Follow
Read More
cw,

I love going to the Farmers Market for goodies!

Enjoy, if you decide to go.
(1)

cwillie ,

Go for it. Too hot to cook and get your own kitchen hot.
(1)

I've been spending a lot lately and vowed to watch my budget but there is supposed to be a good fish and chip truck coming to our farmer's market this afternoon....🐟🍟
(3)

Has anyone tried Hungryroot? Looks pretty good and really convenient!
(1)

Today has been interesting. KC strip for dinner...dog is happy. She gets scraps.

I still have a landline and my internet goes through that (rural living) But, Earlier this week, I got a router through a cell carrier and have been trying it out. I need an antenna because I always lose bars in my house for cell coverage.

The internet works well in one room, until I get my antenna. However, it is better than the landline one because that has been down all day. I tried to call them to tell them about the line actually being down in my front yard and cannot get any humans to tell. It just kept repeating that there is a known outage in my area and should be fixed tomorrow.

So, I guess that my decision is being made for me. Good timing.
(5)

cw,

I have done that too. It depends on what I feel like doing. I like my slow cooker for pork roast too.

I love roasting a chicken because I can use leftovers for other dishes.

I have never tried pasta in my slow cooker because I remember ITRR saying that it wasn’t good. I trust her opinion because she is a fabulous cook!

My family likes baked mac and cheese anyway but I know that some people make mac and cheese in the crockpot.
(1)

I generally make my whole rotisserie style chickens in the slow cooker - season as desired, pop it on a trivet (no added liquid necessary) and cook for about 4 hours (check it after 3). You don't get the crispy skin but if you want you can always pop it under the broiler for a few minutes.
(2)

Cashew,

That is certainly a plus in our high temperatures!
(0)

@NHWM
I am roasting a whole chicken in my air fryer...doesn't heat up the house even though it's 100 outside, uses less electricity than a regular stove. drippings held underneath and away from the chicken, if I feel the need to make gravy...which I probably won't, today.
(3)

I’m roasting a chicken and veggies for dinner.
(1)

Send,

That’s awful. There have been food recalls on lots of things.

I buy fresh strawberries.

Awhile back they had a recall on peanut butter. I threw my jar of peanut butter out and bought a different brand that was safe.
(2)

“Just goes to prove that organic doesn't necessarily mean healthier, or safer.”

This is exactly what I tell myself, while I eat French fries.
(2)

Just goes to prove that organic doesn't necessarily mean healthier, or safer.
(3)

Snagged some organic blackberries, since strawberries had been on a recall, I think....do not recall when, where, or why.

If you serve blackberries with cottage cheese, it turns the cottage cheese purple, not black.

Edit:
Here I am, with the bad news:

2023 Hepatitis A outbreak associated with frozen organic strawberries
June 9, 2023
(2)

Thanks, Kat!

I am going to try this.
(2)

NHWM, 4 ingredients EASY to pull together!
https://iheartvegetables.com/black-bean-fritters/
(1)

Kat,

Are those easy to make? I love black beans!
(1)

Black bean fritter, sweet potato fries & creamy macaroni salad.
(2)

I felt like eggplant for dinner. I’m going to make my mom’s recipe for baked stuffed eggplant with shrimp!

My mom and grandma were excellent cooks. It’s funny how we can follow a recipe exactly but in our minds it never tastes as good as when our mom made it!
(4)

Kat!

Nice! Glad that you enjoyed the visit.
(1)

CW, best laid plans. Grrr!

I recommend frozen fruit and making a chunky (smooshed blueberries) pureed (frozen) fruit sauce to use on the cake or do this and buy a frozen cheesecake to use it on.
(3)

Aaaand there are no strawberries in the store. There will "probably" be some on the truck when it arrives at some unknown time, but "they go fast". I was able to grab the last pint of blueberries though 🙄🙄🙄
(2)

NHWM, a lot of ‘firsts’ on our trip to Nola in ‘81 to see the Eagles in the Super Bowl. Lunched at Brennan’s and enjoyed, of course, their world famous bananas foster 😍

No flambé at home in using the crockpot, but delicious nonetheless! And zero heat from my oven - which I love!
(2)

I remember mom making that back in the day ITRR and we all thought it was fantastic.
My friend just emailed me she was asked to bring cake, so I guess a bowl of berries to go with will be perfect (and easy).
(2)

Riverdale: the stuffed peppers from Costco are awesome. When I make it I transfer them to a larger pan and pour an entire jar of Rao's tomato sauce (any one) over the peppers then cook per the instructions. I grew up with my parents making stuffed peppers and they are a lot of work. The Costco ones are tasty but dry, and taste just as good as homemade. Plus, way cheaper if you had to purchase the ingredients to make from scratch.
(0)

CW, I know you said you don't want to bake but, a jello cake is a cool summer dessert, with some fresh fruit.

Look it up and see.

My sister always made a strawberry one with some fresh strawberries on top, never a piece left.
(1)

cw,

I am sure that whatever you make it will be enjoyed by all!

My thin husband always checks out deserts first!! 😊
(2)

Kat,

New Orleans gal, here! Now, you’re speaking my language!
(1)

Our family makes a fruit bowl salad of watermelon, cantaloupe, canned pineapple chucks, apple chunks, raisins, blueberries and strawberries if available. We make a dressing with plain yogurt, vanilla, and a little powder sugar (or use the pineapple juice). If you make it ahead of time and let it get very cold, it doesn't warm up very fast at a summer party (assuming its in the shade). Here it's not that expensive but you do spend some time cutting all that fruit into bite sized pieces.

My grandfather liked to add orange slices too; canned mandarins if fresh wasn't available. Some years we used grapes off the vines or peaches or cherries; one year the trees yielded enough pears to include them too. I remember making a couple of quarts of this for my great-great-aunts one year at Christmas (they were in their 90s) and them being delighted. I made some every month after that and my mother would take it to them when she took their clean laundry.

Don't know where this recipe came from; I just remember it always being around. We did change it to use yogurt instead of mayonnaise because some people in the community got ill from a mayonnaise based poisoning.
(4)

cw, do you have a crockpot? I made bananas foster in mine recently. Wonderful on top of vanilla ice cream!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter