Follow
Read More
NHWM, sorry I didn't see your question until now. I would say at least 5 minutes in the microwave. They should feel a little tender.

Tonight we are having baked spaghetti squash (in lieu of pasta) with a ground turkey tomato sauce(marinara type).

Happy mealtimes everyone.
(3)

I made chicken noodle soup. I had chicken and broth in the freezer along with homemade noodles my neighbor made. Added some carrot, celery and onion. Smells good.
(5)

I made a pork tenderloin with roasted broccoli and cauliflower. So easy and delicious! I baked everything on a large sheet pan.
(4)

Golden,

I haven’t tried beans in the pressure cooker. My mom did that sometimes. I am going to do this soon.

Ali,

Your eggs sound delicious! Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches are always a good a good choice.

Max,

I like frittatas better than quiche.
(3)

cw - Love hummus too and multi bean soup.

Need - sausage would be a good addition.

for me black beans are the best. Lime works very well with them.

Kidney beans made in the electric pressure cooker come out so creamy and awesome.

Max - frittatas are great. You can put so many different veggies in them.

Ali - interesting. I love green onions and grape tomatoes fried up with my eggs too. BLT used to be one of my fave sandwiches when I ate them.

Thank goodness I had supper - rotisserie chicken - or I would be hungry by now.
(5)

Ali - you might also like tomatillo salsa with your eggs. I make it from scratch. Your "so called" tapanade sounds so tasty!
(5)

cw,

Do you still have the bean salad recipe from your mom? I would love to make it. I’m going to search online for a recipe. It’s a healthy salad with protein since it is made with beans.

Sausage in bean soup is delicious, especially when it’s from a local butcher shop.

Please share your red lentil recipe! Yum!
(2)

I love hummus!

Mom used to make a bean salad with those home grown beans but I can't remember when I last had that. Her bean soup was better than mine too, I think it was the sausage from the local butcher that made the difference.

I use a lot of lentils too in soups or tacos or sloppy joes, and I've got a killer recipe for red lentil dahl.
(4)

I just snarfed down a BLTAO on some toasted wheat bread. The simple BLT with mayo, and then I add any other veggie I have that sounds good. Tonight's add-ons were onion and avocado.

It's one of my favorite sandwiches. :)

Earlier, I made eggs (I went for a sunnyside prep but botched them) and added my usual "tapenade" with them - chopped green onions and grape tomatoes, spritzed with balsamic and truffle oil, then simmered for 5 mins or so. It's not actually a tapenade but I don't know what you would call it. I've been making this topper for eggs for a few years.
(3)

Frittata with fried green and red small bell peppers, with fried onions in olive oil with mozzarella and of course eggs. Buon Appetit!
(6)

Pam,

What yummy food has your husband been making for you? You should rent him out as a chef! 😊

He’s a keeper! Some husbands are wonderful cooks and others not so much. My husband is a good cook too. He even cleans up after himself!

My oldest brother was a fabulous cook but oh my gosh, he made a giant mess in the kitchen when he cooked and didn’t clean afterwards! He just left it until the next day to clean. I can’t do that. I have to have my kitchen cleaned before going to bed.
(3)

cw,

I buy the mixed veggies with lima beans. What’s the other veggie with lima beans? Oh yeah, succotash. Corn and lima beans. Guess you’re not a fan of that either.

We can’t like everything! There are foods that I won’t even try because I hate the name of it! LOL 😆

There is a farmers market that I visit that sells great legume dishes. One of the vendors is Greek. He makes the best white beans salad. It’s delicious! Another vendor who is from the Middle East has a wonderful lentil salad.

Do you enjoy hummus? I love it! I eat it with raw veggies as a dip or pita bread.
(1)

I think most plain cooked beans have a similar flavour profile and you can pretty much mix and match in recipes, but like most people I tend to use the traditional kind called for in each recipe.
Except for chick peas (garbanzo), they are very different.

I do not like lima beans (why oh why do they put them in the frozen mixed vegetable blend?), and I'm not really a fan of any kind of peas.
(2)

cw,

Do you have a favorite bean? I like all of them, red (kidney), pinto, black, great northern, navy, lima and black eyed peas. I also love lentils, chick peas and split peas. I finally tried chick pea pasta. It’s good! My daughter told me to try it.

I have a Cuban friend who makes excellent black beans. Hers come out way better than mine.
(0)

River,

How long in the microwave? I am going to try this method because it may reduce some of the liquid that is in the peppers. Sometimes it waters down the tomato sauce that I bake my peppers in.

Thanks for explaining your recipe. Have you tried it with yellow squash too? I suppose it would be just as tasty as zucchini. I love both.
(1)

NHWM I put them in the oven to soften them a bit before adding the stuffing. I microwave peppers when stuffing those. I feel it blends the dish better and one wants to eat the zucchini or peppers after the stuffing
(1)

cw,

Thanks for explaining this. I was wondering what ‘pea’ beans were. Yes, we say ‘navy’ beans.

No wonder your mom made them so well if your dad grew them. You always had them available and she most likely cooked them often. She perfected her recipe!
(1)

Yes; white beans, pea beans, navy beans... whatever you want to call them. We made baked beans often because my dad used to grow white pea beans, we always dipped a pailful out of the hopper to use through the year. I've only recently figured out that navy beans are the same thing as pea beans and they are apparently called that in America because you used to serve them to your sailors.
(1)

My mom has made broccoli cheese soup and chili and is starting a big pan of fried cornbread. My kids think they've died and gone to heaven. She made biscuits and gravy for breakfast.
(3)

cw,

Do you use navy beans for your baked beans? I looked up a recipe for baked beans and that is what they used.

I love baked beans. I should try to make some.

Our area is known for beans and rice more than anything else. Louisiana grows a fair amount of rice.

It’s interesting that food is different in different areas. New Orleans serves red beans and rice, traditionally eaten on Mondays. In Cajun country, such as, Lafayette, Louisiana, they serve white beans and rice, either navy or great northern beans.
(1)

Riverdale,

That sounds awesome!

I want to try stuffed zucchini. I make stuffed peppers. I don’t boil the peppers first. I cook the stuffing, place it in the peppers and then bake in oven for about an hour.

I found an instant pot recipe for peppers that doesn’t require cooking the meat mixture before placing in the peppers. I was skeptical about it but decided to try. It was great. So, there are various ways to cook stuffed peppers.

Do you bake these in the oven? Why do you need to boil the zucchini? Can’t you just stuff and bake like it’s done with peppers?

Your zucchini dish sounds delicious!
(2)

I've made a lot of baked beans through the years but even though they are usually good I was never completely satisfied with how they turned out. I finally managed to make baked beans that were similar to the ones my mom used to make, turns out it was a simple as pulling out my old recipe box and following the card labelled "Ma's Baked Beans"🤣
(4)

I stuffed zucchini with a combination of sautéed onions,ground beef,cooked brown rice,chopped mushrooms. I added seasonings I preferred. I also added chopped heirloom tomatoes.
Cook the zucchini in a pan of water for about 20 minutes before adding stuffing. After all this cooked for another 45 minutes I topped it with a sauce made of cooking sherry,feta cheese, a little milk and 4 eggs. I put that in the blender. We had about 12 zucchini halves put in a large baking pan
The sauce on top was very good. The eggs gave it more substance. I improvised from a recipe in a healthy recipe book.
(2)

I have a pot of soup simmering on the stove. Something about making soup is therapeutic for me. I love chopping up all of the veggies and enjoy eating a nourishing bowl of soup.
(4)

Taco salad & applesauce with iced tea
(3)

My Mom arrived from Kansas this afternoon. One of my brothers is having all of us at his house for dinner. She's solved one mystery for us. My brothers and I all have grandsons with red hair. We didn't know where that came from. She says there a lot of red heads in her mother's family.
(2)

Took my MIL out to a late lunch. Clam chowder and salad. Taking my kids to the Bruins/Oilers on Thurs. evening. On 3/14 going to Chicago for the Bruins/Black Hawks . I have a stray Chicago fan in my youngest son.
(3)

G, they have had many injuries. It now looks like they are getting healthy just when they need to.
(1)

I'm surprised Glad. Colorado had such a great year last year. Whereas the Canucks are consistantly bad.
(3)

This is what ESPN says about Avs season

Schedule27-18-4, 3rd in Central Division.

Not at all wonderful!
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter