Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Judda, Good to see you around again!
See you over on the what's for dinner thread? If you have the time.
We have on hand: zucchini, ylo squash, green onions, fresh parsely, some grated sharp cheddar, canned cut tomatoes, macaroni.
Any recipe will do, and if not-I'll just cut it all up together, add grated parmesan, and we are healthy, right? I could leave out the macaroni.
(1)

That a 94 year old man had it done successfully is good information. Keep us informed. You are right! We do have love and concern for you! :-)
(0)

Hi everyone. Thank you for your love and concern. I can feel it!
The valve replacements are MUCH more technologically advance, less invasive, faster, and have a better success rate than the older traditional open heart surgery methods, even for older seniors who don't have complicated other illnesses. A 94 year old man, for example had great results. But I don't know much more than this yet.
(1)

judda, I've read this and thought on it. A valve transplant is a very serious operation with a lot of post-surgical pain if they still do the surgery the old way (open the sternum). Is the surgery easier on them now? I had a friend go through open heart surgery for valve replacement and it was painful to watch him clutch his pillow. I don't know if my mother could tolerate this same surgery.

But if she wants the surgery, the decision is hers. I hope there is an easier way to do it than they had in the old days.
(0)

Judda, what a tough decision! I guess if your Mom had it, and got dementia, she wouldn't fear death anymore. Isnt that an awful way to look at it huh, but she will die without it so if she wants it and the anesthesia is limited, go for it. Good Luck, I feel for you, my heart aches thinking of it. You would think by that age we accepted death, but I guess not, very scary either way.
(1)

Juddha--as stressful as this is, please do not believe that what you do or do not do will make you responsible for any negative outcome. You are trying your best in a seemingly unique situation. The doctor said she won't last over a year without it and she wants to live. I have heard that the anesthesia can cause problems--some temporary and some that don't seem to go away. Ask the cardiologist what he would do if this were his mother? Ask him to weigh the benefits and risks and honestly tell you what he would do. Tell your mother you will try and gather more information but the decision is hers. No matter what, you support her--I think you already told her this. She has a reasonably healthy mind, and although this is mind-boggling, I think she needs to decide. My friend's mother had kidney failure and there was nothing else to be done. She was 91 and asked her daughter, "So, what do we do now?" She definitely wanted to live. Her daughter had always miraculously helped her through multiple kidney crises. Her daughter told her, "Mom, there is nothing else we can do." Soon after, the family gathered around and she had a relatively peaceful death. I feel for you--I will probably be in the same boat soon enough. I am sending as much positive energy your way as I possibly can!
(3)

Hi again. My mother is mentally sharp, and has been physically active with no other big physical problems like others have. Her heart is strong but one of the valves is weak. It would not be open heart surgery but aortic valve replacement: with either the metal one or the one made from a cow or pig. If it's the later she would have to take coumadin for the rest of her years.

She is like your Dad: scared to death of dying (what an ironic saying, isn't it?) and defiant. The ER cardiologist said she wouldn't last like this more than a year. My brother and cousins think this decision "is a no brainer". Let her have the operation. If it doesn't work, she'll die anyways. Mom is alternatively freaking out and trying to accept this big challenge. She's a fighter!

What can be done about the anesthesia? What questions should I ask the cardiologist?
(2)

Book,
Dealing with the cable company here makes me go from zero to psycho in about a half a second. My mom and I tried to go get a new remote for their tv
amd they wouldn't deal with us cause the account was in my fathers name.
(0)

Thanks, Cwillie. That's what my dad told me when I told him that the cable company refused the letter and said he needs to call it in. He used to love talking. He's slowed down a lot in the talking department, including the phone. He said that since they refuse to accept the letter, then don't pay it. I forgot to call the cable when I came home.
(0)

Glad, when my conscience can set me free. My culture, my religion have formed me in my informative stage. I cannot walk away. I observe how my sister and siblings and nieces are around dad. Do you know that they will just keep refilling the cups without washing it? I have to daily rinse it. Sometimes when I'm too tired and not observant, days later, I'm disgusted how dad's cups are moldy! I once caught my niece going to refill his very first glass of water for the day without washing it! I firmly told her that she needs to wash all the cups on his side table and replace the water with new ones. That is what I think oldest sis is doing on the weekdays. He spilled a full cup of water on himself. Instead of changing his soaking wet clothes, she puts the pamper liner between the wet sheet and him. This has happened several times. My conscience is my downfall. I sometimes regret finding religion in my late teens. It is what it is.

Judda, surgery for someone that old is a very high risk. What is the goal? After surgery, she will be very active in life? What if the anesthesia changes her by quickly advancing dementia? For me, if it was my dad, I would do my best to talk him out of it. To no avail... Because my father is so scared of dying, he would be adamant in doing it. And if I can't dissuade him from doing the surgery, then I will accept his decision to do the surgery.

So, how does your mom really feel about the surgery?
(1)

judda,I dont know your story but my Mom was living independently and had a 5 way bypass open heart surgery at age 81. She heart was forever good, I just lost her 2 months ago at age 94 to alzheimers. What get them is the anesthesia, they lose their memory!!! I would avoid it unless she had no quality of life right now. Good luck!
(1)

Judda, I would ask about hospice. You are right, how much are we going to put them through, what would they really want? Sometimes I think it is a way for the docs to dig into the pockets of Medicare and/or Medicaid when they know time is short anyway. I often have problems with the drugs and surgeries that docs recommend. Why? To extend a life that has become very difficult and their brains are dying anyway? We have all read plenty on the effect of anesthesia on the brains of many elderly!

Book, how much longer until you decide to walk away? Will you walk away?
(2)

Man, Book, I am so sorry! I hope your brother really does understand and that he steps in and helps you. Prayers!
(1)

Hi. Does anyone know of an elderly person 90-95 who successfully emerged from a heart valve replacement? Or did it just mean MORE problems and a prolonged miserable life while the medical profession gets more of her money and the tax payers? Can it really improve mom's few remaining years?

I can't help feeling that when she has this operation she won't survive it.
(2)

Book, stop paying the bill and they will cancel. So your dad gets a bad credit rating, who cares!
(3)

I went to an Alzheimer's Support group today. I recommended this forum. Maybe they will see this posting.
(1)

When 'baby' bro called on Mother's Day, I told him that I don't want to be POA. I explained how I stayed home to help dad with mom when I was in my 20s. Now I'm 50 and still caregiving. My voice was shaking when I told him that I really don't want to be POA. To me, it's the final key. As of right now, I can get fed up and know I can walk away. And my siblings will have to step in. With POA, everyone will say that I have POA, dad is my problem, my responsibility. And they have no problem not helping because I'm Legally responsible for him, not them.

I then told him of the stress I'm going through just thinking about being POA. And I told him straight out that the thought of being POA has made me think of suicide. I was trying not to cry when I told him that I really cannot be POA. It will push me over the edge. He kept quietly telling me that he understood.

The d*mn problem is I know we need POA because the cable company rate went up from $68 to $107! Talk about a big rate hike! Last year, I wrote a letter for my requesting disconnection along with his expired ID. They refused. I had explained earlier that he's bedridden and refuses to go on the wheelchair. So they mentioned the letter. They rejected the letter. Next I was told that he can call it in. I will try that today. Unfortunately, my dad is not coherent and forgets immediately. Later.
(0)

gladimhere, yes I used to kiss moms neck like 5 times and snort to make her laugh! haha!! I also have a dog who is lost without sleeping next to my Mom. Except for our walk, she sleeps all day, I feel bad for her because my sons dog died suddenly at age 4 last year and she has no dog to play with. She doesn't normally like other dogs, took a long time to get her used to his, so its just her and I now, very strange.
(2)

Hi Everyone. I enjoyed Mother's Day with Mom. Last week she was in the ER. Although she is weak, out of breath a lot and waiting to pursue getting an aortic valve, on Mother's Day we didn't discuss it on purpose. I made a simple dinner that she really loved, and we went shopping at Saver's. It was a really relaxing day. Next day, Dr. Jeckyll is back as Dr. Hyde! Mother in a tizzy of fear and anxiety over the looming operation. Her birthday is next month: will be 95.
(1)

Book, thank you so much for thinking of me and writing it, that means a lot. I had a good cry today snd then we went to the movies to see The Boss, our son and wife took us to get in some laughs. Still so strange to be able to say yes and walk out the door. Happy Moms Day to all XO
(1)

Book, great to hear from you and hope you are taking good care of yourself! Bro for mom's day? That too is good news. We all need to celebrate the small things.

Reverse, snort in Mom's ear?! I can't do that but will snort in my dog's ear. I am alone today like most other days, so I celebrate I have my sweet dog with me and have had a call from one child. Will hear from others later, I hope.
(1)

Reverse, I thought of you today. I know that you're one of the very few whom 'your loved ones ' apply. So today, I thought of all of you who truly loved your mom and what it must be like to have them not here. HUGS!

Today was the first time in years that my bro of next door decided to celebrate mother's day with us.
(1)

Wanted to chime in and say Happy Mothers Day to you all. This will be my 1st Mothers day without a mother as she died 3/11/16. Even though I took care of her for 24/7 over 8 years, I still have huge guilt that I wasnt there when she died in the hospital, its kills me, it eats me up inside, I hate thinking of it. I could have gone in, I chose to wait till morning and didnt. She was alone. The dr said on 4mg of morphine she didnt know, I wonder. I am so proud of what I did, just hated the end. Kiss your Moms and snort near their ears for me to make them laugh if you can.I wish I could do that again. XO
(5)

Jenny, be careful. Caregiving is very stressful. It's usually the caregiver who suffers healthwise and puts it in the back burner. It's very important for you to find someone to help you with the caregiving. Your sister passed away. My dad had a mild stroke and decided he no longer wanted to be mom's caregiver ( of 24 years) by refusing physical therapy. I ended up taking care of both bedridden parents and my full time job. None of my 7 siblings offered to help me. I had to ask oldest sis to 'babysit' dad on weekdays while I'm at work with pay. Oldest sis hasn't had a job in years and lived off the government system. (Eventually, she moved in with us.) she doesn't do much but even having someone just 'babysit ' helps a lot. It would be nice if she took a turn in taking the trash out, cleaning the shower and toilet, the kitchen sink, emptying the always full disgusting sink strainer...which is not my mess....sometimes I read comments like yours and it reminds me to be grateful of oldest sis.

As for my health, I changed doctors because I got so tired of my doctor harping that I can find time to put aside 30 minutes a day to do some walking. I have a treadmill in my rarely used bedroom. I gave up on it when I would use it at evenings. Not even 20 minutes into it, I'm so tired my body is literally bumping into the hand rails. I'm already exhausted and the treadmill routine was taking what little energy i had. I told this to my doctor when he brought it up again. He had a neutral face. He obviously never really was a full time caregiver in the sense.

I have a new doctor. She was hands on helping with her grandmother. She actually understands me and my health situation. And she doesn't harp on my high cholesterol problem. She doesn't push me to take a prescription because I told her that she can RX it but I won't be taking it. It makes a difference when you find a doctor who can accept your views without shoving it down your throat that you must do this or do that for your own good. She knows of my depression and suicidal thoughts. She knows that i hate taking pills. Most importantly, she knows that when I think I'm at the edge of the cliff looking down, I have no problem at all going to her for help. She makes suggestions but it's up to me to do it.

Jenny, I hope you have some kind of plan when your mom continues to worsen. You can't do it all by yourself. My worst fear is having a heart attack and become bedridden. My siblings make terrible caregivers. I will make a terrible patient.
(4)

Gotta go now-it't almost 2 p.m.-I am so for napping!
What about you, Shilo?
After the drinking water, I mean.
(0)

What helps me feel better, before caregiving duties (these are responsibilities for your loved one that is way beyond the parameters of a realtionship) is to simply drink more water, take 3 deep breaths, and carry on. Even step outside several times a day when you are going no where. The temperature is rising, heat can keep me inside all summer-and it is only spring!

Recap: More water
Deep breathing
Step outside
(0)

I am sorry too Send, I could be the one that needs the 2pm nap.
(0)

Shilo, sorry to have confused anyone. My advice was to Jenny, who is having issues with Mom who may be having Sundowners.

Feeding them at 2p.m. may help, as well as medication-and a nap.

It was not me who had a relaxing afternoon, a nap, and a snack at 2 p.m.
Aha! Maybe I should....
(1)

Send, that sounded like a peaceful afternoon for both of you. T.V. these days can be too aggravating.
(0)

Feed Mom at 2 p.m. a nice, soothing snack, give her an hour nap, distract her with t.v., music, give her some space.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter