Follow
Read More
My neighbour asked if her guests could use my driveway this afternoon in exchange for a piece of pumpkin pie and I happily agreed. By the end of the conversation she had added so many items to the pie that I think I might be getting a whole Christmas dinner tonight LOL.
(5)

CWillie,
Eating lots of salad, veges like broccoli, spinach, potatoes, carrots, purple cabbage. Daily, yes I do. Pumpkin is a vegetable.
They are not the main dish so I don't list them.

We both like sweet potatoes, sometimes it is dinner.

Interesting NHWM, cilantro does taste a bit like soap sometimes. But it is good in tacos.
(1)

Sounds delicious, Ana. Love Mediterranean cuisine. You can’t ever go wrong with homemade cookies!
(0)

cw,

I roast vegetables every week. I can’t eat cilantro. I have a specific DNA makeup where it tastes like soap. It even showed up on my genealogy test.

I read that some people have a DNA makeup where vegetables don’t taste good to them.
(0)

Greek-ish salad, fish and garlic bread. Trying to keep my grubby mitts out of the Christmas chocolates and cookies. Must. Resist. Temptation.
(2)

Sounds like you need to add some veggies to your meal plan Send🥕🍠🫑🍅
I roasted up some carrots, rutabaga and onions tonight alongside a sweet potato and a couple of apples. Loooove my roast veg!
(0)

Have some fresh ground sirloin but very bored with the choices.
Last week had so many homemade hamburgers, trying to duplicate In N Out,
with the bun, sauce, and everything, including grilled onions.

Then, already had pasta, ground meat, spaghetti sauce.

Maybe tacos.

Would rather just keep eating desserts.
(1)

I buy sale items too. Groceries are so expensive these days. It seems like everything has gone up in price.

I started using almond milk on oatmeal. I love oatmeal. None of my siblings ate oatmeal when we were young. I was the only one. My dad loved oatmeal. I wanted everything that my dad had.

Mom never ate breakfast when we were children. She started eating it later on though after we were grown.
(0)

I just keep milk for general use like in my coffee or oatmeal, I can substitute or ration it if I have to. But milk was on sale, which is undoubtedly why they were sold out.
(1)

cw,

What do you need milk for? Can you substitute powdered milk or evaporated milk? Or a plant based milk in your recipe?
(0)

Listening to cooks on television say what their worst mistakes were in the kitchen when cooking for the holidays.

One person said that she placed her turkey in the oven and forgot to turn the oven on. LOL 😝
(0)

I just came from the grocery store loaded down with goodies - a Kuchenmeister luxury stollen for only $2, same price for a marzipan fruitcake, a dozen bite size cupcakes for a buck and some peanut butter squares for $2 🤤. Unfortunately they were sold out of milk, which was the thing I went for in the first place, but I'll try again on Wednesday.
(1)

I decided to order Chinese takeout. So good and nutritionally balanced. Got protein, carb and my greens in. No cook Friday - yeah!
(6)

Burger, baked potato, salad

I have a pint of crab meat in the freezer and am going to make some crab cakes tomorrow.
(2)

I fried up some bacon and tossed my leftover mashed potatoes and cabbage in the pan, I guess that would be what the Brits call bubble and squeak.
(5)

97: Have a great time with your daughter. The meal sounds delicious.
(0)

Prego chicken burger and fries 🍟
(0)

Yummy! Have a wonderful time with your daughter.
(2)

Piccanta flounder on creamed cauliflower with asparagus. Delicious. In Virginia visiting daughter.
(3)

Pasta primavera!!!!
(0)

I have a neighbor who makes venison chili that is really good.

He is a hunter and he throws a huge New Year’s Eve party every year. He always venison chili, stew and even a gumbo with venison in it.

He’s a great cook. His wife rarely cooks. She makes the cocktails! She enjoys eating his food that he makes for everyone.
(1)

My mom's hunter neighbour always promised to give us some moose meat but all he ever brought was venison so that's the only wild game I've ever had.... Hmmm🤔 on second thought he also brought a turkey breast once.
(2)

Moose chili. It's good!
(4)

Shrimp Creole
(5)

Evamar, It was okay after I added a bit of sugar to balance the heat.

Oh, I love sushi and wasabi! I also like horseradish.

My husband didn’t try it. 😝
(2)

NHWM,
How was the soup?
My husband is a wuss as well.
He watches me with amazement when I have sushi and lots of wasabi! Or horseradish!
(2)

Geaton,

Thanks! I thought about adding a bit of sugar to balance the flavor. I do have yogurt and sour cream in the fridge if I need to add it.

You’re right, possibly a little lemon or lime juice too.

I don’t think my husband is going to eat it. Oh well…the soup will be all mine!
(1)

Need, if it's a soup you can add plain yogurt, cream or sour cream, or add something sweet (like sugar or honey). Others recommend adding citrus, nut butter (like peanut), starch/carbs or just dilute it. It won't take all the heat out, though.
(1)

So, the good news first. New Orleans Saints are beating the New York Giants! 24 - 6. About three minutes left in the game.

Bad news, I felt like making a spicy Mexican soup. I went a little crazy with the spice, it’s hot 🥵!

My husband is a wuss when it comes to heat. He’s not going to eat it. I love spicy food but he doesn’t have the tolerance for the amount of heat that I can handle.

Is there anything that I can put in the soup to balance out the heat or should I just make him a sandwich? LOL 😝

Calling on all good cooks out there on this site for help. 😊
(1)

Thank you for starting this topic. It'll give me lots of ideas when I have brain drag in trying to decide what to make. Sometimes I've forgotten some of our favorite recipe/things after cooking over 40 years.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter