Follow
Read More
Sendhelp: Thank you. Also for the cute llamas. Nope, no need to put drops in the non surgery eye, but good question!
(1)

Send, no more 4am walks then? ☺

People are starting to go toilet paper crazy here again. Ye gads!
(4)

Llama'
Keep up the eye drops! Good on you! 🦙️🦙️🦙️
👁 Do you put the drops in only the one right eye, or both? 👀
(4)

Many California Counties will have a CURFEW from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. starting Saturday and continuing to Dec. 21st, to try and stop the spread of Covid-19.
(3)

I am so very thankful for this day.

My husband says it best. "Every day is a GOOD day."

I can not complain. I'm blessed.

: )
(2)

freqflyer: Yes, I had cataract surgery on one eye (my right). It is a process of putting three different types of drops in my eye that my DH does for me since I don't do well with putting anything in my eyes. And that is going to be for a while, but so far so good with the artificial lens.
I wonder "if you used to be able to read without glasses," then why did get you, I presume, cataract surgeries?
(1)

GA,

Typo, should read My husband, two daughters and I went to midnight Mass at St. Louis Cathedral.
(0)

GA,

My mother was christened at St. Louis Cathedral. My grandparents lived in the French Quarter for awhile. Mom was born in 1925 in their home with a midwife.

It is a beautiful cathedral. The midnight Mass at the cathedral for Christmas is simply beautiful.

The choir is magnificent. Baby Jesus is placed in the nativity setting at midnight.

As you know, my youngest daughter moved to Denver. She was still living here at Christmas. Christmas Eve we went out for dinner, then went to see the incredible decorations at the Roosevelt Hotel and then my husband and daughters went to midnight Mass. Ahhh, pre Covid days.

I bet your embroidery of the cathedral is beautiful!
(0)

NeedHelpWithMom, have I got a tale to tell you!   My sister moved to NOLA for a few years; I visited her twice and of course took a lot of photos, including of the St. Louis Cathedral.   I thought it was such a magnificent site, the architecture, the location, the closeness to the river, and more.

So I used the photos and a NOLA placemat I bought for an embroidery design.  B/c I wanted a real picture and not an outline,  I used crewel embroidery, with crewel thread. 

It took quite a while, but I was pleased with the results except that the spire for some reason wouldn't stand straight.  I redid the embroidery, but still couldn't get it straight .  So I considered that to be the one flaw that some needleworkers consider de tour for certain projects.
(3)

Llamalover, hope your cataract surgery went smoothly.

I had my eyes done this year and I still can't get use to my "new eyesight". I use to be able to read without glasses my whole life, had glasses only for driving. After surgery it is the opposite. I know it is probably too soon after your surgery to give your relation to how the vision feels now.
(3)

There it sits!
The cushion with the right fabric to cover it.
For over 9 months.
Instead of waiting longer, thinking I will sew it by hand.

I have enough free time, I will just do it!

Procrastination hurts.
(1)

Caregiver stress and burnout happens. However, there have been some really strange answers coming from really good and helpful long-time posters.
I have seen other really good and helpful long time posters try to turn the conversations to a lighter subject.

It has me thinking...and looking up things like:
"Can venting too much be harmful rather than helpful?"
(Online Psych Central articles.)

Please do not stop venting or asking for needed help! Can we lighten up a bit?

Maybe check ourselves before we go off topic and attack our fellow caregivers?
Declare a truce (or Pax) sooner before dividing opinions become offensive?

Practice some social restraint, while maintaining your perceived rights?

Thanksgiving will have us being grateful to be alive, focus on being grateful instead of what you might be missing. imo.

I am so thankful to be able to know each and every one of you!
(1)

Llama,

I sewed for my girls too. I’ve also made pillows, curtains, etc.

I have not done embroidery. I love it though. It’s so pretty.
(1)

NHWM: My eye surgery is Tuesday, 11/17. All my projects of embroidery, needlepoint and crewel work were done 54 years ago when I was 20. I also sewed all of my clothing, my daughter's clothing and my home goods.
(3)

Santa is behind plexiglass in stores! Oh my!

This is 2020, folks! I am so looking forward to 2021!

Okay, if that isn’t depressing enough, it pales to compare with the recent news that more than 82,000 Boy Scouts have filled molestation lawsuits! That is more than boys molested in the Catholic Church.

I grew up Catholic but I feel any priests or any scout leader should go to jail for these heinous crimes.

The predators are very sick and twisted individuals and I personally don’t think that they can be rehabilitated.

I am all for rehabilitating people when it is possible. Statistics show that it isn’t possible for them to be rehabilitated.

These numbers are sickening but honestly, one child is too many!
(0)

cwille,

Okay, thanks anyway.

I love a bargain. Who doesn’t like to save money, right?
(0)

My sewing days are far behind me NHWM but we always bought by the yard/meter. I still have a box full of pieces left over from old projects but if they won't do I look for something in the remnants bin first - I'm cheap that way.
(1)

Llama,

Embroidery is so pretty. My sweet MIL loved cross-stitching. My favorite thing she made was a Christmas stocking for my oldest daughter. It’s so beautiful!

She also made a bib for her but I always thought it was too pretty to use! I have it folded up in a drawer.

What projects have you done? My neighbor has gorgeous pillows that she made with crewel embroidery! She has four of them and they are lovely.

Did you have your eye surgery? How are you doing?
(2)

cwille,

I have a question for you about fabric, if you don’t mind.

I buy fabric by the yard. Habit, I guess. I did buy remnants in the sales bin because they were great prices!

What do you think of fat quarters and these other ‘already’ cut fabrics? Do they end up costing more than by the yard?

Plus I am the type of person who always bought a little extra because fabric is never cut perfectly straight and I never wanted to run short of fabric for my project.
(0)

I like playing scrabble online and I have to say that our increased exposure to Muslim culture has really benefited my game - burka, haj and haji, niqab are all great high point words
(4)

My maternal grandmother tatted, but she passed away in her early 70s so I never learned that. I taught myself crewel embroidery, needlepoint and cross stitch.
(3)

My grandmother could tat but her eyes were not up to it by the time I came along so I never learned, it's so much more delicate than crocheted lace.
(3)

cwille,

Remember tatting? My great aunts did that. It’s really beautiful!
(3)

cwille,

My daddy had two quilts that his mom made. I was hoping to own them.

Daddy grew up in a rural area of Florida. The women from church got together to quilt.

They were destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. I wanted to own to quilts one day.

I never knew my father’s mom. She died before daddy married mom. Daddy said I looked like her. I have her blue eyes. She was Scottish and Irish.

Daddy was born in 1917. His mom made those quilts when he was a young boy. So maybe they would be considered antiques. Do you have antique quilts?

I have a gorgeous crochet tablecloth on my table from my husband’s grandmother.

I have dollies too. Yes, fancy pillow cases too. I also have old pattern books, needles, etc.

I have my grandma’s (mom’s mom) sewing machine that she gave me years ago. Guess where she bought it? A door to door salesman!

I bought a new machine years later but I did use it at one time. It had the knee pedal that she converted to the floor pedal.

Funny how things have changed, right?
(1)

CWillie, Idea for those quilts. Send to me.
Only kidding. 78 and I am downsizing to save my poor daughter angst.
Just today shook out my old wool pendletons (they add cottons and other trash now and they PILL). So beautiful. I can't use them. I just don't have the room. I then aired and rolled and put up on my ONLY closet shelf. Keep thinking I want to give to someone who will use them. It is such a waste to have them sitting hidden.
Do any of you watch Marie Kondo on Netflix, the tiny woman who talks in the tiny high voice and helps people downsize. Americans are DROWNING in STUFF.
(0)

Polar,

The nurse just told my husband that ‘our germs’ in our house were okay. It’s the germs from outsiders that are not good for him right now during his cancer treatments so we are being careful.

I was telling his nurse that I always liked how Asians took off their shoes before entering their home.

She said that she does remove her shoes before entering her home, because when shoes are tested they are truly filthy. This is why they sterilize their shoes in hospitals.

The studying of germs is fascinating!
(1)

Polar Bear, germ theory sooooo facinating, as you are seeing. Think of our guts alone. We are FULL of organisms. So much so that we will explode in days from their proliferation once we are dead if a punch hole isn't done. In the old days in the morgues they used to have the one going along with the ice pick to relief the pressure. One of the old English Kings, left too long after death, exploded in his coffin. I believe it was William.
In any case, our guts alone harbor happy organisms living in perfect harmony. Until something goes wrong. An E Coli goes into a bladder and there is our UTI. Or we take antibiotics and it kills the BAD stuff but the GOOD stuff as well, and now we have fungus. And some people get overprolifferation of C-Difficile that literally KILLS them, while their original infection is cured.
Germ theory is AMAZING, and one of the reasons I cannot HATE Covid-19 is that I literally do see it as a fascinating living creature, adapting, wanting only to live and breed. They aren't so very different from us.
(1)

The series on HenryVIII’s wives is really good!
(0)

I'm reading a medical book, and a bit of medical history was mentioned. I thought I share some excerpts.

"Back in the late 1800's, there was a famous debate between two heavyweight scientists that clearly illustrates the divides between the conventional and integrative medical communities."

"The famous chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur waged a scientific debate with another famous physiologist, Claude Bernard, that still continues between the integrative medical and conventional medical doctors."

"Pasteur argued that infectious organisms from the outside world attack and infect humans as foreign invaders, while Bernard felt that we 'house' these bugs inside of us and that infection is a result of the immune system becoming weaker and allowing these bugs to 'come out of hiding' and turn evil.'"

"Of course Pasteur's germ theory is what's taught in medical school and what ultimately drives the business of medicine. The killing of these 'foreign invaders' has become a trillion-dollar industry. Thus the bad news for Bernard, as Pasteur's idea is much more profitable and headline grabbing."

"But ...on his deathbed, Pasteur made a profound statement: "Bernard is right. The microbe is nothing. The environment is everything."

"In the end, it really doesn't matter how many bugs you have or what bugs you've been exposed to. What really matters is how strong your immune system is, and how your body can provide an inhospitable place for infections to thrive or to replicate."

Take the above excerpts how you want, and use it, or not, as you see fit.
(1)

I had some friends over yesterday (shhh, don't tell) and we got to talking about quilts and heirlooms so I pulled out my collection. I'm pretty sure I had all of them out on the line before we moved from the farm but the moth ball odour was pretty noticeable, does anybody know a tried and true way to eliminate it?
And any ideas about what to do with all of this stuff (quilts, embroidered pillow cases, doilies and one hand woven wool blanket)?

PS - when does an old quilt qualify as an antique?
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter