) gravy with it. Delicious. Season that pork loin with some pink salt and spices then stuff it with some fresh garlic cloves, porcini mushrooms, shallots, and rosemary.
To make the gravy, use the drippings from the meat. Season it well with a good quality smoked paprika and proceed to make your gravy as you would. Then whisk in some sour cream at the end. That pork loin will be on. I'll eat pork once in a while. My husband does too. We just don't tell his parents.
(2)

Pork Tenderloin, carrots, onions, and potatoes.
Just average even though it had spices, flavorings,
and a gravy made from chicken stock, lots of butter, and flour.
It could have used some salt, but, no, not much salt.

Have lost my desire for a salad because we are out of Bob's Big Boy Blue Cheese Salad dressing.

What I really need is a hot fudge sunday, add bananas.
(5)

Shepard's pie, broccoli on the side.
(4)

I made Pork chops bone-in with onions, potatoes, garlic, rosemary cooked in olive oil and white wine. Hubby poured a robust red wine. Bon Appetit! PS - Hi to my friends ❣️
(3)

Heck I forgot I have a spagetti squash in the fridge!
(2)

I am making roasted spaghetti squash to toss with homemade pesto sauce and petite peas topped with some parmesan cheese. This is a go-to quick easy supper for us. This after we have spent the last 2 weeks physically moving stuff from my late Mom's house and moving stuff from ours to her house in preparation for the estate sale to be held at the end of this week. My hubby and I are exhausted after going through everything and both houses are in a mess. We have eaten carry-out for days and it will be good to have something homemade.
Next will be some repairs and getting the house on the market. It has been heart-wrenching to go through it all and say goodbye to heirloom family furniture but I have a small house and only so much room. I know I still kept too much but will continue to pare down as I am able to let go. I feel some guilt about those items as I know Mom kept the antique furniture handed down through her from my Dad's family because I wanted it and intended to use it. But, time has passed, things have changed, and now I am getting older myself. There are no children to pass anything to, even if they wanted it, which most these days don't. All that beautiful china and cherry wood furniture. What a shame. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it.
Anyway, I have been able to feel grief for her death again which is good because I was so consumed with handling probate and taxes and logistics etc... I was overwhelmed and had great anxiety and could not feel the grief. It was submerged. Thank you Jesus, the overwhelming anxiety has abated some and I can sleep some again. My faith is increased through this time of trouble. I can't believe she passed away 9 months ago already. I miss her. Going through all the belongings has helped me remember her as she was when she was younger and all we used to enjoy together. For a while all I could remember was her aging, decline and death. I think there is some ptsd for us who are up close to that process.
I am moving forward and toward a new purpose, joy in my treasured memories, and the retirement of my hubby. One step at a time. I appreciate this site and all who post here so much. It is a great help to share with others and a privilege to be allowed in to see the struggles of others.
(3)

Bandy,
That was last night's dinner, would have shared had I known.

Thinking I should order a large pizza and freeze some.
(1)

Creamy Chicken and Garlic Pizza
Is once a week ordering out too much?

Loving that my dH is helping make spaghetti now.
He has just a bit of trouble putting the ingredients all together at the end, but I have always liked the pasta sauce poured over the pasta instead of mixed all together. If I show up in time, we've got this! Yum!

I think that coconut oil may be good for hair. If not, try olive oil. Then wash off.
(2)

ITRR,

Oooooh, movie theater popcorn. Yummy 😋!
(1)

I have to chime in about coconut oil.

If you want the movie theater experience, cook your popcorn in coconut oil.

I am allergic and can not use it, so I stick to peanut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, avocado oil and butter for cooking.

It is really a personal taste preference and what you are cooking. IMO
(2)

burnt - thanks for the info. I bake very little these days but may try it!
(1)

@Need

Coconut oil gives a very nice flavor to some kinds of baked goods. I made a pina colada cake and it worked very nice in the frosting.
I would not cook with it though.
(2)

Burnt,

Thanks for the feedback. I keep seeing recipes that call for it and I have been skeptical about trying it.

From what you say, I would try it in baking though.
(1)

@golden and Need

I do not cook with coconut oil. It's nasty to cook with. I find baking with it is a different story altogether. I made a cake recipe that's supposed to be like a Mounds candy bar (chocolate and coconut). I took a chance and used coconut oil instead of butter in the cake. Really good. I've used it in cookies too. I like it for baking.
(2)

Need - I find it strong when it first heats up. People can have different senses of taste and smell. Once whatever is cooked it's OK when I eat it.. I really like to cook with peanut oil but I often can't get it. Much of my cooking is done with cooking spray and a non stick pan, Olive oil is good for you but has a low smoke point so it doesn't tolerate high heat.
(3)

Golden,

Is the taste of coconut oil that strong? It smells bad? I haven’t tried it but I see a lot of recipes that use it. I was just wondering if I am missing out on anything. I generally use olive oil for cooking.
(1)

Pam - glad you had a good time with your family. Hope Aunt recovers well.

Need - the crock pot chicken sounds good! I have used coconut oil but only as any other oil. It's not my favourite due to the smell/taste.

Tuna salad for supper with a few fresh blackberries and green tea.
(1)

Who cooks with coconut oil? I haven’t tried it yet. I pretty much only use olive oil.

If you use it, please share how you implement it in your cooking and why you use it?
(1)

Pam,

I think everyone has an oddball or two in their families! LOL 😆

I remember one of the characters in Lion King making a reference to this. I love that movie. My daughters viewed that movie a bazillion times! We bought it back when VCR’s were popular.
(2)

Need I call it a family reunion because so many of us were there as a cousin from TX came with her hubs, the DD and SIL who is on leave/vacay from the army, thier 2 wonderful kids and 4 dogs! we havent see them since the last wedding in TX about 5 years ago. Most of us are in our 60's , mostly retired. Our kids are in thier 30s, about 6 of them,, then a few brought their kids,, maybe 7, from a baby to a 14 YO. Alot of my generation did not come due to other obligations, and same with the grands,, and forget about the couple of GGs who probably were not even interested. From my generation it was hubs and I , and 6 of Aunts kids with spouses. I may have missed a few,, it was crowded/loud and lots of fun. We are spread out over PA, MD and TX and it's hard to get together unless its a wedding or funeral. Seems the younger bunch are not so interested. And there is always someone who doesnt get along with someone else.. LOL
(3)

Pam,

Glad you had fun at the reunion. It’s sad that your aunt couldn’t make it. I’m sure she’ll be glad to see you when you visit her.

So, what were the ages of people that attended your reunion?

When I went to my 90 year old cousin’s birthday celebration, there were a variety of ages, from babies to my 90 year old cousin

They actually placed 90 candles on his birthday cake and the poor guy said that he didn’t have enough air to blow them out.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter