Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
"I dream of a log home in the wilderness, warmth created by a fireplace or wood burning stove"....
Yup, hauling in wood, scraping out ashes. 95 degrees by the stove but icicles in the bedrooms. Miles of lane-way to plow and miles to the nearest store down icy, drifted back roads so every trip out is an expedition. Sounds like heaven on earth. LOL
(3)

My fingernails are getting too long, and I keep hitting the number keys, sorry for all of these typos! I sure wish we could get a bigger comment box in all of the new site updates, it would be easier to double check my work!😉
(1)

GA, Woe Nelly! Slow down there Sunshine! LOL! Take a deep breath and look about at the Wonders of this Beautiful Summer! Tomato vines bursting with heavy hanging fruit, blackberries ripening as fast as I can pick them, my Rhubarb plant, finally in its second year, and I can harvest, to make a blackberry Rhubarb pie, Yum! The gorgeous hydrangeas with big blue poms, now 5 ft high! The grass is brown however, but we've managed to keep the garden beds watered!

Who am I kidding, I'm with you! Enough of this Hot weather, lets move it along into Fall, my personal Favorite time of year! Great big pumpkins on the portch, from the farm this year, because our vines got crouded out, and didn't flourish. I don't know why our luck with pumpkins is hit and miss, when everything else does Great? The kiddies are headed back to school soon, and Halloween is fast approaching, with the excitement of choosing their costumes! Thanksgiving, Yummm, a big fat Roasted Turkey, with Pumpkin Pie, my Favorite!

Mainly, I guess, I'm juzt not quite ready for Christmas, as it's way too damn expensive anymore, so I'm figuring out a way to do it differently, 3now is a good time to discuss this with the famil6. I know that all of the adults will agree, so perhaps we will set limits on spending, as the children all have So Much, and spoiling them further makes no sense. Maybe a Santa Train Experience, or some outher outing all together right close to the holiday, would be a better way to enjoy each other to celebrate the Reason for the Season!

But now I'm back to closing my eyes, and enjoying the lovely images of Winter you set forth GA, and I'll put that stress on the back burner, and try to go pick some of those blackberries later today, after the sun passes over and it's not too hot! I do Love to dress in layers on a Cold winters day with a nice plaid scarf! Brrrrr!
(1)

The talk of wood stoves is creating images of winter scenes, gently falling snow, that fresh scent of winter, cool and crisp. I see evergreens frosted with light snow, tracks of the local 4 legged critters, holiday decorations in the stores. I smell hot chocolate, cookies baking in the oven.

I dream of a log home in the wilderness, warmth created by a fireplace or wood burning stove, and that nice, homey, cozy, and relaxed feeling of being at peace with the season.
(1)

Our wood stove is just for heating,, but it has a big flat top you could use to heat water, etc.
(1)

Garden, if your considering a generator for your fathers place I'm thinking it would have to be the automatic type. No one has to start anything or flip any switches or breakers. With installation, a small system would start at around 4 grand.

The most basic generator are the small suitcase type. Very quiet and easy to move around. You would store in in a shed, basement or garage, it runs on gas so it has to be outside when running. Honda makes very good ones that start at about $500. It would run an oxygen unit and some lights. You just run a common extension cord from the generator, into the house and plug in whatever you need to keep alive. You are not re-feeding the house electrical panel. For a little more capacity you can get a larger construction site type unit for about the same money but they can be harder to start and very noisy.

If you need to keep the furnace, well or other hard wired (stuff that is directly connected to circuits and cannot be unplugged) appliances going you need to have an electrician hook up an essential circuits panel for the vital stuff in your house and get a much bigger generator, either portable or stationary.
(2)

Here is a pix that I took of those conifers, before the squirrels get to the rest of them, he's actually up there now, munching away, then every once in awhile, a great big bunch of his tailings coms spraying down, causing my dog to go crazy!
(1)

The subject of living "off the grid" temporarily during power outages and storms got me thinking about ways to segue into relying less on everything - power, grocery stores, etc.

I was reminded of when we used to make ice cream. I still remember the laborious hand cranking ... but the thought of dipping spoons into the freshly churned ice cream, not laden with all sorts of chemicals and whatever, was enough to keep us going.

Is anyone making homemade ice cream these days?
(2)

Pam, is your wood stove a wood cooking stove or heating stove? Some years ago I met a woman who cooked entirely with a wood burning stove. She ran a country B & B.

It was through an online forum, best I've ever found, but has since been closed down to cede its readers to one of those social media sites.

My father of course used a woodburning stove on the farm, and my brother learned to use one when he set up housekeeping. I've often wished I had a wood burning cooking stove, but the issue of the odor would be problematic as I'm allergic to smoke.

Veronica, thanks for sharing your experiences with a generator as well. What caught my eye and made me realize I need to get one for my father is the issue of oxygen.
(1)

Windy,

Few questions:

1. First model: would storage be in a garage, preferably attached, or can a generator be out in the open? I would think it should be in a garage but if the garage is detached, is there a voltage drop for, say, a 30 foot distance of the generator from the house?

Dumb question, but what does the cord plug into? Is there a special outlet installed for the generator? I'm trying to visualize how the generator connects to the house's power supply to provide electricity when the power is out. And what actually powers the generator? Gas? Battery?

2. Re the second model, how does the electric start operate if the power has failed? Is there a battery backup that would power the electric start?
(1)

Our generator came on for three hours last night after a heavy thunderstorm. It is an 8kw and sits outside with it's own propane supply. When the power goes off it waits 10 seconds then kicks in automatically.
8 kw does not do the whole house just the essentials, fridge, freezer well pump,furnace, a few outlets and bathroom lights. We have used it a surprising number of times, usually for just a few hours. We could easily manage without it as we have a wood stove and camping cook stove but would have to be sure to have sufficient water stored.
It was not cheap but for older people especially with oxygen a sensible investment if you can afford it. No TV, phone or Internet but we have cell phones. Hubbies electric car can't charge but I hate that thing anyway.
We did have our generator professionally installed because you have to have a separate sub panel installed for the equipment of your choice to go through.
When we owned a farm the whole house could be switched. There was a big plug that connected to a large tractor with a switch on the main panel. Never used that one though.
Explored the use of a hand pump for the well but it takes a lot of strength if your well is over about 100 feet. I imagine there are battery powered pumps now the lithium batteries are so good for tools etc.
(3)

About generators:

It's great to have one for power outages. There are 3 levels.

The simplest is a small 2000 to 3000 watt (2KW TO 3KW) which is easy to start, run a cord in the house and operate the tv, fridge and a couple lamps.

Next step up is 5 TO 8 KW, on wheels that can be rolled out of the garage and plugged into the house panel. A qualified electrician needs to wire up an ESSENTIAL CIRCUITS panel for lights, heat, pump etc. I recommend an electric start model. Pull starting one this size is for the very able bodied.

The best and most expensive is a stationary, whole house generator which will start automatically when the power goes out. These are usually 12 to 20 KW. Depending on the location of your existing electrical panel, installation can be expensive. They are usually hooked up to your natural gas or propane service so you need a plumber and an electrician.

For most people generators are seldom used but it is a great luxury to have. I feel very smug when I roll mine out and power up the house while my neighbors are trying to eat up everthing in their freezer before it goes bad.
(1)

Want to thank Canada for leasing the giant scooper planes to California during the difficult fire season. Just thanks, neighbors to the North!
(1)

Where I live, a lot of movies are filmed and the movie production companies use these great big tall, white generators, taller than a refrigerator. Nice looking, sleek and modern-if I could have one of those, that would do. It is also interesting that t.v. series like NCIS are filmed here, and some buildings, houses, and roads are easily identified--Oh, look, there is our old senior center, etc.

Pammzi is right, generators would be wise to own in emergencies.
(1)

We have a portable back up gererator, the kind you can plug things into, and have considered a whole house type as we lose our power during storms for up to 5 days ( blah) We can run the fridges and freezers and the main kitchen area. But not the well pump and water heaters... We have a woodstove, but have not really used it for the last few years as the additional smoke is bad when you start it going. We use our gas fireplace.. works when the power is out and heats the main level pretty well. And no smoke!
(2)

Oh Sure Send, I'll get right on that! Lol!
I definitely do keep an eye on my Charlie-girl when we are outside, she's so little, she can easily get into trouble when she gets up into the wooded area of our backyard, and I don't know what might be lurking up there! Little trouble maker! Lol! An eagle could swoop in and carry her off, as she isn't even 5#. It really could happen!

Very hot today! Barometric pressure is on the rise, making my arthritis hurt, especially my hands and knees! Ouchy!
(1)

Stacey, Can you harvest the pine cones (tree surgeon), lay down a bed of pine needles, place the pinecone supply on top, like decorative mulch. Add a tiny border fence-5-7" high, around the pine cones. Put this cute squirrel garden far away in your yard. Squirrels can attack, even a dog. Keep Charley-girl and you safe. Just don't go out during their feeding times, twice a day, morning and dusk.
(2)

My favorite flower is the stargazer lily. I love all the flowers, I like to mix them in pots and in the gardens so there is a lot of color.
(2)

Cwillie, NOT MY SQUIRRELS! They are making a huge mess Daily! I've never experienced this before here! Plus, the squirrels are more aggressive this year, making those angry noises, and will come right up to me, without provocation or any food nearby. Maybe it's the heat? They are most definitely hungry, and munching away furiously! I don't mind, but Charlie-girl does, my screen door is taking a beating! Lol!
(1)

There will be a seed under each "leaf" of the pine cone, too small for you and I to bother with but obviously worthwhile if you are a squirrel.
I always thought the squirrels nibbled pine cones like corn on the cob, complete with the leftover "cob" in the middle.
(1)

It's so funny, as they eat the pine cones like we do artichokes, and drop the leaves, there must be a tasty nut in each layer!
(1)

GA, these are very unusual pine cones for this particular tree, I me3we normally get some, but never in 20 plus years to this quantity, it's very strange, and there are great clusters of them, like hanging bananas, and litt green immature cones, but very fragrant! Tge squirrels are acting crazy this year, do ill6bet you are right, and we will have a harsh winter!

I have 2 great big bags of those Ponderosa Pine cones, that we collected a few years ago on a Car trip to Reno, through the Sierra's. I Like to put them in my fireplace with lights, as we don't light fires anymore. I Love them too! My pine cones aren6fit for decorating yet, if any survive the squirrels, they grow to about 4 inches, and are thin, not big fat ones like the ponderosa type!
(1)

Farmer's almanac is predicting a terrible winter for almost all, cold and snowy for in NE and Midwest, cold and rainy in the PNW, but mild and dry for those who want snow in the ski resorts.

The squirrels in my town are not ordinary squirrels, they are Super Squirrels! They laugh at soapsuds and hot sauce, they have cheerfully eaten my supposedly poisonous jade plant and come back for more. I really don't mind sharing with wildlife, but these furry little pigs don't share, they take it all!
(2)

Ladybug, welcome to this thread. I'm glad to learn that gardening helped you during a challenging time in your life. Are you still gardening? As you wrote, "nurturing" is relaxing, but it's also a way of participating in the cycle of life which has existed for billions of years; for me it's kind of a way to be a part of that cycle for the brief time I'm here.

I'd like to leave a legacy for the pollinators as well; bees especially need our help these days.

What are your favorite flowers?

CM, if I knew of a way to keep squirrels from raiding trees, I'd share it. I don't think pans or things that jingle in the wind would scare them. Unfortunately, like some other animals, they've adapted well to suburban environments.

On a totally unrelated subject, does anyone have rain chains? I first saw them outside of a medical building on the hospital we go to. They're copper, beautiful, and lend a personal and somewhat quaint touch to a building.

After learning more about them, though, I was cautioned by folks on a DIY forum to be concerned b/c of their copper content. It seems that thieves like to steal other people's copper and sell it.

Guess I'll have to find another material to make some rain chains.
(0)

Large numbers of pinecones make sense, like deciduous trees that produce a lot more seeds in the spring time, because in some unique and admirable way they have a way to sense weather changes.

Given the intensity of this summer, it wouldn't surprise me if we had an equally intense winter. The 2015 - 2016 was certainly drastic in some areas.

At least I'm not flooded out though. I feel for the people in southern Louisiana and bordering areas.

I'd like to remodel a portion of my living room to add a wood burning fireplace.

Curious - how many of you have back-up generators?

And on another issue, is anyone considering xeriscaping after suffering through an intensely hot summer?

Interesting that the garden area fared much better than the lawn, which hasn't been amended by years of compost.

Stacey, if you and I lived closer, I'd be over to your house with bags and bags and collect all your pinecones for you. I like to use them in decorations as well as on wreaths. Several years ago I began painting them, just tip painting the edges and tying them with matching ribbon to hang on artificial indoor trees or placed in baskets as table decorations.

CWillie, I haven't tried this, but I'm wondering if a spray of dish detergent and water, or some other soap mixed with water, might discourage the crop raiders? I would think they would enjoy the taste of soap.
(1)

According to folklore, a sudden influx of large pine cones is a predictor of a harsh winter. We have lots this year. I am in Western NY
(1)

Stacey, I wouldn't put it past the little squirrels to be intentionally harassing Charlie-girl. They are quite playful. If you must shoo them away, use a water gun.
Otherwise, look up how to make friends before they conk you on the noggin with a pine cone.
They are very smart and demanding. Have fun.
(2)

In a neighborhood of big tall trees, and our home butting up against a greenbelt, we only have but one very tall pine tree that is near our house, on the property line and right near our backyard patio.

This year, the very first time in 20 plus years, this pine tree has a huge abundance of unripe pinecones, hanging heavy like bunches of bananas, it's Crazy, but what is worse, is that the squirrels Love them, and are eating them at a rapid rate, all starting in this past week, and dropping down onto our patio, all the waste, which is albeit fragrant, but so messy, and driving my little doggie quite Crazy! I don't know how long this will last, but probably until the pinecones are all gone. I may need that airgun, or tranquilizers for my dog! This has Never happened before, so Weird!
(3)

Fiends! Little beasts!

At my last house I had a whole row of hazel trees, CW, and did I ever get a solitary nut off them? Not a chance!

Have you got an air rifle..?
(1)

I opened the blinds in mom's room this morning and checked out the window and spied two grey squirrels. Shoo! A half hour later I looked out and they were back, each one munching on a yellow bean. There will be no keeping them away now that they know the beans are there. Grrrr. Furry tailed tree rats :(
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter