Follow
Read More
I just heard that my BIL was out and about again today. WTF😖
(2)

So sorry, Bridger. This is hard. Very hard. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
(0)

I placed both of my parents in assisted living today. They did really well and were totally cooperative. I was a basket case. Cried like a baby. I wanted them at home, but it wasn’t possible. They both need too much help.
(5)

Please take a moment and send all students good thoughts as the finish out their school year online. This is my daughter’s final year at LSU! It’s a big switch in their normal routine.
(1)

I tried to post this twice, once as a discussion and once as a question, and both times I was kicked off the site🤔 I read a very good article I'd like to share

'If she never remembered me again': Loving someone with dementia
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/remembered-loving-dementia-200115113735588.html
(1)

I keep waffling on posting this but I really need to get it off my chest - I have zero confidence in the ability of nursing and retirement homes to keep the people who live there safe, at least not in my province. Previous pressure points in the system are starting to show. Too many people still aren't taking this seriously enough, for that most vulnerable population partial compliance (even if it is 90%, and I don't think it is nearly that high) just isn't good enough.
(4)

I have a mourning dove cooing and pecking at my window - sorry buddy, I know it's raining but you can't come in!
(2)

Llama,

Your brother is right. Life is cyclical. We tend to put it behind us in order to function and move forward but are reminded of the past when the pattern is repeated.
(0)

NeedHelpWithMom: Me, too! This is the stuff of nightmares and then when you start your day, you cannot believe that we're seeing this virus.

My brother was mentioning the 1918 pandemic. How bad it was.

Funny story is my husband does not like the dishwasher. That is funny that your's has a certain way to load it.
(1)

Llama,

I did not see this coming! Ahhh, I have some really bizarre dreams. This is the stuff of nightmares! This tops any sci-fi book I have read or sci-fi movie I have watched. Dreams only last a few moments. This crap has been going on too long, right?

Guess we have to make the best of it. It’s been interesting having my husband around all the time! Good thing I really love him! LOL

Well, I am blessed that I married a great guy. We’re a team. The only thing that we have never agreed on is the way the dishwasher is loaded. Geeeeeez! He is anal about it! Hahaha, hey that’s a small thing, right?
(3)

Who saw this Novel Coronavirus coming? Praying for everyone here on AC. Gershun: You're right about it affecting mood/anxiety.
(1)

Can we turn off this bad COVID19 "Movie"? No, because this is not a movie. Humor can still be used, even in these difficult times. Not in person, but by internet and phone. We the people are all in this boat together. I suppose we all, or at least most of us, will eventually ride out of it.
(0)

My Mom passed in November 2014 at age 95. Last November would have made her 100! I pray for her in Heaven!
(3)

And pray for those too poor to have internet access, or slow have only access at best. Congress should share more of their wasted funds to help us connect better!!
(2)

I’ve been responsible for my mom and dad for a few years. Their health has deteriorated. Especially over the last 6 months. I’m on the brink of having to place them in the nursing home. I’ve found a nice place in our town and they can both go there. It’s a hard decision to make. Neither of them are totally opposed, but they will miss their home. They’ve lived there since their marriage 67 years ago. My brother agrees it’s time. They have money to pay for their care for several years. I’m wondering if they will decline faster in the nursing home. My brother and I both live within 3 miles so we can visit frequently and there are other family and close friends close by. We get along well and share POA, etc. They are both mid. 90’s.
(5)

When I saw the virus spreading from China, then South Korea, Iran and Europe, how easily people were being infected, I immediately thought of the Spanish Flu. A pandemic.

And as I saw how countries started shutting down everything, I immediately thought of the Great Depression... Funny, I, too, seem more concerned about my livelihood and not so much about my health issues. Is this because I’m considered the ‘breadwinner’ in this household? And is more concerned on how I’m going to pay the house insurance, the land tax, the utilities, if the plumbing breaks down, my no-more health insurance status, etc....

Riverdale, you’re not alone. I so very sincerely hope we will not be going through a Great Depression II. BUT!!! We still have the Internet! We can reach out across the pond (several ponds) and share our thoughts, fears, encouragements, knowledge and laughter.... I truly did wake up this morning being grateful that we still have power and internet.
(5)

This new present reality is so different. A storm can be awful but the process works to a better day. The terrorist attacks could bring people together. Now we are to distance and isolate. If one finds solace in religion that now has to be online. I imagine this to perhaps be similar to wartime although I realize we can't compare to horrors of that. It also has been so long that the world lived through that. The concerns we started to feel a couple of weeks ago are almost moot today. There is very little chance of getting in to see a doctor unless it is an emergency. We are all suffering and although there will be an end it is almost impossible to know when that will be. I find I somehow feel less concern with becoming sick than the worry I feel for the economy that is and will continue to affect the livelihood of the world. It feels as though we are in a state of nothingness although I realize that is not at all the case with those dealing with the afflicted. I imagine many there must feel as though this situation is endless. It is all just a revolving door of unbearable sadness that leaves so many of us feeling rendered helpless.
(2)

Yeah, Gershun

It does make us feel like we are in a twilight zone existence. Unnerving and sometimes depressing too.
(4)

I live in British Columbia NHWM. It's spreading here. Not as rapidly as some but it is still climbing. Everything is shut down. Stores in downtown Vancouver are boarding up because of looting. Grocery stores overrun, schools closed. The same as the rest of the world.

I suffer from depression/anxiety and it's gotten worse since this started. But I don't want to focus on myself cause it's not about me. Just trying to look ahead to when things get back to normal whatever normal is.
(2)

Gershun,

A psychiatrist was on a PBS show that I was watching earlier. He says that we are grieving and we have to acknowledge and accept that it is grief. Loss of life, loss of work for some, loss of school for others, loss of socialization, loss of freedom to shop everywhere, etc.

Then he said that he lost a son a few years ago and even as a psychiatrist he had no idea how painful grief was until he grieved personally. I loved his transparency. He was so honest about his feelings.

He said it was a grief similar to 911 or a natural disaster but we felt that there would be a closure one day to that situation but with this situation people are grieving differently because we don’t know exactly when this virus will stop spreading. Interesting thoughts on the topic, isn’t it? There is loss of life in all of these tragedies.

And what about sudden death? I think that is super hard. My friend who kissed her husband goodbye one morning. He had a heart attack while driving home and died. He was not even sick. No heart trouble. He wasn’t overweight. He wasn’t old. He was in his 40’s. That type of shock is awful! His widow was in shock for a long time afterwards.

I agree. with him saying we saw and felt the ‘calm after the storm’ and we saw the ‘explosions and fire’ go away after 911 or another fire. Still, some deal with PTSD afterwards in all of these situations.

Regardless, it was interesting commentary on feelings. I do agree that we must grieve because he said if we suppress our feelings we will do more harm in the long run.

The psychiatrist said that we all grieve differently and some grieve for a lifetime. I have seen people who never stop grieving for their spouse. Hard to see because I want healing for them.

The Today Show had a ‘life coach’ on. He said that we must live in the present and not the past or future. He was promoting meditation exercises to do just that.

How is your area? It’s spreading rapidly here.
(1)

Well what's on my mind is what's on everyone's mind these days. Corona, corona, corona.

It seems it's all I think about these days. I had a thought the other day. I wonder how children in their impressionable years will be affected by this. I wonder if this will imprint itself on their brains and they will have this niggling thought in their psyche from hereon where they think they need to social distance themselves from people. Imagine how confusing it will be for them when one day mom is telling them to keep their distance from others and then when this is finally over they are told it's suddenly alright to be near others again. Confusing I imagine.

I think it will be weird for everyone won't it. I have this odd feeling when I see other people now where I see them as some kind of a health threat to me. It's weird and sad all at the same time isn't it?
(3)

I have also heard that if you open your eyes real wide it will help suppress the gag reflex. Between squeezing the thumb and opening the eyes wide something must work.😓

Though the cv test is through the nose, may not work. Same is done for flu had one last year. Won't do that again if I can help it.
(1)

I just came across a tidbit. If you have to take a swab at the back of your throat, there is a way to prevent gagging. Squeeze your left thumb in your left hand really tight. This will remove your gag reflex... Never tried it so I'm not sure if it works... I sometimes gag in the morning when I brush my teeth. The toothbrush just have to enter my mouth - not yet touch anything - and I start gagging. I think I will give this a try the next time.
(1)

Maybe toilet paper will return If all toilet paper is removed from the Senate & House, etc. and all their homes and Replaced with corn cobs for them to use?
(2)

Our weather has taken a miserable turn, wet snow and rain, but I pushed myself out the door for my daily walk anyway. Most of the businesses on main street are closed or open by appointment only, there wasn't even anybody in the drive through at Tim's, yet traffic was so persistent that I had to detour to a side street just to escape the noise. Where is everybody going, and why? WTF?
(1)

You think some academic social historian is sniggering in his sleeve about that theory, CW?
(1)

Sorry but I find that really hard to believe - I'm a farm girl, I know what a dried corn cob is 😯, I'm not going to be experimenting to test this out.
I know that this is a popular belief but has anyone referenced an an actual living person who used this method, or are we just making assumptions - are we sure this isn't a cob with the husks still attached (very common) and it is the leaves not the actual cob that is used (which would IMO actually make a lot of sense and be be pretty clever)?

(I just have to add - when I was young my grandparents did not have indoor plumbing although thankfully they did have TP, I know my way around an outhouse!)
(3)

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/before-toilet-paper-24419

Anyone who’s been camping will tell you that a handful of dry leaves sure comes in handy when there isn’t any toilet paper around (and as anyone knows, unfortunate, accidental brushes with poison ivy can happen!). But you may be surprised to learn that before the mass production of toilet paper, the choices for “cleaning up” were far more varied than you might imagine.

In rural agrarian communities, handfuls of straw were frequently used, but one of the most popular items to use for clean-up was dried corncobs. They were plentiful and quite efficient at cleaning. They could be drawn in one direction or turned on an axis. They were also softer on tender areas than you might think. Even after toilet paper became available, some people in Western states still preferred corncobs when using the outhouse.
(1)

Why do people keep referencing corn cobs as TP? I can guarantee you nobody ever used a corn cob (ouch! 😲), although the husks might be serviceable in a pinch.
(1)

gladimhere, Just read in The Farmers' Almanac that toilet paper was invented in ... China! evidence in 6th Century ~ for wealthy, and it was cloth.  And that toilet paper wasn't commonly available in the US until the mid 19th century.  Americans used newspapers, Sears Roebuck Catalogs, and The Farmers' Almanac, a step up from corn cobs, etc.  Now we hardly have any of those .. except maybe the corn cobs.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter