Follow
Read More
It's the unintended consequences that are to be feared with GMOs. Hybrids are often sterile, or don't run true to type, or flourish for a few seasons and then drop off in performance; but they don't generally come to dominate an eco-system. Genetic modification is usually aimed at making a plant hugely successful in its given environment so that it will tend to overwhelm competitors. If something then goes wrong with *it*, and it's already eliminated other species, you could end up with seriously depleted flora and all the problems associated with that - basically it could be a menace to biodiversity.

*Could* being the operative word. But the idea of assuming that the plant technology companies have done as much due diligence as you'd expect makes me for one very uneasy.
(1)

GMO's and Monsanto does cause debate. I would like food without gmo's and organic gardening would be ideal, maybe when I retire I will have time for a vegetable garden again. We had some plots by Monsanto at the place I worked. This company stopped growing monsantos trial plots when gmo's became a big issue back in the late 90's.
(0)

CWillie's point about the mega corporations is a very good one, and is a major factor in the GMO debate.
(1)

Briefly, and without getting into the discussion of the GMO issues, it depends on your viewpoint. Farmers plant GMO seeds for better, more stable production - their end goal is after all, $$$$. Organic gardeners want purity of food, no gene meddling, so we detest anything that's modified.

There's a level above this analysis, and that's that we in fact are also genetically modified, but it's "natural selection". Other than Dolly the Sheep, or Frankenstein, we aren't (yet?) test tube babies (other than by in vitro). But fetus genes aren't modified to produce blondes, brunettes, etc.

And, w/o getting deeply into the issue of how humans evolved, that would be a basic genetic mutation.

We've been modified as we've adapted over thousands of years. Humans certainly weren't the first species on earth. And I would guess that speaking rather than grunting has something to do with basic changes that affected vocal chords.
(0)

The use of GMOs is one of the great debates, the fact that they are controlled and patented by mega corporations just makes the whole issue more complicated.
(1)

Is the GMO a negative then, a bad thing, or is it just a matter of opinion?
(0)

There is a bird on my back porch (It's not alive) that is motion activated. It plays a realistic song, very pretty. Reminds me of the parakeets growing up. And the wild parrots that were flying through our area near the L.A. County Arboretum in a flock, making noises. Well, this fake, motion activated parakeet goes off at other times too-when there is no motion. Maybe it is coming alive for halloween-but it is creeping me out when it does that-when no one is there, and I am home alone.
I am going to keep it though, because when talking to hubs, I could be at the sink
and he asks a question-thought we were talking-and then he is gone-just disappears-so often and so quickly. But now, when "Budgie" starts to sing, I know hubs went to the back porch. Somehow, that is less frustrating to me to know where he went in the middle of the conversation. Tweet tweet.
(2)

"A hybrid vegetable is created when plant breeders intentionally cross-pollinate two different varieties of a plant, aiming to produce an offspring, or hybrid, that contains the best traits of each of the parents."
"GMO plants, on the other hand, are the result of genetic engineering. This is a process during which the plant’s DNA is altered in a way that cannot occur naturally, and sometimes includes the insertion of genes from other species."
(2)

Churchmouse,
Fortunately I cannot even read the labels on seed packets, that excuse could hold up in a court of law-"I didn't read it." Which is why I have yet to find seeds for growing alfalfa sprouts-hubs had to look for me! Got to get my eyes checked.

Cwillie, It now appears that Organic farmers would disagree-nothing sinister there-but your words were comforting to me anyway. I don't know what to believe anymore.
(0)

I think one was a ceanothus, and the other might have been a daphne. Monsanto hadn't occurred to me, but if it wasn't them it might have been some other corporate evil genius.

But when it comes to retailing to the average amateur gardener, they're being rather naive - ironically enough. What on earth makes them think we necessarily read the care labels???
(2)

CM, I suspect you've seen a plant created by the infamous Monsanto, a dirty word to organic gardeners. It's a new version of the despised colonialism - it's an agricultural colonial power.

Naomi Klein's book Shock Doctrine addresses the method by which companies like Monsanto and other powerful companies get a foothold in what at one time were referred to as Third World Countries, with the help of the US government's aid programs after disasters.

Google "Monsanto, Iraq" and read the blurb that's the first hit. It and others address how Monsanto wormed its way into being a literal sole source supplier of seeds to Iraqi farmers. Gives new meaning to American actions in Iraq.

I would bet dollars to donuts any twig you tried to root from a Monsanto plant wouldn't be anything like the original plant. I''m sure Monsanto's scientists are devoted to ensuring that doesn't happen.

That's one of the reasons gardeners are adamant about using heirloom varieties and seeds from their own stock, not to mention the whole controversy about GMOs.
(2)

Speaking of propagation, has anyone else noticed the odd label on plants saying "propagation prohibited" - presumably under some kind of intellectual property law?

I have to say that as far as I'm concerned it's a bit of a red rag to a bull, though. I mean, "catch me if you can" - how's it my fault if I cut a twig or two and they just happen to root?
(2)

SendMe, savings seeds is de rigeur with organic and serious gardeners. Seed swaps are common; gardeners post their lists of available and desired seeds on gardening forums and connect with others.

Some people have over a few dozen lists of seeds to swap.

You'll also find a lot of information on saving heirloom seeds, that produce crops that are true to the originals, as opposed to the hybrids (which some gardeners shun b/c they've been manipulated to produce crops with specific characteristics).

If you don't know how to save seed from a particular vegetable or fruit, post your question on a gardening forum and you'll get a lot of answers.

There are seed savers exchanges, as well as heirloom seed companies.

Amy Goldman is a famous seed saver and grower of unusual and heirloom vegetable varieties. She's appeared on The Victory Garden several times, and is quite a delightful person.

Search for Amy Goldman Fowler and check out her website.
(1)

SharynMarie,
Always post more, others come here for therapy, ya know! And if there wasn't any bloomin posts about flowers blooming, well then, that would just be sad.
People would be falling asleep in their outhouses, no, I mean their hothouse, waiting for something to bloom.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, is it a flower yet? Lol.
(2)

Linda22,
Thank you for the info on seeds, a ways back. That was appreciated, and I was sure I said something, but don't see it here.
So, thanks!
(0)

One more post, I promise, lol!!! My orchid is (I think) growing out a blooming stem. This is awesome as it confirms I am providing g the right conditions for a hard to grow air plant. I will keep you posted as to whether it is a blooming stem of another air root.
(2)

The bare root rhizome irises I planted are from bulbs that have developed a root system and probably grew and bloomed one season...GA may have more input on this....but this is what I am currently understanding.
(0)

Just a little info from the net on rhizomes and bulbs, for those interested.

Rhizomes grow horizontally and form roots from its bottom while shooting out leaves on the top. Buds form at different parts along the structure, not necessarily at the top. Examples of rhizomes are Canna Lilies and Calla Lilies. Calla Lily Rhizome

Bulb

A bulb is comprised of a plant's stem and leaves. The bottom of the bulb is a compacted stem and roots grow from this part of the bulb. Layers of nutrient-filled leaves sit at the bottom of the bulb and surround a bud that eventually becomes the flower. Examples of bulbs are Tulips, Lilies and Daffodils.
(0)

Send, You could do tomatoes that way. I have germinated tomato seeds by placing them in moist paper towels, checking on them and adding moisture when necessary. I don't think seeds from marigolds and coneflowers would do well.

When I worked with tomatoes, we saved seeds for research from the hybrid tomatoes we made. The seeds where cleaned , dried and sent to Australia (their growing season is opposite of ours). They would germinate the seeds, grow them out to maturity for testing on different disease resistance. It would take up to 8 years before the seeds from this years crop was available to growers.
(2)

Seems straight to me Send! zzzzzzz.............Oh, so sorry, nodded off again.
(1)

Gershun, a Whenever I see a line of zzzz's, it just doesnt look straight to me.
Do you think my row of peas are planted straight?
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPz?
(0)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............oops, sorry I nodded off.
(1)

Not a dumb question send. I think they died but will know in the spring if I have any of them return. I did not dig them up.
(1)

SharynMarie, Hoping this is not a really dumb question, but bulbs are good replanted from year to year? The ones that were planted too close together-would they still be good planted the next year, or are they dead?
(1)

Cwillie, Your explanation about the seeds helped me-because one cannot believe everything on the internet. So, for you to say 'nothing sinister there' has calmed my gardening worries for today. I have a glass jar with holes in the plastic lids, was a gift from my sister to grow alfalfa sprouts indoors. I could never find the seeds for that. Can anyone recommend a seed to put in there? Apparently, the seeds get put in a little water, then the water is replaced as they grow.
(0)

Yup, with some plants it is just better to buy hybrids but they won't work for seed saving, nothing sinister there, just good old fashioned plant breeding for desirable traits. The seed companies that supply farms mostly stock plants with the characteristics that farmers need - uniformity, storability and the ability to hold quality when transported long distances - often at the cost of flavour IMO.
(1)

Send, these irises I ordered back in January. One is from Breckenridge, the other 6 are from an iris farm here in Cali. They are bare root rhizomes.

The bulbs I planted last year did not work out. I planted them too close together. I am excited with the new irises as they are doing well and I should have some nice blooms next spring.

Seeding can be fun. I use to save seeds but just don't have time to follow through on it now. Happy seed saving and autumn gardening everyone.
(3)

Send, it's trial and error with seed saving. Some of the hybrids don't grow true to the hybrid. I try to get seeds that are open pollinated. If something grew as a volunteer in my garden, then the seeds get saved. As the seed companies get bought out, more and more are owned by the big companies like Bayer and Monsanto. I've stopped buying from places like Burpees and gone to small indie growers. The exception is tomatoes. I buy the plants from a local nursery that grows their own stock. I get the hybrids that are more disease resistant because they work better in my garden. I save the dry seeds in 4 oz. canning jars in the fridge. I have a friend who plants seeds from grocery store produce and has some good success.
(2)

Thanks Linda, seed saving is a good idea.
However, way beyond my pay grade and time-wise right now. Tried to save some pumpkin seeds a year ago. I understand that somehow, certain seeds are engineered to not grow due to monopoly interests of seed companies, but not sure. Maybe not grow a second time? I don't know. But if one buys an engineered tomato, saving the seeds is useless.
Guess if something is growing in your garden, saving those seeds might work.
(0)

Send, Cadillac Desert is an excellent book about water in the West. Life stuff had me totally neglecting the garden for about 6 weeks. So it's weedy and fading fast. The basil is still perky, which surprises me. I'm going to glean what produce is left and start yanking plant matter soon. And time for some good seed saving.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter