Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I recently found out that a cousin is having chemo for terminal prostate cancer and I reached out to him in a brief email with an offer to make a run for groceries or to the drug store if needed, now he has emailed back with a request to get together. Uhm, this really puts me on the spot because he is a lot older than I am and is basically a stranger to me - even growing up he was an adult when I was a child - and I really have with difficulty with this kind of social interaction. I really, truly meant it when I offered delivery services but I cringe at the though of anything more than that, and of course I feel like a total heel for wanting to find a way out of this.
Any advice?
(3)

I am in favor of locking all threads that are over 2 months old.

I know I can’t be the only one who has noticed but there seem to be a few people who get bored (I assume) and start reading old posts and responding to them! I’ve seen a few people reply multiple to posts that had been stagnant for months....I assume they were bored or something! I dislike it because it pushes new posts further down the newsfeed or on to the next page & makes it harder for them to be seen.
(1)

cwille,

That’s true too. Some posts aren’t current and they continue to have replies.
(0)

I'm more annoyed at the people who keep threads alive despite the fact the OP hasn't come back, or when they have posted an update that changes the original question or tells of a resolution. Sure, it can be hard to read an entire thread that has gone viral but there are often multiple posts trying to make people aware of relevant info that are also ignored.
IMO AgingCare needs to be a little bit quicker at closing inactive threads or those the OP has abandoned while still enabling the OP to post an update (long conversational threads excepted) - I have seen this on other forums so it isn't impossible.
(2)

Great point, onlychild.

Duly noted. Yes. we read Abby and Ann Landers. Also Heloise. Remember her? She had great tips for everyone.
(1)

Not a regular poster, but an avid reader. I have been thinking this for a long time, but never expressed it until I just saw Shell and Gershun post it on another thread, so here goes...
Why do we get so upset when original posters don't return? Some people even label them trolls! I find most of what I read here to be helpful, even if/when it's a bit harsh; regardless of whether the original poster comes back to re-engage.
Maybe it's because I am of the Dear Abby generation. I loved reading her column and we never got to hear back from the OP in that instance.
I guess I just think pointing it out doesn't invalidate what's been provided, nor does it mean the user is a troll!
(3)

All I had was 3 cups of coffee much earlier today, vs. only one.

The best dentist I ever saw, twenty years ago, recommended a piece of 7-grain bread to help me get to sleep, and stay asleep longer.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz💞zzzzzzzzz.
I think that I should keep one ear open, to see if I snore.
(2)

Oh MsMadge,
Sorry the Viking is sad. Maybe those special bears you buy for people will cheer her up. I am so glad she has you. She wouldn't be fed otherwise.

I sure hope things get better at that place. 💞💞💞💞💞
(2)

I'm in bed but can't sleep

tucked the Viking in tonight and asked her what she wanted for Xmas - she said she didn't care about anything -
I guess not 😥
(4)

Yeah but....I did not go to bed yet!

Going to bed now.
(1)

Goodnight, Send. I’m going to bed too.
(2)

Goodnight everyone!
(2)

Just read "Can't we talk about something more pleasant?" -- an illustrated book by Roz Chast about caring for her elderly parents. Has anyone else seen it? Funny, heartbreaking, and very honest. I recommend it to anyone on this forum; it'll make you feel less alone.
(4)

During the holidays to alleviate stress, going to bed earlier might help.
(2)

Some people have nothing to do and then there are other's who will never be thru~
(3)

Great news CWillie. I just read about you getting news that no more treatment needed. I bet that's a good feeling.

Is it just me or has this been a real witch of a year? Some blessings, of course, but, lots of heartache too. My dad took a downward turn and just returned home from rehab, I lost one of my best friends in the spring at age 59 and today, I just got a call from another good friend who's in surgical ICU. He's spinal cord surgery bound in a couple of days. He's almost 81 years old and I'm feeling pretty nervous. It makes me wonder what is going on?
(2)

I am no longer requesting anyone delete comments that are inappropriate for the AgingCare forum here.

I am just putting them in the TRASH where they belong!

LOL.
(2)

z
zz
zzz
zzzz
zzzzz
zzzzzz
zzzzzzz
zzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
(1)

CWillie, glad to hear that things are looking up! Congrats and hoping that you are feeling better every day!
(3)

Send, You’re exactly right about that thread. I don’t want to see that level of profanity. Totally inappropriate.
(2)

About 14" of snow three days ago, and still very cold. Winds are howling and quite blustery today. Roads all covered in snow again from ground blizzards. Very slick, almost worse now than earlier this week, because you don't know when you will hit a patch of ice, dependent on the wind speed and direction. Got out, had coffee and egg pie, then got shopping done, now I can just hunker down until Monday.

And blessed for a neighbor that cleared off my driveway, with his mini tractor, while I was away and upon return could get into the garage.
(5)

cw - Such good news!!! Happy for you. It must be a huge relief.
(1)

I got the official call yesterday - "no further treatment needed". It's not often you hear about someone celebrating a misdiagnosis (it was still cancer, just not the kind originally identified) and I can't help but wonder what life lessons I was meant to learn from all of that.
I am certainly overwhelmed by all the support and well wishes I've received both here and in real life.
I was forced to accept that I can't do it all alone and agree to allow people to help.
I for sure have a new empathy for people facing cancer and even surgery of any kind - it's not so routine as we pretend it is.
(14)

Logging out until the thread "The USA holiday season, viewed from a distance seems horrible" is DELETED in it's entirety.
(1)

Oh Send,

What a treat! Fun to at least see the snow nearby on the news.

I adore California. You truly live in one of the most beautiful states in our country. California is lovely. I always enjoyed visiting there.

One of my most precious memories with my dad was building a small snowman in our yard as a kid. We had so much fun!
(1)

NHWM,
The snow is on the news.
Cannot take pictures because the snow is hours away, not here in my yard.
Cannot drive there because the roads are closed.

Many years ago, I did take a photo of a tiny snowman I built in my yard, and that was fun because it was so rare. But, like you, there was very little snow, lasting only an hour or two.

We always want or like what we do not have. However, I am still content to have the beaches nearby, within an hour's drive. A day trip can take us from Malibu to Huntington Beach and back, or even to Santa Barbara and back, just beautiful beaches, waves, skies, and a ferris wheel.
(2)

Wow! Get some pictures, Sendhelp. Snow is so rare here that my daughter took video on our phones to keep. So pretty to see.

Hahaha. We can barely call it snow here. We get a few flurries. Everything closes down because people here don’t know how to drive in snow!
(1)

There is SNOW in Southern California!
It's raining outside just now. The SNOW is over the I-5 grapevine pass @ over 4000 ft., said to be snowing down to 3000 ft.

Guessing it is winter now.
(3)

I should not have looked online about RCT complications

I’ll be ruminating on it until I see the dentist on Monday
(4)

Glad, I got some more info on the WVU Altzheimer’s studies. They have developed technique to get thru a blood barrier into the plaque that causes Altzheimer’s. They’re developing techniques to break up the plaque. It uses ultrasonic probes in a special helmet. So far they are working with patients with early onset
(6)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter