Follow
Read More
Way too early for Boise, they will still have significant storms. A bit of warm weather will confuse the vegetation, but they will be brought out of the dream in the next few weeks. Then snow and ice will impact the new sprouts and such occuring, then they have a bit to recover.
(1)

Spring is showing its appearance in the Boise Idaho area. Rose bushes have small leaf budding appearing.
(1)

One of the benefits of winter is seeing which little critters come to visit.

This morning I saw small prints, very close together, which I think might have been one of the cats cautiously walking from next door across my yard to better hunting grounds on the other side of my house.

There were also larger prints with the first two of each set being perhaps a few inches long, then one double print in back. The tracks were sometimes 3 - 4 feet apart. I'm guessing a rabbit in a hurry.

Then there are other mystery tracks which have already softened in the very welcome sun, so perhaps I'll never guess what other little critter came to visit this morning or last night.
(4)

Ok, I put the trimmings from the rose bush, just stuck them in the pot next to the mama bush.
(1)

Amazing! Now that I super encouraged my husband to walk outside every morning, he has amazed us both with hand trimming and weeding the yard
and since it is before breakfast, no danger of him digging a hole to China and not being able to stop because he gets hungry and comes inside. The yard looks great, I told him so.
(2)

My mom knew a dutch lady who started all kinds of evergreens from cuttings, I don't know how she did it though! I have had success layering junipers, I have never tried anything else. It seems to me I have read you should take cuttings from evergreens when dormant? We will have to google that one!
(1)

Linda, are you using "starts" that you bought instead of seeds? I recall years ago seeing them in grocery stores but they're not that abundant any more. I could probably find some at garden centers though.

Oh, how I wish I had taken cuttings from my roses years ago! I lost a few David Austins that I just loved.

From now on, whatever I buy is going to be the mother plant and source for cuttings in case the mother plant doesn't make it.

Have you ever taken and rooted cuttings from evergreens? I have some arborvitae and junipers that I want to use as mother plants. Perhaps I should take cuttings when new growth appears in the spring?

Or should I plant the seeds that the evergreens produce? I like to use them for wreath decorations as well.
(0)

It's already shaping up to be an interesting garden year.....I was preoccupied when I was trimming the onion and leeks before planting. Mixed then all up....they're so little, I can't tell one from another. So now I have one big bed of them!

I think I'm going to try rose cuttings this year from a couple really old plants, for sentimental reasons.
(3)

Whateverdoyoumean? Wide awake here, Cwillie! The coming full moon affect has had an affect already. Get more done this way, don't mind losing some sleep when it is so painful anyway. I started exercising while in bed, lol.
Garden and Cwillie, the cuttings and rose slips are way beyond my skill-set. It is only $5 to buy a tiny gift rose in a tiny pot, then be amazed when it grows up.
When I am reading about the cuttings, my mind freezes over. What in the world are they talking about, I wonder.???
(0)

I figure most daffodils are squirrel proof, now tulips are a different story. Of course they may dig them up even if they don't eat them, the nice soft earth where you planted makes it easy for them to plant their nuts, or perhaps your neighbours tulip bulbs lol.
My grandmother was great at starting rose slips, I can't be bothered with roses, most require too much fuss for too short a bloom time. I have started a shoot of my grandmother's red climber though, I won't know if it survived the winter for a couple of months.
PS, nap time soon Sendme??
(1)

Glad, just saw your avatar with the happy day greeting made possible with coffee! I am having my coffee just now. It is just a beautiful, perfect sunny day with birds, warm weather here.
What is Macy doing today?
(0)

Yep, that is what happened-the squirrels re-planted the daffodils! But where, I am wondering!
Sharyn, maybe if daffodils are so good to eat, we should be putting the blooms in salads, yum!
(1)

Gophers ate my daffodils one year, peaky little critters.
(1)

Send, don't forget that you can try to use the rosebush prunings as starts for new bushes, although if the bushes are hybrids, the cuttings might just produce surprises if they in fact survive and do bloom.

As to daffodils, those little critters with the long fluffy tails that jump from tree to tree like to come down into the garden and rearrange bulbs. I've seen squirrels actually digging up the bulbs and found them growing next year where I never planted any.
(1)

Happy gardening Sendme!!
(1)

Sharyn, I was going to prune my one remaining rosebush today too, but I forgot!
I will prune them taller so there will be more!
As far as daffodils go, the bulbs for them might have been cultivated and blown away. They are no where to be seen.
(2)

Gardening Good News!
The bouganvillias are not dead! Little tiny green sprouts after applying miracle grow last week, and watering more, loosening the potting mix (cultivation), shows some exciting changes! That was rewarding, and very therapeutic too! The best part was having my friends talk me through the process. Now, I will be cutting off the dead tops, about 4 inches. Thanks everyone!
(2)

Daffodils are blooming!!! Do you know that when you prune roses for winter, the shorter down you prune them, the larger the roses but fewer, the taller you prune them, the smaller the roses but more of them. It's all a preference of the gardener. Tomorrow is rose pruning day, I prefer more roses!'
(3)

Glad, thanks for the website info. I will check it out.
(1)

Sharyn and anybody considering moving check out city-data website for a cost of living calculator to compare two locations. The site also has every demographic you could dream of, including year around average temps!
(1)

Garden Artist, thank you for helping with the bouganvillias. Did not know one could take cuttings. I will try that.
When we drive into the driveway, I am becoming amazed at how with just a very little time out there the yard is looking very good.
We were both out there, and a few grasshoppers were on the bushes. They eat the plants-there may be a dispute brewing about whether they are beneficial, but yucky. They don't really spit out tobacco, do they? Where did I ever get an idea like that-a cartoon or something?
(2)

Sendme, the Boise, Meridian, Caldwell area is nice. Some snow and yes cold in winter, summers very comparable to the San Jaoquin Valley here in NorCal. Cost of living is much cheaper than California.

Poverty is everywhere, in Idaho, probably in the northern part of the state where they get heavy snow. Boise area is nice.
(1)

It's not a plight Sendme. My gardening philosophy is to only plant what is low maintenence for my lifestyle. I will not use my time to cover plants from harsh sun or frost.

I apply this to everyday life as well.
(2)

Hubby makes fun if I buy mulch or potting mix.
(1)

The bougies are already in their own huge pot. They were overwatered in the last rain. Wouldn't it be exciting to resurrect these plants!
(0)

Ashamed to say, thought they were dead. Last year's mulch was bark. I have some miracle grow pebbles, blue, mix with water. I could try that now.
(0)

Send, what kind of mulch are you using for your bougainvillea to help prevent evaporation? Are you also deep watering through use of holes in the ground to be filled with water?

Is this the bougainvillea that if I remember correctly you thought didn't survive the winter? If it is, you could try 2 things: (a) repot it in a container where it doesn't have to compete with grass or other plants, or (b) take cuttings and root them so if the mother plant fails, you at least have some new offshoots that might survive.
(1)

Truth is, I am discouraged and losing the will to fight through this and move. Maybe I will be forced to accept my plight and wilt/bloom where I am planted.
(0)

We are allowed to water on Friday. (or Tuesdays.)
Tomorrow-watering is relaxing! I will take a look at the dead bouganvilla to see if there is any hope at all. Could not find a receipt to return them-guaranteed for one year!
(0)

Idaho sounds nice! They have lakes up there. My concern would be what I perceived in my reading to be a high population of poverty, for lack of a better word.
When I researched it as a possibilty, it was interesting in that they have an airport. There was something fishy about the airport, I forget what it was.
The area I looked into was Coeur' d' Alene (sp.).?
There is snow, which I would love, however maybe too harsh an environment for me.
Santa Barbara was nice-if I had enuff money. They also have a high population of transients who live there due to the climate is tolerable year round. When then president Clinton visited, the authorities had to round up the homeless and remove them (just for the visit-not help them!). The people there are nice and friendly-all of them. They have beautiful gardens too-and a Museum of natural history-a great place of employment-also with gardens.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter