Follow
Read More
I am going to make an asparagus puff pastry with cheese. I have never worked with puff pastry before. It will be interesting. Looks yummy!

https://thewimpyvegetarian.com/4-ingredient-asparagus-puff-pastry-tart-with-cheese/
(3)

Today we are having turkey casserole. I roasted the turkey yesterday and the casserole (usually made with chicken but adapted to turkey this time) is just placing the meat on the bottom of a baking dish then covering with cornbread dressing and topped with gravy made from roasting drippings. You can use a can of condensed cream of chicken but the dripping gravy has far less sodium and tastes better to us. A few veggies and rolls on the side with some blueberry cobbler and we have our Easter Sunday dinner.
(4)

Techie,

I don’t eat a lot of sodium either. I find that too much sodium will definitely cause a spike in my blood pressure too.

I happen to like tortillas so I would eat it. I love scrambled eggs served in a tortilla.
(3)

NHWM, it's not as good as a real grilled cheese but it's faster to make and the "littles" love making them themselves so they're going to be part of my life at least through the summer. I've found a thin tortilla that only has 30mg of sodium, so for me there'll a reduced sodium option, even over my local "lite" bread which is a slightly smaller and thinner slice. My blood pressure is much better when I watch the salt; I have even been able to lose some of the meds! The tortilla can be grilled in the skillet too and is then as good as a grilled cheese, but I'm not ready to show the littles that yet...
(2)

Techie,

I would eat that! What’s not to like? Sounds great.

Way,

Let us know if you make an ironed grilled cheese!
(2)

TNtechie.

Sounds yummy !
There is an oldish movie called Benny and Joon . In the movie they make grilled cheese on an ironing board and hold the iron on the sandwich , flip it over and hold the iron on the other side . My daughter and I have always wanted to try that. Lol
(4)

New (at least to me) way to do a grilled cheese quick and easy. Take a tortilla, place your cheese in it (and other goodies like some spinach and tomato slice), fold the sides toward the middle and then fold it in half the other way. Put it in the toaster and you have a good toasted cheese.
(3)

My daughters are the same. They have stuff that they leave here as well.

We are always looking for phone chargers! When we can’t find them we know that they snatched them up and they are in their rooms.
(3)

Need,

I’ll take it !! My kids know they are always welcome . I feel fortunate that they still call our house “ going home” . They leave pajamas here still and other random things . They never totally moved out .

They do tend to steal my phone chargers when they leave though .
They think they are taking their own chargers when they pack . Lol
(4)

Way,

My daughters invited themselves over to our house too! We are doing a ham with baked sweet potatoes and roasted green beans. Keeping it simple, buying the dessert this year.
(4)

Bundle , very funny , Lol.

Actually my kids invited themselves over for the weekend. Tonight is Lasagna with salad and garlic bread . Tomorrow is ham with veggies .
The kids don’t know it yet , but they are making the chocolate chip cookies . Haha.
(4)

grilled cheese from Way2tired.
well, she doesn't know it yet.
(2)

Evamar,

I agree that as long as everything is in moderation it isn’t a big deal.
(4)

Thanks NHWM,
Taking a break until we attack cheese platter. Hubby loves cheese, especially brie, as per PD recommendation cheese is not to good for him, but, on occasion everything is good.
(3)

Evamar,

Sounds delicious!
(2)

We just had delicious challah bread and leftover crepes with ricotta cheese and blueberry sauce.
Dinner with friends, roast, veggies and potatoes. Made some appetizers and of course cheese platter as it is almost expected in this house and cake for dessert.
Too much food for one day. Have a great Easter!
(4)

Ana -thx for the reminder. I used to make that years ago. The family liked it. I also did pork riblets in sweet and sour pineapple sauce with green peppers. and served on rice.

Tonight was a version of chicken crack slaw.
(2)

Not as yummy as Greek, but I have pot of pineapple, peppers and chicken in the oven. Now to cook the rice. A family favourite.
(3)

River,

I absolutely adore Greek cuisine! I wonder if I would like it prepared that way.

I attend a Greek festival every year but I have never seen beets being served. I go straight for the lamb dishes! Of course, I get pastries too!

I do go to Greek restaurants too. Never thought about eating beets at them.
(3)

Need,my husband hated beets until my Greek father made them. Now he loves them. As a last ditch effort if you have a good Greek restaurant in your city you might give them a chance if they are on the menu.

Otherwise I certainly understand to each his own.
(3)

Pam,

No offense but just the thought of beets and eggs pickled together would make me vomit 🤮! LOL 😝 I gross out seeing eggs floating in a jar. It’s weird!

I hate beets with a passion! I have tried them numerous ways from numerous restaurants and home cooks trying to like them because they are loaded with vitamins. No thanks! I will get my vitamins elsewhere.

I do think the color of beets is beautiful!

My craziest egg story is when I was walking with my boyfriend. He had a beautiful German shepherd that we walked daily.

It was around this time of year. The Easter season. He didn’t celebrate Easter though. He was Jewish.

I love Easter candy and would share my candy with him. Well, one day we were walking his dog and he spotted a blue egg on the ground. He picked it up and took a big bite! Hahaha 🤣, it was a beautiful blue robin’s egg. He made a horrible face!

He screamed, “Sh*t! That was a real egg and not a candy egg!” I started laughing hysterically and asked him why on earth would he even eat something off of the ground? I still think of him whenever I see a robin and smile. He was a sweet guy who always made me laugh.
(1)

Need yes she did but we were preteens at the time! The teenagers at the bowling alley all changed into "regular" clothes , and some had hot cars.
Had to laugh about the Lutheran minister..we are called the liberal ones.. LOL
Pickled beets and eggs are a Lancaster Co thing I love,, we just hard boil eggs, dump beets all over them and add vinegar and maybe some sugar and pickling spices. They are wonderful after they sit a day or so!
(2)

cw,

I can’t imagine how pickled eggs would taste. It just sounds weird to me.

Maybe I am missing out on something good though. I should try them before saying that they are gross. I don’t like the way they look.

It grosses me out to see eggs floating in jars! LOL 😆
(2)

Oh I've done cheater pickled eggs too, I just toss my boiled eggs into the brine left over from pickled beets (or your favourite pickles). They are great as is or you can use them for egg salad.
(2)

I don’t do canning but may try it someday.

I buy mason jars because I love them for storing individual portions. Plus, I am not crazy about using plastic containers. I always lose the lids to storage containers!
(1)

The woman at our farmers market frequently sells out of her products. She makes a killer pepper jelly! I always buy it from her. Sometimes, I will buy it to glaze a pork loin. It’s delicious!
(3)

cw,

Look at the article in allrecipes.com at, 40 Foods You Can Pickle.

I would never in a million years have thought of pickling avocados! People have pickled all kinds of things.
(1)

@cwiilie

I do lots of canning too. Fruit preserves, dessert sauces, marinara, vodka sauce... all kinds of things.
I do the old-fashioned hot water bath right on the stove top to seal the jars.
(3)

cw,

That’s how my grandma did it too. She didn’t have a pressure cooker either.

Every now and then I have seen a large jar of pickled eggs. The sight of those gross me out. I must admit that I have never tried them, nor do I feel that I ever will! They look disgusting 🤮 to me!
(1)

NHWM - Since I am now alone I mostly I just buy what I need, but have made chili sauce and salsa to use up extra tomatoes and canned a few jars of peaches because the ones you buy are awful.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter