Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
A day that has ended....
(2)

Sleeping in late on the weekend
(2)

Watching a six month old baby roll around like a giant panda bear. She is too cute. Loves grabbing her feet and putting anything and everything into her mouth. And all her owl like looks.
(2)

For reasons I won't go into, the radio is playing the sound of a New Forest pony tucking into some hay. The dog is absolutely fascinated - sitting up in his basket with both ears pricked. What the heck?!
(1)

Anyone up at this hour that cannot sleep could get up and not just lie there suffering. Get a drink of water, wash your face, change into some more comfortable clothing, straighten up your bed again, adjust the temperature to cooler at night, take a small dose of tylenol to decrease those pesky pains keeping one awake, brush your hair again...
That is what I will do at 2:00 a.m. on a Saturday night, (The morning being a Sunday in just a few more hours.)
(1)

Today is Sunday, the day that there was an almost total eclipse of the sun!
Viewed mostly in the Southern Hemisphere, the moon blocked the sun's light coming to earth, creating "the ring of fire" appearance.

I challenge anyone here to FIND that event on the news! I viewed it only once, then all sources were crashed, blacked out, or showing 'other' news.

But I enjoyed the event from the internet. It could not be seen from California, I understand. Am I all alone here, I think?
(1)

Thanks SendHelp, I will look for it on the Internet. You are absolutely right its an amazing site. I will enjoy some Crème Brule while I look for it.
(2)

Haven't heard about an eclipse. Enjoying the sunshine while a couple of neighbor teens mowed our front lawn. They did a great job, edging around the walkways, sweeping and using a leaf blower. Tiger rolled around on the backyard patio sunning himself and Midget rolled around in a blanket looking quite snug and comfy. I am enjoying getting some basmati rice/veggies cooking to go along with a couple of broiled Salmon fillets. A wonderful pre-spring day!!!
(2)

Now were talkin! I'd Love to join cdnreader and Send and have Crème Brulee and watch the eclipse too.
I Love crème brulee and bread pudding,but that is a very rare treat here.The only kind I can find is Dr.Oetker,a product from Canada to make at home and I never see it offered anywhere on the menu.
(0)

Imagine if you will, the joy of trying to share the event with dH, and the first words out of his mouth were, "Are you sure it's today?".
That is why I wanted to share with my friends on here.
Don't think I have ever had a creme brulee, but watched that being made on a cooking show.
(0)

Sharyn, That day sounds just wonderful!
Hope your day is good too, CDNReader and Luckylu!
(1)

All of this crème brûlée talk is making me envious, and hungry. I think I'll go into the freezer to see what I can find, we're supposed to clear all that sinfully good stuff out of the house by Wednesday anyway, right?
(4)

That's right cwillie....we gotta get eat up ALL our good stuff.
(2)

Thank you Sendhelp. I appreciate this positive thread. Makes me smile. A bit of a tough day. Visited my dad at the cemetery. Then visited my granny at the nursing home. Reason I needed the crème brule to comfort myself. I think I will watch a bit of the Oscars tonight! I look forward to reading more of everyone's favorite things. I for one appreciate all of you - kind people will always be one of my favorite things. Hugs to everyone.
(3)

I have not had creme brûlée either, always wanted to though. I picked up an anti oxide today drink called Bai with brasilia blueberries. I love to partially freeze these drinks so the are icy and slushy, yum!
(0)

I have a new favorite thing. Watching Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty announce the wrong winner on the Oscars. LOL, LOL, LOL
(3)

Gershun, you are too funny. I cannot believe that actually happened. I could see Warren Beatty was puzzled, but to just show the card to Faye Dunaway and let her make the announcement! I guess it was live TV and he wasn't sure what to do I that moment. It was surreal. I just couldn't believe that happened. In all these years no one gets the wrong card! But they somehow did. I guess it made the 2017 Oscars memorable.
(2)

Doesn't Beatty have dementia...? For some reason I thought Annette Bening (wife) was caring for him and he had onset with Alz/dementia. Hm.
(0)

Much as I love her, I have to say I blame Ms Dunaway for this omnishambles. If she hadn't been so quick to "figure it out" for Warren Beatty when he was puzzled by the card, the two of them could have asked everyone to wait a second while they checked with the organisers.

I'm with you though CW - nothing brings a grin to my face quicker than a huge, public fiasco (with no bodily injuries).
(1)

Oh, ok. I watched the video of the ordeal at Oscars, but still wasn't clear on what happened. Then I read an account of what the problem was and... Beatty seems sharp as a tack in light him having opened the wrong envelope. He realized it was a problem as soon as he read it. He shouldn't have been reading someone's name. That would be for a Best Actxxx category.

I don't know if he has any memory issues or declining health. I thought I read something a few years back, but celebrity tabloids love to create a rumor, anyway, so who knows.

I get it now -- why the mix up. Funny!
(0)

SharynMMarie...Your blueberry slush sounds great! I Love slushes!
(3)

Luckylu, it was great and healthy!! Now I want ice cream tonight some chocolate therapy : ). 
(1)

I have never understood why people traditionally eat pancakes on the day before Lent begins. I mean, there is nothing terribly indulgent about pancakes, even if you eat a huge stack drenched in butter and syrup it really doesn't rate that high on the scale of sinful excess, and the simple ingredients wouldn't likely clear the pantry of foods that someone would have to put aside for their Lenten fast.
And of course I made pancakes tonight. Banana ones with chocolate ganache. Oh, yeah, now that was indulgent!
(2)

cwillie,Our church served pancakes,sausage and bacon but your pancakes sound ALOT tastier...Banana and chocolate....Yum!!!
(1)

Yes, I have to agree those pancakes sound delicious! And nothing like real maple syrup to pour over them. I might have to make some this weekend.
(0)

Spent Fat Tuesday evening at the hotel California watching hello dolly and eating cream puffs - mom had a chocolate all over her face
(4)

If You are a caregiver!
If
by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream- -and not make dreams your master;
If you can think- -and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on! '

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings- -nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And- -which is more- -you'll be a Man, my son!
Rudyard Kipling

You are a caregiver, my friend!
A man or a woman
(3)

The pancake thing goes back to the concept of fasting during Lent. In days before refrigeration, all perishable foods would be used up in a day of gluttony (ie Fat Tuesday) so that they would not be wasted because there was no way to store them without spoiling. So milk, eggs, meat, butter - things like that would all be used up in whatever dish was possible on that day to avoid the waste of food and to avoid breaking the Lenten fast. So things like cakes, pancakes, donuts (Paczki) would be made in large batches to use up those items.
(3)

I didn't get my annual prune paczki. T_T
(1)

Thank you Sendhelp for that beautiful poem by Kipling.

Being tearful about my dad tonight. I wanted to contribute something positive. Some of my favorite things is a good book! Good chocolate! And good friends. I think I will go and visit my favorite French bakery this weekend.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter