Follow
Read More
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Guide us to that perfect light.

A beautiful rendition....
(3)

My memory of leggings is great, because I am wearing them to bed tonight!

Except, these don't have stirrup straps on the foot.
(4)

I bought a pair of leggings that I also wear to bed. They are the favored brand bu all the young women...I only bought because dd hosted a party. I do remember the leggings of my youth with stirrups and little black ankle boots with black fays fur.

I am enjoying watching the 4 new movies on Netflics of Gilmore Girls.
(2)

Favorite thing: this time of year is the one time I treat myself to Panettone Italian christmas bread
(2)

micalost - YUM!
(2)

OOOH ,I just got a late birthday gift. A set Pepys - I think its the edition with all the dirty bits left in lol
(0)

kellse: Do you mean Samuel Pepys? I didn't know there were any dirty bits. Must have read it in high school or something ... ;=)
(1)

They're the bits when he switches suddenly to French, Jingle. Quite a time of it he had, young Samuel. The BBC did a radio dramatisation of the diaries which brought them to life entertainingly but without completely ruining the language, you can probably download them if you feel like it.
(2)

One of my favorite Christmas memories of my children was when our son was 4-1/2 Years old and our daughter was born one month before Christmas. Hubs and I went Christmas shopping when our daughter was 2 weeks old. We left our son with the my hubs parents. We were gone about 2 hours and everything we bought we left in the trunk of my car until I could wrap it.

The next day I woke up at 6:30 am, it was still dark and rainy. I walk into the kitchen, there is our son....he is dressed in one of the new outfits we bought the day before........I ran to the kitchen window, my trunk is open. I run outside and sure enough, ....everything we bought was gone. The car keys were hanging in the lick on the trunk....to high for our son to close. I went back in the house walked to our sons room. Under his hex were all the things we bought. The toys were removed from the boxes, clothes were stuffed under the bed.
(2)

Sharyn, Wow, son saved a whole lot of wrapping paper that year!

What did you do, or say after that?
(2)

Send, we of course reprimanded him and took everything away from him. We also thought it was funny because we both remembered things we did as kids to sneak a peak at gifts. We wrapped the gifts but did not put them out under the tree to see if he would notice these particular gifts were not there. He opened gifts from grandparents but did not notice anything. We brought out the gifts we bought, realizing he was too young to understand. However, we did learn just how precocious our son was....we were one step ahead from that point on, LOL!!!
(2)

Sharyn, Thanks for your lovely story about your son.
(0)

Both Sides Now. Joni Mitchell
Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way
But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all
Moons and Junes and ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way
But now it's just another show
You leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away
I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love at all
Tears and fears and feeling proud,
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all
I've looked at life from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

And now, old friends are really acting strange, I say.
(2)

How about "Send in The Clowns" That song is about me I say.
(0)

There's got to be clowns, Gershun!

Wait, SEND? Are you sure that song is not about me? Send me!
(1)

Send In the Clowns
Barbra Streisand
Lyrics
Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here, at last, on the ground
You in mid-air
Send in the clowns
Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around
One who can't move
Where are the clowns?
Send in the clowns
Just when I'd stopped opening doors
Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours
Making my entrance again with my usual flair
Sure of my lines
No one is there
Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear
I thought that you'd want what I want
Sorry, my dear
But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns
Quick, send in the clowns
(4)

Clown here!!!!
(1)

If you were stranded on a remote island and could only listen to one song - what would it be?
(1)

Wow, that's a tough one. Something by John Denver or Andy Williams.
(1)

Annie's Song by John Denver is so spiritually uplifting, until you remember he and Annie divorced :(
(4)

Shout to the Lord would be the song.
(0)

There would be no music if I were stranded on an island, so I would be shouting....

Shout to the lord, all the earth let us sing.
Power and majesty, praise to the king.
Mountains bow down, and the seas will roar,
At the sound of your name.
I sing for joy at the work of your hands,
Forever I'll love you,
Forever I'll stand.
Nothing compares to the promise I have
In you.
(6)

So sad because he wrote such beautiful music for her and he had to have a beautiful soul to create and sing it as he did. Many years ago I went to a Marriage Encounter weekend. They played all of Denver's music which was so romantic, kind, full of love to match the beautiful experience. Every time I hear his music my heart melts. *Too bad the weekend and music didn't impact my "ex" the way it did me - lol!
(4)

I've probably written this before, but since it's such a significant event it's worth another post.

It's the first snowfall of the season, in this case the first snowstorm. There's a subtle and somewhat miraculous change that accompanies a storm, even if it's a storm w/o winds and the major factor is significant snow.

The landscape changes slowly, and beautifully. It's such a dramatic transformation, taking place quietly but with such a great impact.

The snow begins to fall, softy, gently, and suddenly the stark branches of bare trees are covered with a lovely white crystalline blanket.

Roads disappear; cars become hidden under inches of snow. Travel on the streets decreases and silence becomes almost total. It's as if life moves inside to the comfort of hot chocolate (or other warm beverage of choice) and slows down as Mother Nature takes control of what were our outdoor activities.

It's a wonderful time for respite, to just slow down, appreciate the change of seasons, find a good book, watch a good movie, perhaps make some popcorn or better yet a rib-sticker soup, and even some homemade bread. It's as if outdoor life stands still until the storm has finished its quiet makeover of the landscape.

I'm still luxuriating in the beauty of our first winter storm, with about 10-11" of the fluffy white crystals. When I get the energy and stamina to brave single digit temperatures and wind chils, I'll venture out to check tracks in the snow and discover which four-legged friends have braved the cold weather and high piles of snow to search for food, or just to explore and see what Mother Nature has brought.
(3)

Snow! Good to hear of the beautiful, peaceful, pleasant aspect. And I like that life has a way of slowing us down through the beauty of nature.
(3)

I could say some grouchy things about all that snow, but I'll just bite my tongue and let everyone enjoy GA's lovely "ode to the first snowfall" :-P
(3)

That is indeed a lovely piece about snow by Garden Artist. Here's what's happening about 5 hours to the north.

We too have a lovely 6 inch snow cover but last night the temp dropped into the teens, the wind is gusting to 30 mph, the lake effect snow machine has been going for a week, and a few minutes outside will pert near kill a person. Even our wild turkeys that have been hanging out under the bird feeders are hunkered down over the hill, out of the wind and those girls are tough cookies.

Sorry to snow on your parade GA. Just couldn't resist some snarkiness after your thoughtful prose.
(3)

Windy, not to worry - I don't see any snarkiness. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the much heavier snow you get more regularly, as well as the bitterly cold winds!

Looks like the West and NW coasts of Michigan, and perhaps our SE area, are going to get a real strong dose of winter much earlier than usual. Typically this kind of weather is more or less standard for the week after Christmas and the first week of January, but it's arriving early this year. Perhaps that means an early departure and early gardening season as well?

Time to start ordering lots of gardening catalogues.
(1)

I love the snow when it is fresh and fluffy. What I don't like is when it hangs around and gets dirty and slushy. Not to mention those horrendous big mountains the city makes when they push it all into a pile. Sometimes those monsters hang around till spring. I'm sure one day Stephen Spielberg will do a movie about them. Name it "It LIves" or something stupid like that.
(1)

Gershun,
I guess that means Frosty the Snowman has got to go! No one wants a dirty and slushy old snowman hanging around too long after Christmas.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter