Follow
Read More
Susan, you might save yourself some time by using the sun to hear up water in the hose, or in a tub. It won't be boiling, but it'll be hot, especially since we're hitting the mid 90's tomorrow.
(1)

I think I finally killed the majority of the weeds in mom's flowerbed. I'll let the extreme heat coming tomorrow finish scorching the heck out of them and then clean it out. I may not get much planting done in the bed this year (it's kind of late), but I'll put a few annuals in to make it look nice, even out the dirt and put a nice retaining border around it.

I'm sure the neighbors thought I was nuts yesterday - I made no less than 10 trips out the door with my container of boiling water to pour on the weeds. LOL
(2)

A former member of an RV resort, they had black flies.
A trip to a four star hotel, beach at Maui, black flies.
(1)

Pine forests are an especially bad spot for ticks, from what I understand.
(1)

GA, I was up at the bridge over Memorial Day weekend doing a cat transport and the BLACK FLIES were the issue, not the ticks. They were in full-blown hatch mode the day I was there - go figure! Ugh, it was horrible. Even the dog didn't want to be outside the van that day. I got home and immediately showered, because I found some black flies in my ears and in my hair on the way home - gahhhhh - took off my shirt to shower and couldn't figure out what all the black smudges on the back of the shirt were. Yup - black flies. They were so thick in the air that they were clinging to my shirt when I got back in my vehicle and I squished them against the seat when I sat down. Gross!
(2)

Send, from what I've read, ticks are low in the grass in the morning, come up higher during the day and wait for animals to walk by, when they attach themselves to the animals and begin their vampirish activity. They also will attach to humans, and have been increasing in numbers and spreading in the areas of activity.

I've read that they need to be on a human for 24 hours before the toxic diseases they carry are transmitted. But they can be hiding, such as in hair, or cavity recesses. I've read that some backpackers have found them there. (How many people search their navels after a walk?)

I wanted white pants as I've read that they're worn in some highly infested tick areas; white cloths are also used to drag areas to collect and destroy ticks. They stand out against white.

I'm trying to work out a good protective arrangement that's not too heavy and hot or cumbersome for gardening.

I haven't yet read that certain colors attract them; I've read that warmth, i.e., as in a living body (animal or human) are attractions, as they're vampires and are looking for blood sources.

My ghillie suit? I actually forgot about it. You have a good memory! I think since it appears to create an animal like appearance, I might end up collecting all the ticks in the area! Interesting suggestion though.

Hazmat suits could work, but they can be bulky. I suggested white b/c it shows the ticks more easily. Some people tape the base of the legs and sleeves tightly so ticks can't get in. But there's still the face and hair. I guess I'll have to wear a shower cap taped down to keep them out of my hair.

DEET is recommended for open skin and Permethrin for clothing, but I detest the idea of those chemicals on my skin or clothes.

Glad, try to pull off one of the stems of the berries; they're greenish, about 1/4 inch long and hard to remove. Raspberries kind of roll off, very easily. Makes them good for sustenance as you're working through a raspberry patch on a hot day.

Purplish splotches on pavement are an indication that something is enjoying mulberries and randomly "fertilizing" whatever is underneath their flight path.

The birds, and raccoons, love the berries and are like Johnny Apple Seed in their propagation efforts.
(2)

GA I think they are mulberries. They are oblongish and getting bigger and some are turning quite purple. There are bunches of them. Last year a crop but birds were quick to make sure they got them all. This year? Too many berries for even the birds.
(1)

GA,
Stores already have hazmat suits, or at least construction suits in many sizes. Stores like Lowes, Home Depot, or maybe equipment rental stores.

Doesn't certain colors attract ticks?

Whatever have you done with that "gilley suit" of yours?
(0)

I've just been reading on an outdoor forum the issue of tick expansion into more populated areas, including Michigan. Apparently the West Coast of Michigan, and especially the beach areas, wooded areas and areas bordered on wooded areas, especially with deer populations, are seeing an "explosion" of ticks.

I'm wondering if any of our friends here in Michigan, W. Michigan and other areas are seeing ticks in their areas, especially in their gardens?

I'm going to have to make a set of white gardening suits so I can spot ticks more easily if this trend continues. The bloody things creep me out. I envision myself going out in the garden all covered up, like an astronaut. I've read of folks who's found them in very personal areas. Sounds like they migrate to the warm and protected body parts.
(2)

Glad, the raspberry bushes are something like inverted umbrellas. Depending on whether or not they're pinched back, the canes can start at the base, or branch off from other canes. Even if the dead ones are cut back at the end of the year or beginning of next, they never grow to be small trees.

Mulberries, on the other hand, are aggressive and vigorous growers (at least the trees are).

What do you think your fruiting bush/tree is?
(1)

One is a tree the other is more of a very large bush, probably lower branches just not cut. Another mystery solved GA, you are good! Spread some grass seed a few weeks ago, good quality seed, weed free. Grass is coming up, but everywhere something quite leafy, New plants, wonder if they are mulberries. I will be good to get my own yard going, then will be able to I'd most everything! I am mostly going to give up on the weeding this year, start weeding lot instead. Time spent for my benefit. Here? Just keep the frigging weeds cut.
(0)

Blackberries are turning and mulberries too.

We used raw eggs in the ice cream we churned as a kid.

I see everyone has been garden bathing :)
(1)

My mulberries can get to be about 5/8" long, if the birds don't get them first. Smaller ones are usually on smaller or less productive trees.

The raccoons and birds love them and liberally decorate paved areas when mulberries are in season.

Dad liked them, so I baked mulberry pies for him. Cutting the stems off is a real nuisance though; they don't pull out easily.

Are your berries "lumpy" like blackberries? Slightly oblong shaped? I'm wondering if a berry less than 1/4" is something other than a mulberry. They're on a tree, not a bramble bush, right?

Unfortunately, they are very aggressive growers, and with propagation by hungry critters, I find them sprouting all over the yard. They're invasive, and hard to get rid of. I finally found a good way to kill them by letting morning glories grow up the bark, or stripping the bark all the way down to just below the soil, and doing this just before winter so the bare trunk is exposed to freezing weather.

I'm wondering if your bushes are raspberries? Mine usually fruit around July or mid July, weather depending. Raspberries grow from canes, and on the new growth. Mulberries in my yard grow on trees, but I can't remember if they're on new or old growth.
(1)

I used raw eggs in ice cream I used to make. The recipe also used condensed milk. It was so very yummy.

How big do mulberries get? I have a couple of trees/ bushes I think it is mulberry anyway. Both are absolutely loaded with fruit just starting to get red. But they are so tiny, maybe a bit longer than a quarter of an inch. I cannot imagine picking these tiny berries to use for anything. But the birds are sure enjoying them! 🍇🐦
(0)

I'm beginning to remember... I think Dad used raw eggs for our home made ice cream as well.

I love lambs ears; they're so soft and cuddly. And hydrangeas....along with peonies and irises, they're queens of the garden. I plan to redo part of my front yard and fill it with hydrangeas. Only concern is how they'll handle direct Westerly winds in the winter.
(1)

Homemade ice cream yum! I’ll probably freak all of you out by sharing that I make what we’ve termed “walking on the wild side” vanilla because I don’t like the cooked kind of homemade so I go old school and use raw eggs. We walk on the wild side by risking the salmonella but so far so good and the ice cream is delicious. My, now adult, kids love it, and when they have the other kind somewhere they never like it as well so they’re all in favor of raw eggs. Just typing this has me craving some!
As for gardening, my lambs ears have hugely multiplied, hydrangeas are blooming beautifully, and portulacas are especially pretty this year.
(1)

Becky, good for your husband. It is so important to get face time with your children. They will benefit their entire lives from that quality time.
(1)

GA, neck issues make the cranking painful, so I don't miss it.

Yes I have water out for the birds and bees, I think they are hibernating while it is so hot. I see humming birds early in the am, so hopefully I am just missing them. I do dislike wasting water, so if I don't see fruits setting soon I will be looking forward to my fall garden and just laze by the pool.
(0)

My husband is very old school. No hand held devices at the table. No TV’s on, etc. kids don’t seem to mind the rule. His doctor breaks the rule when he’s on call. Not feeling very well. I think I walked too much this morning.
(0)

Eating together around a table?? It seems more likely everyone will load their plates and head off in separate directions - one to their gaming system, another to watch Netflix, another to text a friend etc

What drives me crazy is when I see all the parents with young kids staring at their phones instead of watching or interacting with their kids. I've seen parents on the phone while pushing a little one on the swing, "supervising" the kids on the climbers at the park, pushing the stroller down the street, eating at McD's ...
(2)

I think some of these old bonding activities help create family cohesiveness. Today, sitting around at a table when almost everyone is playing with a smart phone or tablet (and occasionally eating) just doesn't create bonding experiences.

I'm guessing there will be an explosive need for psychological intervention when today's youngsters grow up...unless by that time people aren't communicating at all except by battery operated devices.

I envision an evening meal...instead of "please pass the potatoes", some will text whoever is closest to the potatoes and ask electronically for some potatoes.

I often wonder if a few hundred years from now humans will have lost their capacity to speak.

And while climate change is occurring (even though some deny it), we're relying more on batteries that need to be charged and disposed of, as well as e-devices that create e-waste.
(1)

Cantaloupes are thriving. Wild black eyed susans are in abundance.
We use to make homemade ice cream all the time as a kid. Cranking away. nothing like it. good times
(2)

AW, ReallyReal, don't you miss the cranking and all the arm exercise you get?

Seriously, that was such a bonding issue for us, so nice to get together on a cold winte day with each of us kids helping and Mom and Dad guiding us. I miss those days.

Triple digits - yuck...hard on people, animals, and probably pollinators. Maybe the pollinators are hiding somewhere cool. Do you have bird baths or a water source for them?

I've designed a pollinator garden in the shape of a butterfly. Hopefully I can get it dug up and planted before fall.
(0)

GA, my kitchen aid ice cream maker is so much easier, not as much fun but not as much work.

We are already 2 weeks into the triple digits, not seeing any pollinators, hopefully I can get a few garden items. Great time to work on building compost piles.
(1)

ReallyReal, I guess we could add ice cream and make it RIICCE. We've having a discussion on home made ice cream on another forum I visit and I'm beginning to have to resist finding an old fashioned ice cream maker with a hand crank, sitting outside with a glass of lemonade, and just enjoying summer.

Perhaps a few butterflies will come and visit by stopping on my hand for a moment, or the local cats or even rabbits would come by and make it a perfect summer day.
(1)

Is that Ice cream? Cuz I could stick with that kind of therapy😊
(1)

Make it RICCE and you've got the essential element for healing: Rice, Ice, Compression, Chocolate, and Elevation.
(5)

Then there is RICE THERAPY for orthopedic injuries. Many doc's say it and just assume we all know what it is. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation and protect the injured or sore area.
(2)

I'd *love* to use bulbs, but I have squirrels that I *know* would dig them up and eat them.

The flower bed got absolutely no attention today - this was a "face in the computer working all day" kind of day.
(1)

The only bubs I ended up using in my last house were daffodils because everything else was dug up and eaten Any brave one that bloomed got it's flowers eaten.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter