Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-otte/no-cannabis-is-not-a-cure_b_9292238.html
(1)

Spoke too soon. That thunder sounds like it's just about over the house. Lightning seems closer too.

Cwillie, maybe when it's time to sleep, I will change the fan's position to blow inside. Thanks.
(2)

We rarely hang our clothes under the sun. It will fade it. We have several clothes lines in our large front porch. But the big wide lying down mango tree in front of the house is blocking the wind. So, our clothes hang in the porch with very little air flow.

Well, the thunder storm seems to taper off a bit. I need to shower but refuse while there's lightning. Lightning travels through water. I hate to be electrocuted while showering! I'd better go now before it starts up again.  Later!
(1)

Book, I have better luck putting a fan in the window and blowing the cooler air in rather than trying to suck the air out, unfortunately when the outside air is so humid it sometimes doesn't feel much better. Does your window A/C have a fan only function?

As for the laundry, are you hanging it in the sun?
(1)

Due to money being tight, sis and I are learning to budget and watch our cash flow. We failed miserably last Sunday. Well, buying 2 fans for the house is acceptable. Since our livingroom air con broke down, I didn't want to spend $600.00 on a window unit. With the air con down, hopefully our power bill will go down from $500.00/month to maybe, hopefully $250.00 ????

I'm dying without an air conditioner. My bedroom has a window air con unit. Nope, money is tight... I will not use it.. unless it's laundry day and most of the laundry is my work clothes. Air drying in this hot humid island weather causes the freshly laundered clothes to stink like 'a wash that was left for hours in the washer.' To combat this, I'm now using Downey in the washer, and turn on the air con in my bedroom to dry my Work Clothes only. It's on for the whole day and the whole night - only.

Did I mention that I'm dying from the heat? ... Tonight, I couldn't take it anymore. My body heat was increasing, headache, sweaty and those 2 fans in the livingroom weren't working..in my opinion. I looked at my face in the mirror. It was flushed red. Yep, time to call for the big guns. Google.

I found some ways to cool off. Fan facing the window Outside to draw the hot air out. {I quickly went into my bedroom, opened the newly bought box fan, set it up on my dresser that just happens to be right at the window. and turned that sucker on!} Hopefully, tonight, my bedroom is cooler than the livingroom.... Next helpful hint from Google - put a bowl of ice in front of the rotating fan. I only have 1 ice tray. I put half of the ice on a low bowl. Yes!! If I concentrated hard enough, I swear I can feel the air is not as hot/humid. {maybe not wishful thinking...}

Well, I can't really say if all this worked from hours ago. Because we're now experiencing thunder/lightning/rain and very nice cool breeze flowing through the house. But, hey! I have psychologically convinced myself that it does work. And that's what really counts. =)
(1)

MichiganOwl, I hope the court goes in your favor. It may not if your mom proves she's still able to care for herself and is no harm to self and others.
(1)

Chris, I think I understand what you're saying about contact. When people you know are going through a hard time, or if you haven't heard from someone in a while, you take the time 'to be there' for them, or ensure they're okay. When your mom went visiting and did not contact you, you felt concerned - not only about your mom's welfare but also yours (in case some unforeseen circumstances happen.)... I think ????

Before my mom passed away, I spent decades keeping up with my various siblings. I did most of the contacting, they responded back. Rarely do they reach out and contact me. I was gungho - for the family - no matter what. When mom passed away, and gifted money was involved, my sibs showed their true self. I was hurt, disappointed .. but most especially disillusioned... I no longer 'reach out and touch someone'. I've learned to face reality of where I stand among my sibs. "Family" is different from their viewpoint compared to mine...

If this is Not what you meant, sorry I misunderstood your meaning. Reading things is so different than seeing/speaking to the person in front of you. A lot of guessing...
(2)

Chris,
A day ago your Mom was insistent upon talking to you about MJ helping you. This has understandably upset you. That she invades your space, your privacy, and follows you when you try to get away.
The next day, she did not even bring it up or apologize, just acted like nothing happened?

When do you sleep? Does she interrupt your sleep requirements?
(0)

Chris, are you saying that you are angry at your mother for not contacting you while she was on her trip?

If she can independently travel and visit a friend, I'm not sure how much care-giving she is in need of.

Perhaps you would be happier living on your own. Can that be managed?
(3)

Sendhelp-Nope. She reacted today like nothing happened, and I just felt my feelings being squashed again.

Just to clarify, my mother is not my caregiver. Because, There are things she can't be(or shouldn't be) doing anymore. That only I can do.

The severity of my health:

1. While all three conditions are incurable, they can happen suddenly to anyone for the most inexplicable reason(s).

2. Regardless of the severity of my health. Anyone should keep in contact with, and go the extra mile for people they care about.

I have done that for someone in Tuscon(AZ) when the 'medical authorities' have messed them up.

I worry about someone in California, when I couldn't get a hold of them. They very rarely use any other form of communication, other than their cell phone.

The point being, that I go the extra mile when I care about someone other than family.
(1)

Chris,
Thanks for explaining that.

You have good insight into what kind of help you do not need from social workers. And I am glad that you have your own therapist, hopefully on your side.

You may just need a little (very little) help and support from your friends who care.

Let me know if I can help, as a forum peer, but I am not a professional. There are so many others on the forum much more fun to talk to than me.

Are you feeling better tonight?
(2)

Sendhelp-I have a therapist. But the reason I don't have my mother come to the appointments anymore. Is because it was just like when my (ex)wife n' I were in couples' counseling. I was blamed for everything. I don't have a social worker, because they try to psychologically fit me in a nice neat box w/o understanding me.

My family doesn't have to tolerate it. Because they deny it.
(3)

Chris,
I think I understand, and know what it is like when family around you feels they can use your skills, exploit you for their own needs to be met, put you down not understanding your disability, and at the same time when you need something, or care, they abandon you.
Hoping that you can get a professional advocate, a social worker; and move to "supportive housing" to decrease your stress. Allow someone else to step up and really see the care needs of your mom. I don't think anyone in your family can tolerate being treated that way. You should not have to.
(4)

Yes @Black Hole! So true!!! My mom's independence really is me running around like a hamster in a wheel. So funny of you to point that out for me. Made me laugh.
(2)

cwillie, That is a foregone conclusion.

As for exploring other options for her. I have told my maternal aunt, my father, and my step-mother about her decline. My father n' step-mother have remained stand-offish about it. My aunt finally apologized about playing down the severity. But it has felt just like when my (ex)wife n' I were having a lot of problems. Everyone(my parents' included) blamed me for all the problems. Including my (ex)wife's parents'. Using the affects of my brain surgery that had as a kid, as an excuse. Never once did anyone hold her accountable. Years later, her parents' contacted mine for help in getting my (ex)wife on disability. We did have an 'living apart' kind of discussion the other day. Just that my mother was mentioning about being gone for several months. I did say I liked it when she is gone. But, I didn't like the lack of contact. As in, no communication for that period of time. She just got back from a three week trip to Oregon to visit a good friend of hers on the coast. I did have contact twice with my father. But as usual, he tells me I am wrong, almost as much as my mother.
(1)

Funny how we agonize over taking away a parent's "independence." When they don't genuinely have independence anymore anyhow. And in some cases, are too addled to know what independence actually is. Amazing how we allow emotions to overshadow practicality.
(5)

Hi Jam, blessings. From all of the posts that I read here I know that longtime caregiving is not for me. I was caregiver to mom for a year before I realized what part dementia had in her problems. It's been 5 months this year dealing with a drastic increase in delusions, risky behavior, hallucinations,  etc. My dad passed recently and we were not able to fully care for him or even fully grieve. Mom was unaware who had died at the time, but seems to know sometimes now. As far as caring for her, I gladly still make doctor appointments and take her to the doctor. I also enjoy helping her once or twice a week with errands and shopping or just getting her out of the house. Mom has at times lived with me or one of my siblings this year even when dad was alive, due to the dementia. We are all of the conclusion that she cannot live alone, and the doctor has said the same. We cannot continue to give her 24/7 supervision. She refuses home care. Next week I will have my chance in court to become her guardian and conservator. Our plan ( my siblings and I ) is for assisted living for her. On a good day or hour she can present well, argue her case as well as the next person. Because of this it will be interesting to see how things turn out in court. But this is a step we have all agreed to take because we think it is best. If it doesnt work out, we will decide what to do next. If we are successful, we all gladly agree it is worth every penny of our inheritance to get good care for her. We have chosen a place that will give her a secure beautiful apartment, not just a room. It is bright and cherry and active. We are hoping she can adjust there, receive daily care, and avoid a nursing home for some time. Only time will tell how these plans will work out. As for how I (we) are doing? We are exhausted, saddened, and sorry to have to take away her independence. But if reading all these posts have done anything for me it is to know that I cannot continue down the same path of caregiving this year has brought. I believe in resolution as much as possible for the health and wellbeing of myself and my siblings, for their children and for their marriages. Prayers to all who find themselves in these situations. 
(3)

Chris, I think the dichotomy that exists in your living arrangements is at the root of you frustrations, you see yourself as your mother's caregiver, and she sees herself as Yours. Is there any possibility of the two of you going your separate ways? Realistically you likely can not continue to be her caregiver as her physical health declines, maybe it is time to explore her other options.
(3)

How can an intervention be done with the elderly?

I was basically physically pinned. I was laying on the couch watching a James Bond marathon on cable, when she came in the den, wanted to sit down, and just started talking as if I suddenly had to stop everything I was doing and listen to her. I couldn't exit quickly, unless I had climbed over the back of the couch. I wanted to go anywhere but be in the den at that moment. She always accuses me of being 'violent'. Regardless of how I respond. I can't even walk away w/o her following me and trying to criticize me some more.

My bedroom door to the den has a lock on it that doesn't work. The door to my bathroom has no lock. As for the MJ garbage, I found this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-otte/no-cannabis-is-not-a-cure_b_9292238.html; done by the Huffington Post in Feb.'2016. That was very telling about the MJ debate. I 'basically' tell her 'NO'. But it doesn't make a difference, she persists'. I get on my computer, put my computer headphones on, and turn on the music so I can't hear her. I do a lot of 'distracting'.

Now knowing that she doesn't remember the timetable of my meds over the last 30+yrs., let alone the names of the medications, when switched from one to the other. Says I really can't trust her with my meds. I vehemently and absolutely refuse to go anywhere near MJ. I won't even try it to satisfy her. A friend of mine tried it, and it made them sick. When I made a med switch in 1983(16), from a two-seizure med combo, to a single med. That switch was needed. Because the combo was no longer affective after 16. The next switch was in 2003, and I initiated the switch. I was living almost 1,000mi. away, to get away from her and get my then-fiance the medical care she couldn't get here. The first single med was losing its' affectiveness, so I had to get the change to a better med.
(0)

Chris; I hope that you're okay.

The way to go with folks who want to make suggestions like that is not to fight back. Say, I'll have to look into that, mom.

Then, either check with your doctor about medical marijuana, or fib and told her that your did and that your doctor said that it isn't a good fit for your kind of seizure disorder.
(2)

Chris516, are you able to get away from her nagging about marijuana? Does your bedroom have a lock that .. one that she cannot unlock? When it gets too much, just tell her No. And if she continues to nag you about it, that you're going to your bedroom for privacy. Then do it. Lock it and full blast your tv/radio. While inside, why don't you surf the web (this site?) or read a book. Whatever to distract you from her. .. and keep doing this- every time she brings up the subject... I don't know any other way to avoid her nagging about your med solutions... without literally leaving the home.
(0)

Goodnight Chris516....
Tomorrow is a day
like no other day
has ever been
or will be again.
Sleep well.
(0)

Hey Chris,
Everything okay?
(1)

What's happening with you, Chris516?
Deep breaths, 3x.
(1)

Hello
(1)

Intervention here, Chris....until your friends on AC can show up to help you.
Take a trip outside, ten -30 minutes. Calm yourself.
Those are just words, coming from a difficult person, who may no longer have capacity to manage your medications.
Go outside, now, inspect the yard, chill. You are not wrong. You are right, and no one can force you to take a med or marijuana if you refuse.
No violence needed.
Stay safe.
Call 911 if you cannot calm yourself.
Come back in and talk about it.
See you in 30 minutes?
(2)

My mother told me something verbatim, that she told me yesterday.

Then she lit a firestorm.  She started discussing marijuana and how it works in her words, "a lot of people".  When I reminded her that it is not a cure-all for cancer, or epilepsy.  She kept brow-beating me.  Saying it works for a lot of people.  Then I reminded her of a friend of mine with epilepsy, who tried it, and it just made her sick.  My mother kept going on about it helping people, ignoring what I said.  She didn't stop until, I said I would smash the front door, and flatten anyone who tried to force it on me.

She even got my medication wrong along with the dates that it changed.
(1)

Book, my mom's been gone not quite four months. It's still quite unreal. Give yourself a lot of time to grieve. Cry whenever you feel the need. It's very natural to feel that way. I'm giving myself a year before I feel whole again. If I need longer, so be it. There's no timeline as you know. ((Hugs))
(7)

Wonderful, book (((((((hugs)))))
(1)

Book you have more than followed in Auntie L's footsteps, Hugs with both arms.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter