Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I'm ready to strangle my 90 year old father. Last Sunday he fell in the bathroom, trying to put his pants on standing up. This after having mentioned feeling dizzy several times in the last week, including Sunday morning. He was lucid, didn't lose consciousness, nothing seemed broken and bleeding was only from an arm and superficial. I called a friend to help me get him up, and then we called EMS. They checked him out and his vitals were stable. He didn't go to the hospital.

Last week we did doctors every single day. My brother took Dad to his doctor on Monday and he had a dizzy spell on the way in the door. BP was 90/30. They discontinued 2 meds, checked him out, and sent him home, telling him he needed to start using a cane or a walker. Tuesday I went to a post-op visit for my leg surgery. Wednesday Dad got an MRI of the brain (we told him it was to see if he had one) - lots of age related change but no sign of stroke or tumor. Thursday we went back to the doctor for X-rays (since Medicare won't pay for MRIs and xrays the same day). No fall related problems but his spine is a mess with disc space "obliterated." Friday I was back to my own doctor with possible abdominal problems.

So it's been stressful. Today Dad announces that he doesn't need to use the cane because he's walking "just as well as he did before." After telling me he was in excruciating pain on Thursday, today he's apparently just fine. He's not listening to me, he's not understanding when he does pay even a little attention, and I'm providing assisted living for him in his home (I moved in with him 2.5 hours ago, taking early retirement and moving from CT to TX to take care of him).

But I'm ready to just let him go out on his own w/o a cane. If he falls, he falls. Tonight I really do not care. I really don't. I don't even feel that bad about saying it. He's a stubborn old man who has announced he plans to die in his house and will NOT go to "one of those places." I'm tired and cranky - and know I need to be taking care of myself or I can't take care of him. I have a brother who lives 2.5 hours away and does come for frequent multi-day visits, and he came at the drop of a hat when Dad fell, but mostly it all falls on me. Whine, whine, whine.
(2)

Bluebird, my mom was diagnosed with dementia when I was in my early 20's. My dad had to retire to take care of 'wandering/forgetful' mom when I was age 24. My dad had a stroke and became bedridden when I was age 46. My mom passed away a year later. Mom was bedridden a little over 13years. When mom died, I was soooo filled with guilt. My dad took care of mom for 22 years. 1 year after he became bedridden, my mom died during my watch as their main caregiver. She was on 24/7 oxygen and trache and stomach tube. Towards the end, I couldn't finish 1 nutrient can per feeding. It was becoming less and less. Until she was only going with 1 can per day. I felt like I was starving her. She was losing weight so fast. But it wasn't fat that she was losing but muscles. The guilt got worse when I saw how the skin on her legs were tightly wrapped around her bony legs. And it was creeping up! I tried so hard to feed her but her stomach was not taking the nutrient from the stomach tube. One morning, I was shocked to see how fast her shoulder muscles disappeared and her skin was so tight against her bone. Oh my gosh! I'm starving her! I recalled panicking and telling oldest sis that mom is starving.

Bluebird, what I'm trying to say is that I had to learn the hard way that we may try to force our parent to eat but the body will not accept it if the body is beginning to shut down. You, me - we cannot stop the process. In the end, my siblings and I tried to make mom as comfortable as possible. We took turns talking to her, keeping her clean, and trying so hard to get hospice service to help her in her pain. No one does home visits. So mom died without hospice. I'm so glad that your mom has hospice service. Just go with the flow of your mom's body. Deal with caregiver's guilt of not doing enough (when in reality we have.) Be there for her, even if it's just in short conversations, etc... All these little things will help you in the future to counter-act the caregiver's guilt... I'm currently going through this with my father's passing.
(2)

Sendhelp-

I tell them, what they fear. It is exactly that, fear. It isn't the truth or any official diagnosis.

The only thing in regards to my health, that they are involved in, is paying for my catastrophic health insurance policy.

Yes, Whenever. My elderly mother uses the severity of my (physical)health as a way to put me down.

My parents' have been divorced since I was 3(51 in May 2018) have not individually had any major issues of recent. Except for the aging process.

If the weather was better, I would be out on my (road)bike for a multi-hour ride. I want to get back into martial arts and (Ten-Pin)bowling.

I keep my doors' closed when my mother is awake.
(1)

Chris,
When parents become intrusive, one could respond by saying:
Discussion of my health concerns are between me and my doctor.

However, if they are in some way supervising your health and supposed to be helping you, I can understand your frustration and desire for independence. You could say,
"When did you get your M.D. licences?"

My guess is that they bring this up whenever, they just blurt it out, even in front of other family or friends? It may seem like you are "the identified patient" in the family even though they have those diagnoses. This serves to make them feel better, thinking something is wrong with you.

It also sounds like your family is dealing with multiple issues that make it hard not only on just you, but all of you. Be kind to each other, give each other a break. And stop doing things that stress you out, that you should not be doing, for your own health.

See if there is a class, a program, a group meeting that will get you out of the house in the daytimes. Learn to manage your time so that you won't look like you are just hanging around, ready to be a target for your mother.

Hope this was helpful, even if I didn't get your specific situation correct.
(1)

Sendhelp-My mother was thinking I had Fuch's Dystrophy. Because she has it. But I know I don't have it. They both my parents' were thinking I had Sleep Apnea because they have it. But with my sleep problems, Sleep Apnea virtually impossible.

But I certainly know what you mean by Munchausens Syndrome. It certainly feels' like that.

There were several more 'ailments', that they think I have. They haven't 'butchered' my younger brother with all this 'diagnosing'.
(1)

Chris,
Look up Munchaussen syndrome. No, you don't have it! They do. By proxy.

Keep in mind you are not there to be studied by anyone. It really irks me that people get excited finding out my dH's diagnosis, they want to do their thesis about him.

You are you, surviving nicely no doubt. Keep standing your ground.

Your family could help by respecting you more. imo.
(2)

A strange 'elderly' question for everyone, while I am thinking of it.

Have your elderly relatives taken to 'diagnosing' you with this illness, or that illness?

I am asking because I was wondering if it was a sign of something in my elderly parents'.

Over the past ten years. I have been told by my parents', I have:

1. Fuchs Dystrophy
2. Sleep Apnea
3. Etc.

I am not in denial. But they keep saying I might have this, or that. Whatever 'this, or that' is. Always changes.
(1)

bluebirdnanny, that feeling of failure hung with me for such a long time after my Dad passed. It took about 2 years and some counseling to deal with it. I think we work so hard to keep them going, through all the ups and downs - it's a roller coaster. And then when we can't save them it can be devastating. You are giving it everything you can. We caregivers are pretty darned strong, you know. But at some point, it's just beyond our control. We can't stop time. You're story is so full of love. I'm sure your Mom feels it and appreciates it.
(3)

Becky, I liked reading about your Dad's sendoff. Funny how that stuff happens sometimes. Sounds perfect.
(0)

Just found this. I am glad it is here. Compassuss keeps asking How are YOU doing when they come. I think sometimes I should not answer it as I fear they may decide I can't care for mom. But since Dr said the word Hospice she now is refusing to eat anything and won't get out of bed for anything other than the potty chair. Dr put her on an antidepressant because of how she answered questions of the Medicare Wellness questionnaire scored her at the bottom of clinical depression. And with my disabilities he noted I was looking worn and tired. I don't like having to give it to her but there is no sleep at night for me if I don't and I will NOT put her in a home. I feel guilty right now though thinking there should be some way to get her to eat. Mentally I know there is nothing to do when they refuse to eat but emotionally I feel like I am the one starving her. I offer food but she refuses. I have even made food pureed and then thinned that to drinkable. She won't have it. For a while she wouldn't even take a sip of anything. Only when I started saying my job is to offer it, if you don't want it that is your right to refuse it. So now it is here you want to taste this, ok then and I put it away. I don't even try to get her to "drink some of this" I just say "here you look thirsty, want one little sip?" Any time I see her awake I ask if she needs a "sip". Last couple days that gets ONE bottle of ENSURE PLUS and maybe some sips of water in her. Still I know it isn't enough to keep her going too long. I am just fighting the feeling I will be why she dies if I don't get her to eat. Others remind me it is all part of the Dementia and the added Thyroid issue. Emotionally I still feel a failure.
(2)

Blackhole-To boot, my maternal aunt makes the excuse of saying she n' her husband can't do anything because they live out-of-state. My father n' step-mother who live regionally. Told me to tell them when something happens. I have done that in the past, and they have just reacted like I am making a fuss about nothing. I told my sister-in-law, who was in the region w/ brother and their two preteen kids over Christmas. She didn't react at all.

My 'Reset' button will need a replacement.
(3)

Chris, I hear ya. Even in the worst of times, my mom was a math whiz, always knew what day it is and who is president, yada yada. But SO INSANE about mundane household tasks. Idiotic fears and "what-if" scenarios out the wazoo. Immensely frustrating.

Mom was thoroughly convinced that living in a hoarded house with escalating deferred maintenance was THE answer. If I suggested anything normal –– like spending a mere $400-$500 of her gazillion dollars on a washer that actually works right AND having the trusted neighbor install it (not a stranger!) -- I'd be on the receiving end of so much fury and so many "yes buts" I couldn't think straight.

Mom REFUSED to believe that she did not have to separate her recycling to the Nth degree when I schlepped her recycling to my borough's recycling drop-off. (I honestly don't think Mom needed to separate to that degree for her own municipality's recycling. But once Mom latched onto any sort of self-induced, unproductive time-wasting minutia, it became part of her identity. Forget reasoning.)

Mom HAD to shred every piece of mail she received, so "they" don't know her name and address and "do something goofy with my identity or rob my house." I made the mistake of explaining that her name and address is.....on the front of her house, in the White Pages, in the church directory and in the database of every charity and catalog she's cozied up to over the past 20 years -- not to mention the trillion times those organizations sold her contact info to other hucksters. And that alone is not pernicious. It's life. For all of us. OH BROTHER, my explanation set her off.

No answers here. Just hang in there, Chris. Do whatever you need to do to preserve your own sanity. Get outdoors. Get on your bike. Clear your head. Grab any opportunity for a reset. Even if it's just 5 or 10 minutes.
(5)

I haven't updated in a while.

My elderly mother is getting more irrational and accusing me of not listening to her.

She was whining about how I 'accomplish' the taking out of the recycling. So I listened to her for 5mins., being irrational. I finally put a stop to it, again. She finally understood how I did it. Also that it was right.

Her irrational behavior started because she suddenly started worrying about the contractor dropping the paper recycling. I told my mother. That is not my fault if the contractor drops any of the recycling. I wasn't going to do the recycling for that sole purpose.

She will be 78 in November. It will only get worse.
(3)

Pam, glad the day went well for you and your mom. An anniversary like that can be difficult.

I'm fortunate with the anniversary of my dad's death. I dread it but then I remember everything that happened that day and I have to smile. My dad passed on July 1, 1991. The only day available for his funeral was July 4th at 1:00. It was in his hometown in WV which happens to be the U.S. Town with the biggest small town 4th of July celebration. It's been shown a couple of times on national television. On the evening of the wake, they were having fireworks in town. Traffic was terrible and there was a carnival with rides next door to the funeral home. There was another family in a different room but the funeral home put the wrong room for the viewing in the news paper, so all of these people from way out in the country kept coming in and asking why it was a closed casket. We got thru that. The day of the funeral was the big parade (tractors, fire trucks with sirens blaring, etc.). My father was not religious and the preacher didn't have a lot to work with. Anyway, we Finished and went thru the parade traffic to the cemetery. Everyone got there finally. The preacher did a brief service. Just as he said Amen, lightening cracked, loud thunder and a total downpour. I can't help but smile. My son says it's the only time he had ever attended a combined 4th of July and funeral. My dad loved firecrackers and had a huge collection in his shed. That evening my son and one of dad's neighbors shot off every firecracker he had. My dad had a great send off that he would have loved.
(8)

Well, today was the day that I dreaded, but, knew would come. My LO, (my cousin, but more like an aunt), didn't recognize me when I went to visit. I was sad, but, I was still able to make her smile, but, only for a minute. That's something I had prepared for for years. Oh well......maybe, it'll be different next time, but, I doubt it. But, I feel blessed, because she was not distressed or agitated.
(9)

Today is 3 years from when my father passed, and Mom has been pretty good. DD came for a long visit, and we are having his favorite meal for dinner. (meat loaf, mashed potatoes and corn) Plus DD left Bella here to keep mom company,, she loves that dog! So far so good, as good as can be.
(3)

Dear Send,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet doggy. Thinking of you. Sending you hugs.
(1)

R.I.P. good good doggy.
(3)

Cwillie - same here! It's an odd, odd occurrence here in Michigan that we have 50-60 degree days in February, but it's happening now. No snow, no ice, blue skies and warm temperatures. Not looking for it to last long, as this is Michigan, after all - and we can have some of our worst blizzards in March, and it's been known to snow for Easter.

There are some pros and cons to this:

Pro - I was able to bury my deceased dog yesterday, because the ground was still frozen when he died a few weeks ago. I was getting increasingly anxious about it, because as every day got warmer, I kept worrying about him in his "cold storage" space, becoming...well, less cold. So I feel a little better now that it's done.

Con - the ice is *gone* from the lakes and rivers far too early this year. Pretty sure there have been more than a few ice fishing shanties that ended up in the lakes because the owners didn't get them off the ice in time. The thaw happened quickly. The "ice bridge" that is used to go back and forth (on snowmobiles) to Mackinac Island every year is gone way before it normally is, and there's open water under the bridge. High winds 2 days ago broke up 16"-18" thick pieces of ice and piled them up against the shoreline - and up - and up - until they were within just a few feet of the houses along the shore. Dangerous stuff - but pretty - it's called "blue ice" because as it breaks up and piles up on the shore, it takes on a blue cast. Look up "blue ice mackinaw city" on Youtube for a good video of it.
(3)

Aging Care fixed my problem of someone else's question's being posted with my name. Lovely! So this caregiver is having a good start to the day. May you all have a nice day too!
(7)

Book, you sound like me. My nights are very similar. I've been popping a Pepcid every day lately. Seems to help with the acid reflux but the sinus problem is still here. Ah well.
(4)

Being tired of waking up throughout the night from the sinus pressure headache, every night, I decided this morning to do something drastic. I thought about this next method carefully, weighing the pros and cons. I have Finally calmed down my acid reflux. I no longer wake up with those nasty bitter stomach taste. I can lie down on my left side without triggering the acid reflux. (Still cannot lie on my right side.) This method is the most simple, quickest and effective way to release my sinus head pressure. I was torn but I also need my sleep.

I went for it this morning. I made sure to eat breakfast - hoping it would help alleviate the stomach's reaction to it..... The method is to swallow 1 TBS of apple cider vinegar - 3 times a day..... This morning, I swallowed it on a full stomach. Wow! It burned my throat. And then my stomach.... I had a miserable morning at work. My stomach felt Awful. Queasy. Burping. I even felt like throwing up. I was miserable.

Good news: I actually blew my nose before I left the house. Had to blow my nose while I was driving. Blew my nose while at work. And it was draining also down my throat. .. Taking ACV plain without diluting it with water/honey is one very strong solution... I'm too scared to take another one today. I do not want to have my acid reflux come back with a vengeance. I'm thinking of trying it again tomorrow morning. Desperate measures.
(4)

MsMadge, make sure you don't retire or move into a senior community in Nevada. I've also heard that Texas is one of those states that have a poor record when it comes to senior citizens. I didn't read the article just the summary to lure you to read it.
(4)

Insomnia. Ruminating. Slow-burn drama at work. Minor home repair. A little in-law flare-up. “First-world problems,” as they say. I desperately need to play hooky and indulge in some flake-out time. But I can’t afford to not be “visible” at work. I’ll be zombie tired, dammit! But visible. 😐
(8)

I imagine if I live long enough that I'll be a ward of the state - hopefully not Nevada state
(4)

I just checked the nearby beach web cam and I see nothing but water water everywhere (no ice) and the sun just peeked out, I know it is still only February but I'm doing the happy dance inside!
(6)

I think I stumbled across something similar, I'm not sure if it was in nevada thought. On the one hand it is good to be informed, but on the other I am powerless to change things in far away places so I try to purge that kind of thing from my mind, it just makes me feel helpless and ill.
(3)

Madge, I read that article, too. I also remember from the time when I was living in Nevada that this was an issue there fifteen years ago, that courts can appoint guardians, that it is a for-profit small business venture for anyone who wants to get into it. Pretty gross stuff. I hope the national spotlight on the issue will lead to some changes.
(3)

Just read an article from the New Yorker which described the atrocities committed by state guardians in Nevada titled how the elderly lose their rights - absolutely frightening
(3)

Send, was that a joke about actually snorting the tap water? It's dangerous to do that. YouTubes and on the neti pot box all warn not use the tap water but to boil it first to kill whatever is in the water. Don't want it to mosey up to your brain and start eating it until your brain becomes mush, mushy....

I take things literally. You're not the only one who notices it. Family have learned not to joke with me with a straight face. I believe it's the truth. Or if they tell jokes, I don't see why it's funny. I'm busy dissecting the story until .. like you trying to explain the joke - give up. Of course, what I find so very funny, they just don't get it. I think, out of my 7 siblings, only oldest sis gets my sense of humor... Either that or she's humoring me....
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter