Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
We will have a quiet Thanksgiving this year and I’m happy about it. Christmas is bigger in our family and this year our son will be here! I’m really looking forward to having both my children together for Christmas. I plan to decorate more just for our 3 year grandsons! It will be fun having the grandies for the first time.

Here in our city, we paint small rocks and hide them around town. Whoever finds them, either rehides them or paints more to hide. On the back of the rock you paint (name of city Rocks). Take a picture to post in the city FB group. It it is fun community spirit and many cities around the country are doing this.
(2)

Your tradition of rocks sounds awesome.

I would like to bake Christmas cakes this year. I've always managed to squeeze that in but last year I didn't because I was too tired. Fingers crossed for this year.
(2)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have to say roasted turkey and mashed potatoes is one of my favorite meals!
(1)

Turkey sandwich with dressing, cranberry sauce, mayo, and a white soudough bread, the daybafter---my favorite!
(5)

Send,
You forgot pie for breakfast with a big cup of coffee
(2)

MsMadge,
Hubs had that! His favorite.
(2)

Three weeks till Christmas, so hard to believe. I do enjoy seeing all the Christmas lights and displays. It does bring a smile.
(0)

My colleague makes the cutest crochet animal hats. I picked up a cute little pink piggy hat for my baby niece!
(2)

cdnreader....Your'e baby niece is so lucky to have you for her Aunt.I can tell you Love her very much.She will look so cute in her new little piggy hat and it will keep her little head warm.That was very thoughtful of you.
(3)

I was fascinated with the Pentatonix Xmas songs. But today, I finally realized that I miss the oldies, like Bing Cosby, etc.. I found in YouTube a 3-hour Medley Xmas songs. My favorite xmas songs are Frosty the Snowman and The Drummer Boy - the older versions (not the modern singers' version.) .. I was just about to go and shower, shut the door, and heard through the door - Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time... I haven't heard that song in a long time!  Not even last year.. I just had to come out and listen to it properly.  It's almost bedtime.  So, I'm going to bookmark this YouTube video. I'm sure there are lots of other songs I haven't heard in a while.
(6)

Bookluvr,
As long as there is music!

All I need now to "decorate" is one ornament to hang outside on the distressed potted pine tree, dried out by the low humidity and crazy winds. It will be my very own "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree!
(2)

Dear luckylu,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you are well.

With the holidays fast approaching, I am looking forward to the Christmas baking. My favorite are ginger cookies. Soft and chewy are my favorite kinds.
(1)

Booklvr, I hear you. I was in the store yesterday and walked out sad. The Christmas songs they are playing are horrible, generic and loud. The religious origin of Christmas has been stamped out and replaced by Christmas rock, party or personal romance. The old hymns are gone from the public scene. Even on the radio you are 5 times more likely to hear "fun" Christmas music than O Little Town of Bethlehem. Thanks for the video link.
(1)

Listening to Statler Brothers Christmas Present and Statler Brothers Christmas Card albums on CD or you tube. The songs are unique and traditional. They do beautiful renditions of christmas songs country style in a perfect harmonious pitch.
(1)

I like to sing. I'm not sure anyone else likes to hear me sing, but....

The conversation about christmas songs had me searching youtube for all the advent and christmas music I grew up singing in church and I actually found a playlist somebody had posted from our old hymnbook, so I spent the morning singing the songs nobody seems to sing anymore, not even when I do make it to church. I've also enjoyed a couple of sing-a-longs in the nursing home, nobody there much cares how bad the singing is. (lol)
(4)

Anyone who wants to get snippy about pitch will just have to throw themselves into the spirit of it, CW!
(2)

😁 🎵🎵
(2)

Which reminds me - great party game for anyone in need of party games is "Pick Up Song."

Start playing a recording of your song of choice. E.g. "All I want for Christmas," that's a good one.

To start, the player begins by singing along. Once the player is fully under way, the MC fades the volume of the recording right down so that the player is now singing unaccompanied and must continue full pelt (it does help to have the lyrics to any songs you want to use because it's surprising how hard it can be to remember them), including any la-la-las, repetitions, breaks or instrumental passages.

After a pre-agreed time interval, the MC turns up the volume again; and the object of the game is to see how closely the player has managed to keep to the recording.

Well. That's the object. The fun is listening to grown men whooping uninhibitedly about I don't care about the presents underneath the Christmas tree.
(1)

I imagine that game goes better - well, is much more jovial anyway - after the partaking of a little liquid courage.
(4)

If it helps them not be shy, yes :)
(1)

The most famous reindeer of them all.....
How many reindeer does Santa have?
eight reindeer
In traditional lore, Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
(1)

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
(1)

MsMadge, I read your comment. And I immediately thought - I can make a flat stuffed hippo! Not 3-D, that takes too much thought and talent. I'm not a teenager anymore. I'll go buy the felt, draw a hippo, cut it, stuff it and mail it to you. ..
(3)

MsMadge,
A Hippo?!? Is that a song?

If you want a Hippo I hope you have a pool! And a big shovel!
(1)

There most certainly is a hippo song! One verse of which goes like this approximately...

The fair hippopotama he aimed to entice
With the something something
'Cos she hadn't got a ma to give her advice
Came tip-toeing down to her love.

Like something the something something
Of the song that he sang as they met
His inamorata
Adjusted her garter
And lifted her voice in duet:

[falsetto]

Mud! Mud! Glorious mud!
Nothing quite like it
For cooling the blood!
So follow me, follow
Down to the hollow
And there let us wallow
In glooooooorious mud.

From 'The Hippopotamus Song' by Michael Flanders & Donald Swann.
(0)

Here we are!

Lyrics for The Hippopotamus Song by Flanders & Swann
A bold hippopotamus was standing one day
On the banks of the cool Shalimar
He gazed at the bottom as he peacefully lay

By the light of the evening star
Away on the hilltop sat combing her hair
His fair hippopotami maid
The hippopotamus was no ignoramus
And sang her this sweet serenade

Mud, mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
So follow me follow, down to the hollow
And there let me wallow in glorious mud
The fair hippopotama he aimed to entice
From her seat on that hilltop above
As she hadn't got a ma to give her advice
Came tiptoeing down to her love
Like thunder the forest re-echoed the sound
Of the song that they sang as they met
His inamorata adjusted her garter
And lifted her voice in duet

Mud! Mud! etc.
Now more hippopotami began to convene
On the banks of that river so wide
I wonder now what am I to say of the scene
That ensued by the Shalimar side
They dived all at once with an ear-splitting splosh
Then rose to the surface again
A regular army of hippopotami
All singing this haunting refrain

Mud, mud, glorious mud
Nothing quite like it for cooling the blood
So follow me follow, down to the hollow
And there let us wallow in glorious mud
(0)

That Hippo song is sung on a very high pitch. Uhm.. kind of whiny... uhm, one of numerous nieces/nephews went thru that stage... I couldn’t watch the few Hippo song with that whiny sound. I had to watch several YouTube versions before finding one that didn’t sound whiny. Still sung in high pitch. Ohhh, that is a nice song {once the whiny sound is deleted}.
(0)

Only a hippopotamus will do
Don't want a doll, no dinky Tinkertoy
I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy

I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
He won't have to use our dirty chimney flue
Just bring him through the front door
That's the easy thing to do

I can see me now on Christmas morning
Creeping down the stairs
Oh, what joy and what surprise
When I open up my eyes
To see a hippo hero standing there

No crocodiles, no rhinoceroses
I only like hippopotamuses
And hippopotamuses like me too

Mom says the hippo would eat me up
But then teacher says a hippo is a vegetarian
There's lots of room for him in our two car garage
I'd feed him there and wash him there
And give him his massage

I can see me now on Christmas morning
Creeping down the stairs
Oh, what joy and what surprise
When I open up my eyes
To see a hippo hero standing there

No crocodiles or rhinoceroses
I only like hippopotamuses
And hippopotamuses like me too
(2)

I have always loved realistic looking dolls. When I had my first summer job, mom said that my money was all mine. (I wasn’t required to use it towards my 4 younger siblings.) Mom took me to a jewelry store and encouraged me that it was okay to spend so much money on something frivolous like jewelry. Next to the jewelry store was a mom/pop store. I found and fell in love with these 2 realistic small (17”) twin brother and sister. Black hair that were soft! I bought it.

For years I had them in my bedroom that I shared with fave sis. She hated those dolls. My family couldn’t stand them, creepy how their eyes followed them. To my regret, I finally caved in and got rid of them. ... As the years went by, I bought 2 more realistic dolls but the grown up version. One is obviously a studious teenager with eye glass. The second one is an young medium brown skin Indian in brown leather outfit with long black hair and eye glass (looks like my people.)

Lastnight, I found the ultimate realistic doll in Amazon. I actually gasped when I first saw it. She’s described as similar to Mexican. I debated for hours because she’s quite expensive. I finally asked myself, “Will I regret not buying her?” Immediately answered yes. And guess what, the shipping cost was only $13 not a ridiculous price of $25 +... I still have some leftover Amazon gift card which I applied to the purchase. I got it!!

FYI, I went to the doll’s official website and was going to buy an oriental dress with matching shoes and a black boots plus $5.50 shipping = $33.00. OMG, when I put my zip code in at payment, the shipping cost went from $6 to $55!!! Heck no! I didn’t buy it.
(2)

When I was a little girl I went through a stage when I actually wanted a real hippopotamus.. I'm not sure why (maybe that song inspired me?)..... I was a strange child
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter