Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Garden, hugs! If you want wellies, you get wellies - don't let my rudeness put you off :) I expect Gertrude Jekyll had dozens of pairs.

MsMadge are these plants your neighbour is fond of, or rogue self-seeders that have invaded the blocks? And who is responsible for the upkeep of that boundary wall, you or him?
(0)

Uggh
The heat has now turned everything brown overnight

I mentioned to the neighbor tonight that we'd need to do something - plants on his driveway are breaking the cement block wall on the property line

He didn't seem to think it was a problem
(0)

I used to have visions of English gardens when I read Rosamunde Pilcher novels. Always wanted one. There a beautiful English style garden at the Rockefeller estate on Mt. Desert and at Bird’s Acre in Ellsworth.
(2)

I think I've gone down the wrong path. I thought that Wellies were used by most English gardeners, part of that natural English savvy for beautiful cottage gardens.

I guess I need to rethink this, and revisit this thread to answer all the good advice.
(2)

I have same type boot from LL Bean. I have a pair old green ones. Newer pair that are school bus yellow with navy whales. We have a big box in the garage of old ones mostly men’s and kids. They’re great for mud season here.
(2)

Wellies n US check Murdoch's.
(0)

John Lewis deliver to the US for £10. I don't know what import duties might apply? Their range goes from £12 for children's standards (up to a size 8, which should be all right for most ladies?) to £105 (you see what I mean!) for Hunter Original Long Gloss style. They also stock a rather cute one with a bee pattern on a black background by Joules, mid-price at 5p change from a fifty pound note, which I'd be quite tempted by if I ever do something daft like stick a garden fork through mine - not impossible...

You could also look at the RHS, or the equivalent US gardening societies? For really serious gardening, you probably do want some of the bells and whistles like reinforced toes.
(0)

GA, whatever is this obsession with wellies?! Goodness, I hope you're not going to be savagely disappointed when you get them...

I've been meaning to explain about mine for a while, I'm sorry I didn't get round to it earlier. I do indeed have one remaining pair (through the family years, they go into the shed and multiply, usually in odd sizes and with children's names crossed out and re-marked in descending age order). I can't remember which celeb or minor royal was responsible for starting the fashion flare-up, but the last straw for me came when mid-teens Daughter 1 demanded a pair of Hunters to take to a music festival.

You have to keep in mind that wellies are salad-simple black or green rubber boots, high calf length, with a good stout tread to the sole, and that's it. There is *nothing* to them. They are part of every school uniform, like navy blue knickers and a duffel coat used to be. Utility is the name of the game.

Hunters, with the real logo and the exact correct style and everything: I can't remember what outrageous price was being asked but I do remember that my head swam and there were tears before bedtime.

I was a mother with a heart of stone. D1 was given two options: her brother's old ones, or wet feet.

Disaster. Her life was ruined. She would not be able to go to Bestival. How could I - !!!? Didn't I UNDERSTAND - ?!!!

She had a lovely time and came back with about three hundred pounds of drying mud coating her and all her possessions. I don't think even Hunter wellies could have made much difference. Perhaps you get a better class of mud stuck to them, I really couldn't say.

Anyway. Mainly for nostalgia, I still have one pair in the gardening shed, no brand that I'm aware of, almost certainly came from John Lewis. They are two sizes too big, but since two pairs of socks are essential in any weather when you'd really need them that is a good thing. I usually remember them just after I have sunk ankle deep in whichever flowerbed I am digging.
(1)

Plastic/rubber wellies not for me seems they would get way too hot and sweaty.
(0)

Way too hot where I live for gardening in boots, though it does sound nice...
(1)

Wellies? You mean rubber boots? I used to wear my boots until my sister said they were embarrassing - they are a farm yard staple (also known as manure or barn boots). They're great in wet and muddy weather and can easily be slipped off and on over bare feet if they have a cloth liner or with socks if none, and you can put in an insole in cold weather.
(1)

Glad and Daughter, I want to answer your comments but have a question right now for all gardeners:

Wellingtons: Do you garden in Wellies? I promised to treat myself with a pair of Wellies, and I'm ready to look.

Are shoes typically worn in them or are they worn like shoes? Should they have snaps to close the tops (I'm thinking of keeping out unwanted insects)?

If you've bought Wellies here in the US, did you buy from a gardener's supply store, or regular clothing store? I've found a few - LL Bean, Target, but I doubt if the supply is as varied as it would be from a gardening store.

Any other advice on these quintessential British gardening staples? (I want to be another Vita Sackville West or Gertrude Jekyll!)
(0)

Friend brought me a vase of beautiful deep pink hydrangeas from her garden. A colleague from work brought me a large gloxenia that is in full bloom. Not my garden, but ar least some plants and color in my room. Plus I have a view of the hospitals garden which is in full bloom - kind of an English garden with stone paths and good fragrances.
(0)

GA, you’ve got some real yard nazis on your hands, bored people with nothing better to do than obsess about other people’s yards! We lived in TX for a few years, they pride themselves on no zoning, which then gives real power to neighborhood HOA’s. I got cited there for an “unauthorized flowerbed” because I didn’t submit the dimensions and a plant list before breaking ground. Also for an “illegal pool” for my children’s plastic wading pool left in the yard one hot afternoon. Some people need to experience a real problem, then they’d have less to complain about...
(5)

GA, strange that the city would have so much time, money and staff to monitor people's yards. Absurd! Is it City Code or neighborhood covenants? Covenants can be downright crazy, the neighborhood I am building has covenants, yet in a rural area. They are much more lenient that covenants in the City. The neighborhood was my only choice if I wanted water and sewer system as opposed to well and septic. I have never had well and septic and am too old at this point to even want to think about it.
(2)

Welcome back, Becky
(2)

Becky, thanks for sharing the good news! I understand you're going to another hospital for continued care, then home. I hope your recovery is as peaceful, healthful and quick as well as safe as it can be.

CW, the story of mulch in my city....

I was initially cited for having 3 cement blocks in my yard; I set seedlings and cuttings on them. Reason for citation: cement blocks attract rats. (Huh??? )

I used bricks in my landscaping; some were piled up as I gradually moved them into the garden. I was cited for that; same reason as for cement blocks. I didn't know rats could lift bricks and build rodent dwellings with them. I'll have to find out how they do that; bricks were always heavy for me. For an animal with a fraction of the weight and strength, they must have super powers. Maybe they're Superman rats?

I was cited for having grass clippings drying on the ground; same reason.

I was cited for having a pile of wood chips from trees cut down; gradually I was using them as mulch. Same reason. Maybe rats are natural woodworkers? I could have had them build some trellises for me if they were handy. May as well put them to work.

I have concluded that the most rats are in the city hall; that's why someone is so worried about them. In about 39 years, I've seen many birds, squirrels of 3 varieties, raccoons, an opossum, hawks, some large birds I thought were predatory (maybe some kind of vulture?) and most recently a deer. Never any rats (the 4 legged kind).

I'm convinced one of the city officials, and possibly a second, are of the 2 legged variety. Two were even caught embezzling, to the tune of almost $.5M. The first incident occurred over a 4 year period.

Perhaps the officials were more concerned about the green grass than the green money, and had not monitoring system in place to detect the embezzlement.

When I dug my garden, I did add a lot to the soil, compost, coffee grounds, dried vegetation (before code enforcement found I was drying foliage to compost), and that made a major difference. My soil was so fertile; I was so proud of my garden.

After the citations, I began composting in situ, freezing the compost then burying it and redesigning the garden so that a buried treasure could benefit the plants all around.

But you're right; tilth improvement worked, more than I expected. The plants in the buried treasure area were stronger and survived droughts much better than those that had previously been mulched (before it was banned). That was a major discovery, and decreased the need to water.

So from then on, I composted in situ. Since the alleged discovery of more rats, and since a realtor told me that rats have been using the freeways for the same purpose humans do, I realize that freeways are conduits for animal travel, so I'm not comfortable burying compost any more.

My long term plan though is to "get out of Dodge." Once I get Dad's house sold and his Trust settled, I can focus on mine. I want to live in a more rural area. Beyond the issue of obsessed scrutiny of private yards, there's a traffic problem that's accelerated but the police just ignore it. I haven't been able to open windows on the street side for years b/c of the smell from auto exhaust at rush hour times.

In the meantime, I've designed a hidden compost plan and hope to implement that later this year, when I can be outside for more than a few minutes before dissolving into a perspiring garden fixture.

Thanks for the insight; I appreciate the assessment and evaluation - it's a tough situation when the code enforcement people are so aggressive. Tax dollars at work I guess.
(3)

GA I've been thinking about your problem with not being allowed to mulch (what the heck?). I think the only way to get around that is to work on improving the tilth of your soil by incorporating lots of organic matter. And if you work can the grass clippings, shredded bark etc into the soil it's not technically mulch, is it 😉
(0)

(((HUGS))) Becky. It is good to hear from you, you have had us worried.
(1)

Worms like smashed eggshells too.

I think the tide has turned. Long recovery for me ahead, but at least I’m not drugged to the point of not being able to think. I’ve sent my brother, son and PJ home; they no longer a need to hover.
(3)

CM, interesting observations. I think you're right; those two must have been the "fetch and carry" brigade. Imagine how many trips they must have had to make in this heat!

I like to watch the honey and the bumble bees as they go from flower to flower. They're so focused, so determined. No dawdling for them.

CW, we're drying out as well, but gladly the lawn is getting the worst of it. Less mowing for me. I have some Asiatic lilies blooming, but I think that'll end quickly when the next heat wave moves in on Monday.

Anyone have any good suggestions for keeping the soil damp when the city believes that any kind of mulch attracts unwelcome rodents? I can't use wood chips, straw, hay or dried grass. I don't want expensive nugget mulch; not only is it too expensive but I don't think it really adds much to the soil.

The odd thing though is that all the volunteers in the garden are thriving. I added so much when I created it that it's probably the healthiest place in the yard - the weeds are very happy there.

I need to get some coffee grounds from Starbucks to feed the worms; they must be hungry and dry in this heat.

Mom's recipes were like that as well.
(1)

We had a cold front go through yesterday so the temperature is supposed to be lower for the next couple of days. I'm so disappointed that the rain along the front mostly missed us, we had one delightful shower but when I checked my gauge it barely registered. I think I'd better put the hose under my little redbud tree - I don't want to think about the next water bill.

On the positive side - I've got a tiny batch, (a jar and a bit) of bread and butter pickles in my fridge, if I get enough cukes the next batch will be dill chips. I couldn't find my mom's recipe at all and my grandmother's included things like "salt to taste" and "vinegar to cover", so I scoured the internet and blended the recipes together into something I hope will taste OK.
(2)

I have been out observing wasp behaviour.

There are always one or two at the bird bath. Since they aren't bothering me, I decided not to bother them (with a hose, for example) and settled down to see what they're up to instead.

They land on the bird bath's rim, creep down to the water's edge, and then sit there for ages waggling their bottoms. Then off they go, always in the same direction.

I have concluded that this must be the nest's water-fetching detail. I'm not sure if it'll be a popular duty or not, or if they rotate in a kind of relay; I suppose I could squirt them with spray paint or something to check up on individuals but a) that's quite a lot of trouble to go to and b) they really might not like it. The one I just had my eye on was so full it wobbled around in flight and had to sit on a leaf for a moment to get its breath back before it headed off again.

I bet they wish they had buckets.
(2)

GA,
Most always, my comments do not post.
What is a fake poster?
Am I outta the loop?

My garden is looking great!
(1)

Daughter, right now I feel like a wilted flower- it's so hot here! Thanks for the kind comment though.
(1)

Nothing fake about you GA! You’re our blooming leader!
(2)

This is just a test; thus far all my messages have "disappeared" or been deleted before they're even posted. So I'm just checking out my favorite thread to find out if I've become a "fake" poster.
(1)

Right now I have 4 lovely 6" cukes in the fridge and another I've made into salad. I expect insects and disease (not to mention those pesky squirrels) to strike at any minute so I'm not too worried about using up the largess.
(2)

I could let you have Evelyn Rose's if you like? She does a super sweet-and-sour salad, as well - one of those dishes where every time you go into the kitchen somebody's got their head stuck in the fridge, having a quick nosh of the leftovers.
(0)

The problem with making pickles is I've never found a recipe I actually like. When I was young I wouldn't touch anything but my mom's dill pickles, now, not so much. And I've tried a myriad of recipes over the years. I do remember liking her bread and butter pickles though. Hm.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter