Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
With your leave, I've just pinched it for the attention of English teacher daughter. Beats Keats into a cocked hat if you ask me.
(1)

That is absolutely gorgeous, CW - an American Rabbie Burns!

The rooster's hallylooyer. Love it! What's the date of it, please?
(0)

You've had me spending the morning reading poetry Send, here's one that caught my fancy, and seems to fit this thread:

When the Frost is on the Punkin

By James Whitcomb Riley

When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock,
And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin’ turkey-cock,
And the clackin’ of the guineys, and the cluckin’ of the hens,
And the rooster’s hallylooyer as he tiptoes on the fence;
O, it’s then’s the times a feller is a-feelin’ at his best,
With the risin’ sun to greet him from a night of peaceful rest,
As he leaves the house, bareheaded, and goes out to feed the stock,
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock.

They’s something kindo’ harty-like about the atmusfere
When the heat of summer’s over and the coolin’ fall is here—
Of course we miss the flowers, and the blossums on the trees,
And the mumble of the hummin’-birds and buzzin’ of the bees;
But the air’s so appetizin’; and the landscape through the haze
Of a crisp and sunny morning of the airly autumn days
Is a pictur’ that no painter has the colorin’ to mock—
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock.

The husky, rusty russel of the tossels of the corn,
And the raspin’ of the tangled leaves, as golden as the morn;
The stubble in the furries—kindo’ lonesome-like, but still
A-preachin’ sermuns to us of the barns they growed to fill;
The strawstack in the medder, and the reaper in the shed;
The hosses in theyr stalls below—the clover over-head!—
O, it sets my hart a-clickin’ like the tickin’ of a clock,
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock!

Then your apples all is gethered, and the ones a feller keeps
Is poured around the celler-floor in red and yeller heaps;
And your cider-makin’ ’s over, and your wimmern-folks is through
With their mince and apple-butter, and theyr souse and saussage, too! ...
I don’t know how to tell it—but ef sich a thing could be
As the Angels wantin’ boardin’, and they’d call around on me—
I’d want to ’commodate ’em—all the whole-indurin’ flock—
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock!
(1)

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.

-Robert Frost (1857-1963)

Thank you Garden Artist for this special thread!
(3)

I too love cottage gardens and am in literal heaven now dreaming of gardens since I discovered an English gardening magazine. The photos are stunning.

This discovery reminded me of how much I miss Borders; I could get literally any magazine there. It was such a treasure house of reading materials.
(3)

Hollyhocks, I love them. I see them around in cottage type gardens with cosmos.
(2)

Send, the Chinese Lantern plants aren't invasive in my yard, but the cucumber beetles are, and they wiped out more than a few plants before I realized the Lanterns were attracting them.

What have become invasive are the Vinca Minors, but they're checked by the Virginia Creepers, which are also checked by a plant I can't identify. The stalk and leaves are something like Lunaria, but the flowers are white and different shaped. They spread prolifically, as do those absolutely miserable attacking plants of Black Locusts.

Those rapidly spreading monsters are like something from a science fiction movie. The thorns are sharp, close together and it's hard to handle them to cut them down and get rid of them. Of course, they come from the yard of someone who gets angry b/c my grapevines grow up on the fence on the common property line. But he won't cut down an invasive species tree.

Chinese lanterns over the years migrated up to the house, so they're far away from the garden, and hopefully stay that way.

However, over the years I've discovered that something which I can't identify is nibbling on the herbs and feeds regularly on the applemint and lemon balm.

CWillie, I think the beetles are the reason gardeners stopped planting Chinese Lanterns, although it might just be that they fell "out of favor". I think some of the "Proven Winners" are marketed so heavily that more people are buying them. Wave petunias also seem to be popular.

Other than dedicated gardeners, I don't see much about people planting the old garden favorites either - plants such as hollyhocks, which we had as children in our gardens.

CM - carefully speaking Physalis - you're a riot!
(1)

Physalis, CW; and you want to say that very carefully if you're asking at the garden centre for it.

I grew some of the annual type for fruit a couple of years back, and pretty successfully - they germinate like billy-o, but what nobody warns you about is how enormous the plants get.

And my neighbours tell me that the landlords fought a running battle with one of the perennial monsters and got rid of it. Umm, not quite they didn't - it's back, like Arnie, in a corner against a south-facing wall.
(2)

I can remember everyone planting chinese lanterns back in the 70's? as ornamental plants, I've been wondering you don't see them at all anymore.
(0)

GA,
Are all the chinese lantern plants "invasive"?
I have seen something similar, looking at online photos, what a perfect plant for fall!
(0)

I discovered a Chinese lantern plant growing close to the house; it's loaded with blooms, although some have already dried and fallen off. I may try to save the green lanterns and make wreaths with them. Leaving them on the ground allows more to start, and they attract striped cucumber beetles.

Also discovered some lovely red color in the garden this afternoon, but unfortunately it's not from a desired plant. I think it's a Virginia Creeper. I might pick the leaves for wreaths.
(2)

It’s getting to be that time of year to clean up the flowerbeds readying them for winter. I’m zone 6, basically providing coverage with shredded bark to help protect the roots for perennials. I’ll prune next year after there is no threat of freeze/frost.

Everything I have planted here at our new home, was planted as barefoots for the fall planting. When we moved here the end of June, nurseries were already on clearance sales! Oh my, so different from my zone 9a in the Central Valley of California! I ordered plants online for fall planting.
(1)

Thanks Daughterof1930. Just before winter works for me.
Or just before spring. I can do both, I think. This rose bush was left behind for me from a neighbor years ago.
My husband just snuck over a rusted old tool box, ready for the junk yard, given to him by a neighbor who just moved. We cannot have this outdoors, not allowed. He spent two hours cleaning it up. Somebody please help me! He is a hoarder! We need his time and efforts to go to maintaining what we have, and I am about to break!
Maybe, we can make room on the back porch by removing a few defunct computers, but he says No!

Something good: He found Zink, the skink in the neighbor's driveway. He is okay, but another lizard came out, Zink jumped, and went back into the bushes in our yard.
At least he is safe, still living with us. We have not seen him at all for a long time.

Waiting, waiting, Something is going to get better soon. imo.
(1)

My mother taught me all my gardening knowledge from my childhood on, and one thing I knew well from her was that if a plant but one bloom left on it, she wouldn't, couldn't pull it up! I don't think that's a gardening rule, just something my mom didn't have the heart to do. So now I have to let me annuals fully die out before I pull them, it's just ingrained in me! As for roses, I'm in the South, we cut them back in the winter, but then it rarely snows here, so it's not miserable outside to do it then.
(1)

The most beautiful and prolific gardens have the blooms pulled and discarded as I watch with my heart breaking. I do not do that, and could not bring myself to throw away blooms in the hopes of a better blooming garden LATER. I deadhead my one rose bush but after the blooms die.
Is it now time to cut back the rose bush? I used to ask the neighborhood gardener-he taught me a little-then said that my hubs and I could do our gardening, we didn't need to hire him, just before he was retiring. He passed a few years ago, after teaching me a clean, quiet way to blow the grass cuttings.
So, is this the month? Not sure which number zone I am in, but there are currently no blooms on the plant. Last seen, was a week ago.
(1)

We are having another run of warm weather, which makes it pleasant to be outside cleaning up the garden, but it is hard to pull up annuals that are still in partially in bloom. I've decided to compromise and have left about half for the butterflies to enjoy, but that may mean tidying up after the cold wet weather sets in.
(2)

Cwillie,
Asked my dH about this, because we have purchased electrical at biglots and dollar stores with returns necessary. He thinks Costco sells a better quality, paying a bit more.
But won't that just make the total cost more?
He uses rechargeable batteries, that is his thing, and it must be saving us some money, somewhere.
Our neighbors throw away or give us their dead solar lights when he stops changing their batteries for free, and even then, it is mostly dark all the time if you are using solar.
They are high maintenance products, so we have motion detector lights now, the kind that are not too powerful. They are not too powerful when the batteries wear down, so I am happy he changes the batteries, but he waits until there is no light available left to unlock the front door. We also use a variety of high powered flashlights that can be used as a weapon, but you need to carry them. He has several headband headlights too.
BTW, my favorite is a rope light at the pathway powered on an all night timer.

Let there be light! Or a better light solution.
(1)

Why is it that I can buy a new solar light for my garden at the dollar store, but if I want to replace the batteries in the ones I already have the cheapest I can find are $2 each?
(3)

Thank you everyone. Isn't it just like life that people with dementia or alzheimers have horrible symptoms or behaviors that we hate. But love the person. There are quite a few who have lived nearby, but needed an intervention to live safely and were moved away by their families. Gardening is a good measurement of their observable functioning. When the mail piles up, when a former beautiful yard goes neglected, those are some of the signs that a resident is failing. It is not only a physical inability to garden, but the disinterest in doing something they had loved to do.
(0)

Dear Send,

I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor. Please take care. Glad you are OK now but what a terrible neighbor.
(1)

MsMadge,
Her dog did die several years ago of a neurological problem.
We should move, since the property managers are notorious for being unconcerned.

We all have so much to be vigilant for.
(2)

Send
Do you have a HOA?

I remember years ago, a neighbor used a similar banned substance and ended up poisoning his own dog

I would try to find any city codes for banned substances as well and write an anonymous letter
(2)

Send, I am glad you are ok. GA is right about the type of hospital to get testing. If you have continuous exposure they would be able to test for it. Hang in there you are not crazy.
(1)

I am SO glad you called the poison control center, but please continue to be vigilant. And if you feel the least little bit out of sorts, at least go to an Urgent Care Center.

I can't tell whether you had a reaction to it or not; I checked the symptoms and it's possible you did. But if this woman is irresponsible enough to possibly continue using it, I would consider any bodily sensation out of the ordinary and worth getting checked out.

Thinking of Sharyn's comment, a larger hospital complex, especially a teaching hospital, might be more appropriate than a community or just a regular hospital. There are more resources at these teaching hospitals.

Seriously. DO NOT take any chances.
(2)

The upset, the discovery, the research, the detective work, trying to figure it all out did happen today. The only thing that didn't happen yet is the horrific smell from last year when it was sprayed.
The CDC said it was good I had left the house just then, when the symptoms occured.
Fortunately, a look back on the forum is telltale as to the date of shaking. I think the cure for that was ice cream was suggested, and it worked! (Milk can help somehow, although the CDC guy reading from his little script would not agree)
Guessing I should just accept: Nothing happened, you are seeing things, that is not a sprayer, it is a dust pan, dH says, I am just crazy.
And, just like in the movie, "Gaslight", the lights just dimmed, but it was all in my mind.

Please come and visit me when they lock me away, Lol. ha ha ha, mwah ha.
I dislike the drama in real life.
(3)

Send, if it happened on 9/14 you would have it out of your system now. You didn't swallow it and that is what the symptoms/poisoning comes from.
(1)

Oh, Send I thought it just happened today.
(1)

Don't panic Send, according to my web browsing any side effects are short lived.
(2)

Earliest symptoms could have been 9/14, when I was shaking.
I am calling the poison control center.  

Update:  They know where I live.

Inspite of reading that symptoms can last for months....they said I am ok.  lol.
But they meant, it is not an emergency now.  They do not know if there is a blood test to detct the poison.

Thank you everyone!  Such good ideas!  I feel very supported!
(2)

Diazinon yuck!! There probably is some test for it but finding someone who is willing authorize it may be hard. My dad used that as well as Malathion, not together. I hate chemical sprays. I personally have only used round up a few times. I hope you feel better and I would report them if it were me.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter