Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I am suddenly getting so excited about baking and decorating and can almost smell the aroma of apples, cloves and nutmeg in the air!!

GA, the ice chips melted as the wax was poured and when you took the candle out of the mold, the water ran out. I wish I could remember the exact specifics of it now...but I'll look on youtube...And for sure you could put some pretty leaves, acorns, etc. in there. I've even seen pieces of dried apples, oranges, cloves, etc. in the candle...The "ice candles" seemed to burn faster because they had more air pockets in them...Just thinking out loud..I wonder if you could use a tall taper for the center of the candle and then put the ice around that so that it is solid all the way down against the wick...might make the candle burn longer? not sure...I need to check that out...

I've never even heard of a northern spie so I need to check that out...I am amazed how many different apples there are...but that pile of Galas I believe it was...I literally wanted to curl up in a ball in those and take a nap...I'm guessing that might have gotten me in trouble... :))

I love the macho version of the easy bake oven cwillie...yeah, that was me...no easy bake for me..I want the creepy crawler please...it's so funny to remember how young we were and yet they were actually for kids our age back then...I can't begin to imagine they'd make those now with the litigious society we live in now...but it sure was fun. My brother and I always tried to see who could make the creepiest nastiest looking bugs and hide them to scare each other...and the incredible edibles you could eat...so I remember making spiders and stuff and putting them in my mouth when Granny came to visit...haha fun times!!!

GA and cwillie...I had started to the yard myself again earlier but now I am setting that to the side for tomorrow and getting with the festivities :)
(0)

cwillie..I bet that river trail was lovely. I can almost see it in my mind..and hear the sound of that rushing water...and maybe a few acorns and nuts dropping here and there as you go as the squirrels are scampering around to gather their winter feasts...
(1)

Cwillie, i just starting to pick up my crochet after 10 years. Its so popular right now free easy patterns available all over internet. I think you should get some yarn and let the magic of creativity give you pleasure. Make a cozy afghan or if you want real joy make small lap blankets for nursing or al homes. Being creative is wonderful for the spirit. Just a thought. Take care
(1)

Played in the leaves today with my 18 mo grandaughter. So much fun to watch her face as she discovers things...everything is new in her eyes such a delight : )
(3)

I started crochet a couple of years ago. I have managed to make a couple of small table runners. I learned how to add ribbon as a decorative addition.
(1)

One of the easiest aspects of crochet is the granny square technique. You can whip up a square quickly, the size is small and there are so many variations. It's my preferred method. I used it to make some granny square Christmas stockings.

Maybe we should start a Crafts Therapy Thread like the Gardening therapy thread?

Any other crocheters, knitters, sewers, quilters here?
(3)

Oh, I wish I could crochet...I want to learn...and did try once but I was a lot younger then and impatient ..maybe now... there is a pattern I'm not sure what it is but someone told me it is a popcorn quilt??? I'm wondering if that is what you are talking about GA. It is a bunch of little squares, seems like actually they are more octagon in shape though. Mama has a pillow that was done with that pattern by my aunt...I love it...I would love to learn how to make that one....

I love crocheting. I know you can buy things more cheaply at the stores...but nothing beats a good homemade crochet hat imo...love those little beanie type things....some have little crocheted flowers on them...I just think they're so fashionable and flirty...
(0)

Hope, I just looked up some Granny patterns, American and European notations, and just accidentally lost the whole post. Yuck!

Just quickly, popcorn stitch is one of the many crochet stitches. Sometimes if a pattern includes or emphasizes that stitch, the piece can be called a popcorn hat, popcorn Granny, popcorn afghan, etc.

When I taught a crochet class several years ago one of my students was really enthusiastic, and picked a complicated pattern. I worked it before she started so I could stay ahead of her in case there were errors in the pattern, which often happens.

It required using a drop stitch, which I found really exciting and a way of creating a lot of change and drama to the pattern. Just did a quick search but didn't see any as interesting as the pattern my student friend chose.

Alreme, I'm betting that adding ribbon to your projects really made them stand out. Could you tell us a little bit more about them? I'm thinking they'd make some beautiful crocheted snowflakes.
(0)

When it comes to winter hats I'm more into polar fleece with thinsulate. As I have gotten older I find that warmth trumps fashion, but I suppose I could crochet a little flower or two to sew on!
Many years ago I made a large doily/tablecloth for mom, but after the move I washed it without taking proper care and managed to tear it in several places. Maybe I'll get around to trying to repair it some day.
(0)

Here I am, thank you for asking about me Cwillie and others. Broken ankle after bashing my toes 5 days before. Then, doctor discovered x-ray two years ago shows a broken bone on other side of ankle but they had told me it was NOT broken back then. Okay to walk on it, a laced up splint was applied and took it off when I got home-took me 3 days to find it! But its okay, these are all signs of stress, it's all in my head.
Thinking of running away from home to live a simplified life in an RV. Affordable would be nice. Too bad I'm such a klutz-and this with just tylenol. Checking back in much later, really miss everyone!
(0)

So sorry to learn about the broken ankle and bashed toes. How did this happen? You weren't doing some energetic dancing, were you? Or were you out haunting on Halloween?

Take care of yourself. We'll still be here when you return, hopefully well on your way to healing.
(1)

Favorite thing? Finding the christening gown that I thought had been lost. One benefit of having everything removed from the house and having to go through everything I had. Really wanted to find it for grandchildren, but it was not to be. My new avatar, that beautiful gown!
(2)

Rushing, overworking, assisting my husband with house and yard preparation for Winter! Then twisted ankle on an uneven surface in driveway. Bring it on, winter, the news is always an exaggeration here anyway! Don't know why I was worried.
LET IT RAIN, LET IT RAIN!
(1)

Glad, that looks like a very lovely gown; I hope you're saving it? I've read that some people incorporate special gowns/dresses etc. into quilts.

Some years ago there was a beautiful "latte' quilt" that got a lot of publicity. It was stunningly beautiful, in soft creamy colors; it's much too beautiful to ever be used. There's even a book of "Latte' quilts".

My favorite thing this morning is the freshness of the November air, chilly enough for a nice warm jacket and hat, but not too chilly for a walk. It is chilly enough that a nice batch of homemade bread would really make the house fragrant. The question is if I'm up to all that punching down as well as the anxiety of wanting the bread now instead of in a few hours.

It's also a nice day to wrap up in a quilt and read. That would be the easier option as opposed to punching down bread. But then, a book doesn't release the fragrant aroma of rising and baking bread.
(2)

Yes, GA took it to the cleaners yesterday for restoration. Just waiting for the next grandchile. I had never heard of a latte quilt, googled it, WOW just beautiful! Hang it on a wall? It is cold here this morning too. Winter coming quick and La Nina is really supposed to be something this year.
(2)

Glad, after your last grandchild, have it frames in a shadow box with some memorabilia...One of my sisters did this to a small coat that was my dads... it turned out awesome.....
(3)

Waking up to find Mama talking and wanting something to drink....It's cold and rainy out so I think it might be a good day for some more apples baking in the oven...And I found my Honeycrisp ones that I love so much....Going to make the absolute most of this day....
(5)

Looking forward to any good news that this rainy Monday will bring at the end of the day. Hoping some good happens to each of you today!
(1)

Rainy days and Monday's always get me......excited especially when I don't have to go to work!!

Send, I am happy we are getting rain and snow. We sure need it.
(2)

SharynMarie, yes, I agree that the rain is good!
(1)

Sharyn, keep it there, please at least until I find my snow shovel! UGH!
(2)

Ladee, shadow box, excellent idea! I have been falling behind, I guess. Quite distracted lately. Moving the last of my things today. First night in my house tomorrow.
(1)

Glad- lol!! A shadow box for the Christening gown is an excellent idea. I have my dads Irish cap that I am going to put in one.

I was going to plant irises today but the rain won out. I love listening to the rain.
(4)

What's the topic?
(1)

Hope72, it is simply things that you like, or favorite things... what makes you happy.
(1)

Maybe that dibble is suited for a memory box, along side the christening gown?
(1)

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling low, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad.
(0)

Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, brown paper packages tied up with string,
These are a few of my favorite things!

Puffy cheeks on kittys, and then again on rabbits,
Christening gowns hanging up to be,
The hope of a future, caregivers will see.

These are a few of my favorite things!
(2)

The sound of wind rustling the branches on a chilly November day.

The warmth of quilts, comforters, hot chocolate and throws on an equally chilly November day.

The sound of leaves slightly crackling as they're blown by strong winds across pavement on that same chilly, but very windy, November day.

The dancing of the highest tree branches as they're blown about by the wind on a November day with strong winds. The branches actually seem to perform their own variety of nature's ballet.
(2)

The warmth of a fire crackling in the fireplace along with the smell of cookies baking in the oven.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter