Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
Early Tom Hanks, "Big" and "The Man With One Red Shoe"
Bill Murray in "The Man Who Knew Too Little"
(1)

Not a movie, but a great TV series done in the 60's era Australia, called LOVE CHILD. Iwas able to see the 1sr season on an obscure cable channel, but the second season has never turned up. You can watch it on Utube though, and well worth a peak! It's about teenage girls, knocked up, and sent to a home for uwed Mother's. But the whole 60's thing was well done, if you like that sort of thing!
(1)

It should probably go on the CBB thread, but the one episode of Fawlty Towers that has the wonderful Joan Sanderson in it. If you laugh at the hearing aid scene you definitely are a caregiver behaving badly, though.
(5)

May I add a qualifier to this question and get some input? I am looking for movies suitable for my mom and her fellow residents in a memory care unit. They have a "movie room" where they play DVDs and allow the residents to wander in and out as they wish. They mostly play episodes of old TV series like "Little House on the Prairie" and "Bonanza", but I am trying to add some variety. So far I have found a couple, but I am looking for suggestions for movies and musicals from the 40s and 50s that are not too complex and not frightening or suspenseful (I don't want to make things harder for the staff). There are some "collections" online, but they are mostly movies that I have never heard of, so I don't know anything about their content. I am going to look for "The Long Long Trailer", but does anyone have any other suggestions?
(1)

Akdaughter, if you are looking for older more classic movies, I'd try:

Yours Mine and Ours with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball. (quite funny and good story)

White Christmas

Auntie Mame

Around the World in 80 Days

Kiss Me Kate

Cheaper By The Dozen

Arsenic and Old Lace

Sabrina
(3)

akdaughter, anything Rodgers & Hammerstein--especially South Pacific
(3)

Planes, Trains and Automobiles with John Candy and Steve Martin, hilarious. I watch it every time it comes on.
(3)

Thanks, everyone. I already have a couple of these (South Pacific and White Christmas), but I will search for some of the others. I lean toward the musicals because my mom likes music and one of her fellow residents is a retired high school music teacher. And they can still enjoy the music even if they can't follow the plot.
(1)

For the care facility crowd: I've never seen it - but wasn't Carousel big, back in the day? I've recently saw Daddy Long Legs again - love it - and I've always loved Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart - which leads me to Funny Face - which leads me to Breakfast at Tiffanys. How To Marry a Millionaire doesn't have music but it is shorter in length which might be good. And of course An Affair to Remember - if you don't mind the classic line "Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories". Sorry! All classics in my humble opinion.
(2)

Gentleman Prefer Blonds has lots of music. My two all time favorite old movies are Roman Holiday but there no singing and a bittersweet ending. And, The Barefoot Contessa with fabulous Ava Gardner and Humphrey Bogart - but it does have a sad ending. I also am a huge fan of Imitation of Life with Lana Turner and Sanda Dee. Which reminds me to suggest any of the Tammy movies - always perky with lots of singing.
(2)

Meet me in St. Louis, An American in Paris, 42nd Street - all have a ton of music. Sheez- this is making me realize what a nerd I really am!
(2)

OMG! How could I have forgot The Sound of Music!!! Okay - I'll stop now.
(0)

My Fair Lady - Audrey Hepburn. Okay - done now - I mean it this time. So sorry!
(3)

Did not watch this movie-and don't anybody get any ideas:

I think John Candy was in "Throw Momma From the Train".

No offense intended, really.
(2)

7 brides for 7 brothers
Oklahoma
Singin in the Rain
Meet me in St. Louis
Some like it hot - Marilyn Monroe, jack lemon and tony Curtis
my all time favorite ever filmed at the hotel del on Coronado island in San
(1)

Danny devito and Billy's crystal were in throw mama

John candy was in a wonderful film with Maureen Ohara - Only the lonely
(0)

CASABLANCA

Wizard of OZ
(0)

My parents loved Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (in my Dad's case, I strongly suspect that had a lot to do with Goldie Hawn mind you). They were also big Bob Hope fans (oh God he isn't one of the people who've since been horribly discredited is he..? Please say no!).

I just spent ten minutes looking for a well-founded list of top ten musicals of all time - hopeless. If you go by box office returns, with the exception of Grease, they're all from the last decade or two purely because of inflation and population increase. It is of course difficult to get data for how many people have actually seen something, ever. And all of the pundits' recommendations are either terribly partisan, or are then challenged by hundreds of pages of protests from followers.

You could go back to the Oscar winners and nominees from the decades in question - forties, fifties, sixties, seventies.

Do watch out for odd reactions, by the way. My mother got horribly distressed by not only West Side Story (which she loved so much she dragged me to see it on stage when I was about twelve) but also Bugsy Malone, for crying out loud. But she used to sit in perfect content watching Midsomer Murders reruns day after day. Maybe nothing can be really scary if it's got John Nettles in it.
(1)

Akdaughter, A few more:

The SEVEN LITTLE FOYS from 1958. It's a musical with Bob Hope and a lot of singing kids.

How The West Was Won.

The Music Man

Hello Dolly
(2)

What ever happened to family entertainment, it seems television and movies today are all either specifically for children or full of violence and/or sex. When I revisit older offerings I realize many of the the cleverest old movies and even televised comedy were full of double entendres that totally went over my head when I was a child.
(3)

My MIL asked my children to explain South Park to her, CW, when she saw Daughter 2 wearing a Mr Garrison t-shirt. They've never in all their lives gone so quiet, before or since.

I'm afraid I can still be heard in changing rooms telling myself "Ai'm not fath, Ai'm big-boned."
(0)

Oo! I wonder if you can all help me with a mystery.

Thinking about Mr Bean, have you

a) heard of him
b) intentionally watched him
c) laughed much?
(1)

a) yes
b) no, please no
c) groaned more than laughed, not my kind of humour I'm afraid
(0)

The British TV series "Keeping up Appearances", never went away without a lot of laughing. It's a about a woman, Hyacinth who wants to keep a high social standing in the community. She has two sisters, Rose & Daisy, who aren't into the social standing and their Daddy lives with them but runs away every now and then. The neighbors, delivery people, and even the mailman prefer not to run into Hyacinth. And the church ladies will run and hide if they see her coming into the building.

The above show is on reruns.
(2)

Ummm - Mr. Bean. I'm with cwillie, no thank you. The only time I found him even the slightest bit funny was his small role as a store clerk in Love Actually. Hubby is a huge South Park fan - I consider it to be one of his few character flaws. Although, I have to admit the episode with Tom Cruise in the closet was pretty funny.
(1)

My Cousin Vinny
When Harry met Sally
The Devil Wears Prada
and double that for Birdcage ( either version)
Also any episode of the TV situation comedy Frasier.
(1)

anything with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers! Pure fluff, fantasy and fun.
(3)

Love the TV shows "Frasier" and "The Big Bang Theory". Both are on almost daily on the reruns. There isn't one ho-hum episode in either.
(0)

loved Blackadder and some of Mr. Bean is funny
(1)

Well instead of clearing up the mystery you've deepened it.

I was trying to sound neutral, but I give up: who the heck are the millions who are paying to see Mr Bean? I find it uniformly, embarrassingly dreadful - but the records show that it is a global success. I can only assume they adore it in countries where they have absolutely nothing to laugh about. Kyrgyzstan and Malawi, maybe?

I hope I'm not about to get posts from offended Malawian and Kyrgyzstani forum members...
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter