Follow
Read More
I have never heard of durkees but did see copycat recipes online. Give it t a try Send, it may taste like the real thing.
(1)

Thanks Sharyn. I am familiar with the real Durkees and have an easy sauce recipe for parties, adding miniature coctail weiners. 1 Bottle of Durkees, and one can of cranberry sauce in crockpot.
It must be famous if people are trying to copy it?
(1)

It's personal- movie quote: You've Got Mail
Joe Fox: It wasn't... personal.
Kathleen Kelly: What is that supposed to mean? I am so sick of that. All that means is that it wasn't personal to you. But it was personal to me. It's *personal* to a lot of people. And what's so wrong with being personal, anyway?
Joe Fox: Uh, nothing.
Kathleen Kelly: Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal.
(1)

One of my favorite movies: YOU'VE GOT MAIL
Kathleen Kelly: [writing to "NY152"] People are always telling you that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened. My store is closing this week. I own a store, did I ever tell you that? It's a lovely store, and in a week it will be something really depressing, like a Baby Gap. Soon, it'll just be a memory. In fact, someone, some foolish person, will probably think it's a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it, or something. I know because that's the sort of thing I'm always saying. But the truth is... I'm heartbroken. I feel as if a part of me has died, and my mother has died all over again, and no one can ever make it right.
(3)

Dear Sendhelp,

Thank you for sharing these quotes. You've Got Mail is one of my favorite movies as well. Thank you for picking the quote that expresses so well how I feel tonight. That's how I feel right now, no one can ever make it right since my daddy died. No one.
(3)

cdnreader,
Don't know what to say, now that the thing you didn't want to happen has happened. But there are others, who I see that you are supporting, even though your loss was recent. Reaching out, so you won't be alone during this difficult time, is one good thing you can do for yourself and others.

You are not alone, there are others. Stick around.
(1)

Dear Sendhelp,

Its so true. The thing I was most afraid of was the death of one of my parents. It happened to me and I wished I could have put it off just a bit longer. The facts are the facts and I can't avoid the pain and sorrow.

Thank you for your reply. I will try my friend. I hope I can do some good during this difficult time. I am eternally grateful to all my friends here on this forum and their replies to me during my grief journey. Their answers hold me up, when I want to fall down.
(3)

Cute Country song for this Friday night:
Chorus...
"God is great, beer is good, and people are c r a z y ."
(1)

We were singing an old Lionel Hampton tune, rag mop, tonight
(1)

I've just been watching Hedley on youtube, I love that band!
(1)

Grateful for a dear friend who visited mom this morning and helped her join in the exercise class

I'm going to make myself a real Sunday brunch of bacon and eggs, finish the laundry, pay the bills and try to take mom out to see a movie and dinner tonight and be home before midnight -
(3)

Hedley kinda looks like one of my favorites: Phil Wickham.
Who, standing next to my dH, all three would look somewhat like brothers,
with aspergers. Lol.
(1)

I love Harry Connick's looks,Ellen's personality and Steve Harvey's humor.
(1)

This struck me as so very funny today, when Trying1of4 said:

"Do you even hear yourselves type?"

Lol, lol.
(1)

Amazon prime same day delivery even on Sunday

Mom got a new seat cushion (she soiled her other one) and new pink balls (for her walker)

Years of cutting tennis balls with a box cutter only to discover they can be bought pre-cut !
(1)

Madge, was it delivered by drone? I have seen on the news that Amazon is starting to use that technology.
(1)

My favorite thing would be when you can make returns
to the factory by drone........honey...I can't understand you....say that again? You are where? What?.....

I can hardly wait.....
(1)

Chocolate
(1)

Glad
I don't think it was a drone since it was on the back porch stoop - kind of the delivery man
(1)

Ben & Jerrys has a limited edition chocolate cherry Garcia out - I'm gonna need a bigger bowl
(3)

Feeling a bit challenged to keep my head and my tongue..
I found this:
Rudyard Kipling
If
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a".....
---caregiver, my dear one.
(0)

I like the new ending!

Always thought it was a bit of a tall order for us poor ordinary mortals, that list - but not a bad desiderata, bless him.
(1)

My husband with regard to his parents/my in-laws Desiderata
When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.
(2)

Funny has always been my favorite!
(0)

My favorite thing of the day: a clean kitchen and clean floors.

I managed to find about 20-30 minutes today while DD was working and GS was at school, so I went through the kitchen like a whirling dervish. Started the dishwasher, cleaned the sinks, cleaned the stovetop (one of my pet peeves is that DD constantly leaves it dirty and greasy and it's a glass top stove, so then it bakes on and doesn't come off, so I did a major cleaning), vacuumed and mopped the floor and cleaned off the countertop. Also picked up the throw rugs and tossed those into the washer and had them dry and back on the floor before DD & GS got back. Vacuumed and mopped living room and hallway and my bedroom as well. The rest of the day, I've been wandering out into the kitchen and admiring how clean it is. Silly, but it makes me feel good. Hoping to maybe get the walls washed in the kitchen this weekend and clean under the stove and microwave stand.

My bedroom floor is unsealed hardwood, so it's not pretty and glossy like the rest of the floors in the main part of the house, but it's at least clean now, even if it doesn't look great.
(0)

I'm re reading this after an hour and applaud your clean kitchen, but I still can't get over the idea of actually washing the walls... aren't you supposed to be having a long holiday weekend?
(1)

I don't have too many holiday weekends off, due to the nature of my work. My weekends are quieter, but the work never really stops entirely. The kitchen is small too - it's long, like a galley kitchen, but there's very little wall space that needs to be washed, actually, because there are wall-mounted cabinets, etc. I make it as easy as possible - I take my swiffer-style mop, spray the walls with cleaner, and wipe them down with the mop, then dry if needed.
(1)

Does the Swiffer leak when you are washing the walls?
(1)

Kellse - it's not a regular swiffer, it's an OCedar mop with a cartridge for liquid. I don't use the cartridge (because yes, it would leak, being held upside down) and it uses the washable pads with the little scrubbie strips embedded in the pad. Very handy. The walls are painted with an oil-based paint, so they're washable - I spray a section of wall with cleaner, then use the mop to scrub it down, and then take the pad off the mop and wrap a towel around the end of it to dry the wall (if needed). Works pretty good, and a whole lot easier than doing it all on a ladder by hand.
(2)

Excerpts from Desiderata, Max Ehrman

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful.
Strive to be happy.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter