Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
(0)

Those first subtle signs that winter is ending and spring is beginning. Cardinals are singing in the morning and the other winter birds are more active and vocal; the increasing power of the sun causes trickling and drip, drip drip sounds from snow-melt, even on cold days; those first tentative wisps of warmer winds from the south with the promise of more to come, soon. Locals are tapping in the sugar bush and you can almost feel the sap rising. Can you tell that spring is my favorite season??
(4)

YES! Spring has turned you into a poet, or have you always been? I like your description of winter into spring.
(0)

The truth of those glorious Southern California signs that winter threatens to hang on while allergies caused by dust and pollen herald the arrival of a barely noticeable change in seasons here, Spring. Crows are hawking so loud in the higher up bare tree-tops one can hardly hear the woodpecker making holes weakening the branches which can break easily in the Santa Ana winds. Strong winds that dry your nasal passages, crack your throat. The late-night locals hooping it up blocks away at the bar after midnight can be heard if one dares to try some fresh air from an open window, sneeze, sneeze. Can you tell this is a negative exaggeration? For your entertainment. lol
Guess I should get out more and go to the beach.
(3)

Willie and Send, I'm enjoying your poetic descriptions.
(1)

Willie, is maple syrup collection common in your area?
(0)

Really GA, when I read Cwillie's post, it sounded so much like you! Not that Cwillie is not capable of beautiful writing also.
(1)

Oh yes, maple syrup is very much a part of spring in this area, though not as big as in Quebec. There are a few farmers who still tap and collect in the old way to make a little extra money each year, but they are getting fewer as not many are willing to put in the time and labour any more. Bigger producers have gone with collection tubing and reverse osmosis systems.
(3)

Ah, collecting maple syrup....tramping into the woods with the hint of spring in the air, tapping into the tree, going home for hot chocolate or hot tea, checking the tree later to collect the sap and boiling down the syrup in a little shed....my father grew up with memories like that.

I wasn't aware that Quebec was a maple syrup producer; I believe Vermont is, but I always thought of Quebec as being very cosmopolitan, not that that doesn't preclude back to the land living for folks in more rural areas.

In a few decades, children will have to learn about making maple syrup by going to nature museums.

It never ceases to fascinate me how people before our current generation learned how to use so much of what nature has to offer. I confess if I want syrup I go to the grocery store. But if I had maples instead of the prolific unwanted junk trees, I might be tempted to tap a tree just for the experience of it. It's innately satisfying to find sources of food and shelter directly, without going to Home Depot, Lowe's, or other store, but just going out into one's back yard.

Decades ago when Rodale's New Shelter magazine and Mother Earth News were the mantras of people concerned with pollution, earth sheltered homes, energy conservation, etc., MEN provided plans to build a cider press. I still have those magazines, and someday I still want to build a cider press to make my own cider from apple trees which I still have yet to plant.
(4)

Ah, Rodale's Organic Gardening magazine from back when it was little and pocket sized and full of wonderful advice was where I learned a lot about gardening and sustainable food production. We also had a magazine in Canada called Harrowsmith, kind of like Mother Earth News. Then they both got glossy and full of ads and tried too hard to appeal to urban back-to-the-land types, now it's all just big business.
(2)

Organic Gardening also closed its forum and became Organic Living, also with what I think is an appeal to the urban folks you describe, as opposed to the die-hard gardeners who are truly serious about gardening.

I think I've seen Harrowsmith, years ago, probably at Borders.

Organic Living is kind of glitzy now. But issues as to what's truly organic are still being debated; there's another term now for a version of "organic" but I can't remember what it is. Maybe I need some organic spinach to boost my brain power. Or chocolate.
(1)

What is your favorite movie, being awarded on OSCARS tonight? This can be a distraction for others.
(1)

I loved Organic Gardening back in the day. Too bad it changed for Urban folk. Is there any magazine today that is comparable to it?
(0)

Sharyn, I don't know of any, although I vaguely remember seeing a new organic gardening magazine at the grocery store a few weeks ago. It seemed kind of glitzy, so I thought it was probably more "getting on the organic trend" than a practical source. Organic Living isn't too bad, but it's just not the intense emphasis on gardening as the old magazine used to be.
(2)

Thanks GA, I will try researching it too. Gardening has become more about design now.
(0)

I still enjoy Mother earth news but this may be my last year because I no longer have the ability to complete any of their projects.
(0)

Veronica, If those projects bring you joy, hire someone to do the work for you, you are the designer. Are you able to get outside to get your vitamin D?
(0)

Ever hear of chicken manure for the garden? It is against the rules but my neighbor had a lovely garden. The Plumaria was beautiful. Hasn't looked so great since they moved.
(0)

Send, many gardeners raise their own chickens, collect the manure and use it to fertilize their gardens. Of course, you can't live in a city and do that because of animal regulations, especially when you get a rooster in and he provides wake-up calls every morning for the neighbors, regardless of whether it's a workday or not.

Seaweed is also a great fertilizer. We used to get a trailer load and put it on our gardens. My roses loved it.
(1)

You CAN live in this city and have chickens, roosters and even horses! Many cities will allow "hobby chickens".
(2)

Yeah, guess we could have a hobby horse here too, but only if we could keep it quiet.
(0)

Chicken manure is very high in nitrogen.
There is also some thought that it may contribute to throat cancer.
(1)

Random acts of kindness!

Something weird has been happening ever since I had my little mental meltdown, random strangers and neighbours keep showing up to help me clear the snow out of my driveway. Today it was a neighbour I've never met before, and even though I was already 95% finished it was a welcome surprise. I told the universe I needed more support... answered prayers??
(4)

Glad, that's great to know that your city allows chickens, and I apologize for the misinformation. I was basing my statement on knowledge of cities in this area, so I should have qualified my comments.

That must be an unusual city though to allow horses, unless you're in the west someplace (not asking, just commenting).

Veronica, I wasn't aware that chicken manure might contribute to throat cancer. I understand that chicken manure is ammonia scented, and that's obviously not healthy.

Did some quick checking and found that arsenic in chicken feed could be a contributing factor. My friends who raise chickens are all organic gardeners, so I'm sure they wouldn't be using any feed with arsenic. Some of the chickens also dine in the gardens, so there's certainly no issue of arsenic there.

Thanks for raising this issue; I'm going to check further.

Willie, perhaps the neighbors spread the word that you could use assistance? It's amazing how much neighbors chatter about other neighbors! I'm glad to read that you're getting snow removal assistance though.
(1)

GA, check around your area you may find "hobby farms" or some such as permitted or conditional uses.
(0)

My favorite thing is when at the end of the day, after everyone is fed, sitting in my recliner with my dog stretched out on my lap, with a nice warm throw. We all know then that it will soon be time for bed, and hope for a good night's sleep.
(1)

cwillie, maybe that's what I need to do, then. I can't seem to get help clearing snow, even if I offer to pay the same neighbors who did it for my parents. Apparently they think I'm too young to need help - even paid help.

We've gotten close to 20" of snow in the past 10 days, with 2 storms just a few days apart. I guess when I fall over out there in the snow, someone might consider that I could use some help.

Sorry, just having a little pity party for myself today, I guess. Tired of life in general today.
(1)

Susan, sometimes well run senior centers have lists of helpers. That's how I found a great lawn service for my father's yard, but the senior center was one in his area. The one in my city doesn't help at all, responding with an emphatic and somewhat haughty "we don't make recommendations".

I've noticed when I'm tired and almost panting, I'm more likely to get help from people in the neighborhood. I haven't tried sitting or falling down in the snow yet.
(1)

Thanks, GA - we have a senior services office here, but they tell me the services - even the paid ones - are for seniors only. So even if I pay them, the won't help? Sheesh...guess my money's no good there, huh? First time I've ever had someone turn down cash.

Maybe I need to do that - fall down in the snow and see if someone decides I need help. Then when they show up, I'll just pop up like a jack in the box and scare the heck out of them. (evil laugh) Limping around on my twisted knee doesn't seem to work.
(1)

I said it was weird Susan! Even though I live in what most of you would consider a small town I don't really know my neighbours, and I would have thought if I fell down while shovelling they would probably not find me until it thaws.
A few weeks ago when I was tackling a multi day major dumping with bronchitis I was feeling desperate enough to run up and down the street waving a fifty dollar bill.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter