Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I have been googling Christmas alternatives to tease my family.

https://www.oddee.com/item_99548.aspx

Obviously taking on another culture not my own is not a good thing.... but I could go Newtonmas with an apple on top of the Christmas Tree quite easily & I already usually give science books to my son.

Pastafarian or the Seinfield Festivus is also looking good.
(1)

It’s interesting how lots of people start thinking of Christmas even before Thanksgiving.

Soon we will start hearing Christmas music everywhere. It’s so different this year. Maybe I will feel the spirit later on but I haven’t caught the Christmas fever yet.

I love seeing the beautiful decorations. I still love the idea of Santa! I never miss watching Charlie Brown or The Grinch!
(3)

Hailey, I already finished my Christmas shopping, made sugar cookies and my house is decorated. So do not feel odd. Sweet pototatoes, eww, yuck, sorry.
(2)

Alva,

It breaks my heart that approximately 37,000 vets are homeless today.

After all they have done for us, and now homeless. No one should be homeless.
(2)

Good on the Marshmellows, Hailey. I have to be adding them while it's too hot, and too early.
NeedsHelp yes, Happy Vets day to all of our vets. Last year my bro was new in his ALF and I was taking down his last home basically; took his Army picture over so he could hang it on the door. He showed it everywhere so they could know what a handsome dude he once was; all the ladies gave him all attention they could give to anyone. He was so proud. A cherished memory now he is gone.
(2)

Oh yes. Sweet potatoes are a big thing here. They are one of the most healthiest things you can eat. Baked in the oven and served with cinnamon and butter.

Then of course there is the tasty, famous sweet potato pies.
(4)

Hats off to all veterans today! Happy Veterans Day! My father served in WW11. My dad’s brother died while serving in WW11. My mom’s brother served in WW11, Korea and Vietnam. He died at 96 years of age.

I will never forget seeing the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. I stood there in awe seeing so many names on that wall. Then I cried. I lost friends in that war.

My nephew has been in the Middle East five times while in the Army! Thank God he survived and wasn’t severely injured. I sent care packages to his troop and prayed for their safety on a daily basis.

Oh, just too many vets that we all know to mention, right? We love them all! We thank them! We appreciate that they are willing to lay down their lives for our freedom and safety.

If anyone ever has the chance, please visit our WW11 museum in New Orleans. It is a top notch museum that is incredibly moving.

Sending love to all vets today! Thanks so very much for your service.
(6)

AlvaDeer

LOL Good question. I'm sorry. The marshmallows and pecans would go in the casserole, lastly, for about 10 minutes.

You want the marshmallows to melt but not go away as you mentioned. : )
(2)

Haileybug, you didn't interfere with a thing, as said above, the poster means this to be a "What's on your mind" post. Opens conversations, gives thoughts, musings, and etc. It's for whatever is on your mind; you're in the right place. Now the big question: how does anyone keep marshmellows from just melting into stuff and going away? Mine always disappear.
(2)

I cannot get into the holiday spirit this year. I want to but everything is so different.

Maybe later on, it will change.

Hailey, I make sweet potatoes but I do it in the oven. I have never tried them in the slow cooker.

Alva, I love cranberries! Persimmons are delicious too.
(1)

Ooops

Hope I didn't interfere with anything here.

Saw the "On my mind" and that is what I was thinking at the time.

Again, Sorry. Did not mean to interfere with any convo.
(1)

Countrymouse, perhaps more contributors than you know to Wiki. I am one as is my partner. Every once in a while you are looking something up and you get that little plea; we always contribute.
Hailey, you are early for Christmas. I am with you in the fall weather triggering holiday thoughts. Will be different this year, but I already made a batch of cranberry relish for Thanksgiving that's going to be gone by Thanksgiving, and another batch needed. Am loving the new freeze space that lets me make abundance in these things. So many things now are seasonal wonders for me. Cranberry. Persimmons.
(3)

It's a rainy kind of day here. Feel like doing some Christmas Decorating and listening to Christmas Music.

Would love to smell some sweet potatoe casserole with marshmellows and pecans cooking in the slow cooker. ahhh :)
(6)

I'm reluctant to even shop online so the thought of handing over my credit card info to make a donation to wiki is what stops me. (I'm a paranoid dinosaur, I know)
(1)

CM,
Your best donation would be to contribute by editing Wikipedia. You would be good at it, priceless really. imo.
(0)

I have just donated to Wikipedia.

😠

Why do I feel cross? I give a very modest amount every so often, and I wouldn't at all mind their asking, if it were only that. I consider it a genuine bargain.

It's knowing (and I only know because that's what they tell me) that only 2% of users donate that, ironically, makes me feel stupid for doing so and therefore reluctant to do it. I too am a herd animal.

Oh well. It is still a bargain.
(2)

Stay safe, Glad!
(1)

COVID positivity rate here 19.6% over the last week. One of them next door found out today. No, my hermit self, does not socialize other than coffee on Saturday. The state is waiting to see if county imposes more restrictions. That would mean the powers that be would have to acknowledge it is a problem here. Not a chance.
(3)

CM,

He was a fascinating man. Not a likable one! He was brutal!

Thanks for sharing that story with us. I love human interest stories.

I enjoy knowing what makes a person tick. It’s so interesting to know what goes on behind the scenes.

It’s fascinating how some incidents crush one person and another person will triumph.
(0)

Dee,

My daughter just moved to Denver. She is claiming the same thing. Kooky weather!
(0)

2 AM and it is pouring rain...nope, it is sleeting...now it is snowing...raining again...ice is forming on the trees and grass...CRACK--What was that!?!, It's raining again...now it snowing... CRACK, CRACK, CRACK. Was that thunder or a tree branch breaking? Oh, no! The lights have gone out--NO electricity!!!

9:00 AM The trees, bushes, cars, streets, sidewalks, etc. are covered with snow and ice. The temperature was 70 degrees yesterday and is 27 this morning. The sound of chain saws fills the air. The electricity finally came back on. Since most of the trees still have their leaves, there are many branches hanging down to the ground. Will need to wait until the weather warms up later this week. Luckily no tree limbs on my house, just all over the lawn. The neighbors' cars are surrounded by tree limbs, but none of the cars were damaged. This weather is SO crazy this year!!!
(2)

My favourite Henry VIII anecdote happened at the end of his life - it was at the time treason to "prophesy the death of the king" (a piece of legislation rushed in for complicated reasons and really not thought through, just as happens nowadays) so you can imagine that the doctors, courtiers and councillors were all a bit jumpy about getting him to make plans: "Just tell him..." "YOU tell him - !"

Not for the first time he was way ahead of them, and gave instructions to form the Council for his 9 year old son, Edward VI. Somebody said "Er, your Grace, you've forgotten Stephen Gardiner?" And the king growled that he hadn't forgotten Gardiner* at all, he'd left him out on purpose because nobody else could keep the man under control.

*Bishop of Winchester and a really nasty piece of work. Later did his best to get Princess Elizabeth's head cut off but was outsmarted.

Don't forget that Anne of Cleves (wife #4) finished up with a substantial pension, complete independence from her horrible brothers, an honorary title as the King's Sister, and a very comfy house. It was a time when you seriously had to play your cards right, but she seems to have managed it to perfection.
(3)

I love Downton Abbey series. The movie was good too.

Not everyone who played in the series was in the movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

For those who watched the series? Who is your favorite character?

I love Violet!
(1)

Some liked Downton Abbey to study the pretentious social graces of the times.......

Sendhelp
Sep 7, 2020
The T.V. shows derived from the literary classics are amazing, teaching history and the social graces of the times.
Downton Abbey and Pride and Prejudice are but a few.

What amazed me was the sibling rivalry, gossip, and class differences, so very similar to today. Be careful though, one could learn too much about putting on airs accidentally mimicking bad behavior.

In Downton Abbey, one sister wrote to a foreign embassy to cause a scandal about her sister; the other sister ended that sister's engagement prospects with a word to her fiancee. Such hate!

In Pride and Prejudice, the main character was just as guilty of prejudice than those she wrote about, hated for their gossip and prejudice.
(1)

I have been watching the series on the wives of King Henry. It’s awesome.

He was a horrible king!
(0)

I've never watched Downtown Abbey. I've had it recommended to me but never felt an inclination to start watching it. I've seen little clips of it now and then but it didn't appeal to me plus watching the actors on it accept their awards on the oscars.........I don't know.......they all seemed pretentious and irritating.
(1)

I could never get into Downtown Abbey.
(1)

Downton Abbey has become available for free streaming so I've been watching every now and then, I'm into Season 2 and I'm not sure I can stomach any more of it. I can remember everyone obsessing over it - OMG why??
(3)

His photo was on a birthday card, sent by an insurance company to me.

RIP Mr. Alex Trabek
(5)

Yes, I was saddened to hear about Alex Trebek. A true classy gentleman and a fellow Canadian. I'll miss him. Watching Jeopardy is such a nice, normal thing to do. Now what? Who could replace him? :(
(8)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter