Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Just did some quick Googling and found a home that seems to exemplify the Eden standards.

edenalt. If the URL is truncated, google Pine Ridge Care and Rehab.

This is a synopsis from the website on the philosophy of Pine Ridge:

Elders and their caregivers spend time daily talking about their lives. (That's assuming they're still able to do so.)

Every summer a camp is hosted for the caregivers' children. The elders pack backpacks with school supplies for the children and extended family of the employees.

Veggies grown in raised beds are used in the daily meals. Residents make such delicacies as apple butter. They make and deliver cookies to the local fire department. (I think this is a wonderful idea!)

Essential oils have been used and found to be effect in increasing appetites and reduction of anxiety.

Nothing is mentioned about bingo games.
(1)

GA, when I first read about Eden homes I thought Eureka!! This is the wave of the future, or at least it should be! If there was a nursing home available near me that was run with Eden principles I would not hesitate to place my mother there.
(2)

Tacy, there are some garden plants that don't mind a little frost. Your onions and potatoes can go in as soon as the ground warms up a bit and is dry enough to work. Broccoli, cabbages, kale etc are all frost tolerant, as are spinach and peas and leaf lettuce. What other plants are you growing this year?
(2)

Tacy, I've never known my area of Michigan to have a frost in May in several decades. The Upper Peninsula might even have frosts in June, but down in my area, May is prime time for planting.

The onion sets would probably be safe now, but I think I'd wait until this cold spell passes. It'll be easier on you too!

Mina, I think the people who own, manage and operate your mother's facility have some really progressive ideas.

Some years ago the Eden Alternative was making news; it advocated a more sensory, personable atmosphere for residents, including gardens. I haven't followed it so I don't know whether it's still in existence. Sometimes good movements like that lose out to profit motives and corporate goals.
(1)

The garden at your mom's ALF sounds wonderful!! I think every hospital and nursing home should have a garden that is accessible to every resident/patient. I picture raised beds and meandering pathways that are wheelchair friendly. Scents would be as important as flowers, and some areas should be set aside to allow residents to actually plant and run their fingers through the soil and sample their veggies. Imagine nectar feeders for hummingbirds and orioles and seed feeders for other birds. Sheltered nooks to sit and rest away from the others.
Years ago I wished that there was a charity that could make that a reality everywhere. Wouldn't it be great to belong to a team that would design and maintain those kinds of natural spaces? And how good for the soul for both the builders and recipients.
(1)

Just read an online article in House Beautiful entitled "Garden Benefits for Dementia Patients". A newly released study from Exeter School of Medicine in UK reviewed 17 scientific studies, concluding that there were significant benefits to dementia patients in NH's who had access to outdoor spaces (primarily reduction in anxiety and agitation, increased calming).

My immediate reaction was...DUH...you had to review 17 studies to reach this scientifically "informed" conclusion?! Then I decided well...I'm happy to see a medical school looking for anything that benefits dementia patients...plus, apparently results of this study will be used in design of new facilities and improvements to existing facilities....so...it's all good...

My own experience is purely "anecdotal". Mom's ALF has the most amazing, large butterfly garden. It's full of beautiful plants, large garden sculptures, huge wind chimes, and, yes, clouds of butterflies! Absolutely one of Mom's (and my) favorite places to hang out. One of Mom's great friends, who visits her frequently and is himself an awesome gardener, has met and befriended the butterfly gardener. She is a very accomplished professional garden designer BUT created and maintains this lovely space on a strictly no pay, voluntary basis....how cool is that?!

One of the last times I was out in the garden w/Mom, I kept pointing out to her the lovely butterflies flitting all over. For whatever reason, light, shadow, older eyesight, slow reaction time, she could never catch sight of a single butterfly. Finally, in frustration, she started laughing and said to me, "Oh....where are all these lovely butterflies? Can't you slow them down so I can see them?!"

Well...since she was laughing when she asked, I think even w/the dementia, Mom knew that was one request I was powerless to deliver for her...lol...but if I were ever to be granted some magical powers, surely that is the first gift I would bestow!
(1)

I have to admit my little town garden was always a couple of weeks ahead of the big garden at my parent's farm. I was often planting hardy things like lettuce as soon as I could scratch a hole on the frozen dirt and harvesting the first tender leaves in May. I used a cold frame I cobbled together out of scrap lumber and plastic and always dreamed of having a hot bed, but I didn't have access to any fresh manure to heat it and I wasn't going to bag and haul it home from the farm in my little hatchback!
Gardening in the town where I live now is proving to be a challenge due to the evil nasty bushy tailed tree rats... I can not tell you how much I hate them! I always got along with the squirrels before now, but these demented creatures dig, gnaw and destroy everything, even plants that are supposedly poisonous to them. My neighbours gave up and sodded their garden and pulled up their raspberries. My only hope would be gardening inside a totally enclosed cage, and I just don't have the money or energy to do it right.
(1)

Good points on knowing your own garden.

I've planted as early as March 5, and would have tried that this year if I'd had the energy and motivation!

We put out tomatoes and peppers and other tender plants on the Memorial Day weekend as well, and don't shelter them other than to harden them off. But the spring crops go in as soon as it appears there won't be any more snow or ice. Some of us put them in anyway and protect them with hoop houses, bales of straw, etc. You know, sometimes we gardeners get a bit crazy about planting as soon as the snow clears!

Sigghh....if only I had a conservatory and greenhouse.

One of the posters on a garden forum I visit posted a link to a UK company that provides some neat portable greenhouses. They're about the size of a piano (height and widthwise), but deeper, with individual doors that open to allow removal and insertion for a portion of the plants. It looks as though they would either sit on a patio, or in a breezeway, or some protected area.

I've been thinking about them since yesterday and wondering how I can build one.

When does your gardening season typically end? I'm wondering if SW Ontario gets lake effect weather that might extend the winter a bit longer.
(0)

Gee, are you that far ahead of us in SW Ontario GA? We traditionally planted most of our garden on the May long weekend, but even then heat loving plants like tomatoes and peppers had to be sheltered. Of course the growing season is longer now than it used to be. I have found that plants started early sometimes struggle and plants started later often surpass them.
I think you have to get to know your own garden soil and micro climate... if the soil is sandy and light it will dry out and warm up earlier than heavy clay, and if your garden is sheltered you can start earlier than if it is wind swept or has a northern exposure.
(0)

BTW, that's not a stupid question at all; it's a critical one which all gardeners face. Some jump the gun and plant early, only to see their little sprouts covered with snow.
(1)

Tacy, most gardeners keep track of the last frost date over the years, but also monitor the weather. In SE Michigan, the last front date can be as early as the end of March but also as late as in mid May, when one year we had a notorious ice storm that knocked out power for several days.

October 15 - 17 is the first frost date by my records.

Onions could be planted now. Are you using onion sets or seeds? I would hold off a few weeks on the potatoes unless you mound them heavily, which is recommended anyway to prevent sun from reaching them. In this cold spell we're having now, I wouldn't plant anything.

I assume you're using seed potatoes, or sprouting your own?
(1)

You can also google planting potatoes (or onions or whatever) in Michigan... lots of advice for your area.
(0)

Tacy, just google last frost dates in Michigan, there are all kinds of maps and statistics!
(0)

After researching and talking with ornamental horticulturists, I decided against corn gluten meal for wed control and went my standard pre-emergent. Bought a new 75ft hose and spray nozzle. Sprayed cobwebs off of the porch and swept the walk way. Making some progress.
(2)

I understand completely. Your question raised the issue in my mind, and I thought briefly about spending what would probably be at least an hour covering up all the crocuses and squills that are in bloom, and decided that I'll just take the chance. I don't even have enough tarps or coverings for them as they're so spread out.

And sometimes a one-time spring frost doesn't even affect the plants and flowers.
(0)

Sigh, I knew the answer was yes, I just didn't want to have to run around trying to cover everything. I think I'll go with overturned flower pots, good thing I hoard stuff like that lol!
(1)

Sharyn, I haven't used corn gluten but remember that there was a pro and con discussion on the gardening forum I visit. It was sometime ago, but I'll see if I can find it and PM the link to you.

CWillie, how exposed are the bulbs, especially the foliage, and/or are they out in the open? I probably would cover them just to be on the safe side. Bushel baskets, empty mayonnaise jars, rose cones, empty container pots or even a "hoop house" would work, but I imagine you already have something in mind - I'm guessing you've had to do this before.

I guess it's a good thing that some of us didn't get our spring gardens all planted.
(0)

Cwillie, Yes!!
(0)

The forecast says it will drop down to -7C tonight, do you think I should cover my budding daffs and hyacinth?
(0)

Has anyone used corn gluten as an organic pre- emergent for weed control? If so, does it have too much nitrogen that might inhibit it flower formation.?
(0)

Try grocers that carry natural and/or organic produce, or even a farmer's market if there are any open in your area. You might also find it at an Asian market.

For a long term supply, grow your own; you can get seeds from catalogues that supply wildflower seeds. Google "wild garlic seeds."
(0)

ive got to find me some wild garlic . its a white flowery bush . some southern people call them ramps . supposedly , the green leaves from this plant are great ground up in homemade brats . i already have the meat for the next batch of brats but im kinda waiting on more sausage casings from the uk .
(0)

Hay thanks for all the great advice, I'll let you know how things turn out.
(0)

You're welcome, and thank YOU for joining and helping to make this thread one of respite and enthusiasm (except for when our gardens are battered by winds, ice and storms.

BTW, spiderwort is also known as Tradescantia, and can be found in other pastel colors.

There are a few ways of staking the stalks, although I don't think it hurts for them to fall over; it actually kind of enhances the spontaneity of their growth habit.

You can use small branches that you either prune or collect from trees; these don't have to be preserved or coated in anything to prevent deterioration or rotting from moisture. Some people use twist-ems to tie to stakes.

There are commercial stakes that you can buy in stores, but I never know what preservatives might be on them, or whether the paint is safe, and given that so many consumer goods come from China and I mix flowers with veggies, I don't want any lead based junk from China in my gardens.

Thin, untreated bamboo stakes could be used, and they'd add a bit of a color compliment to the green stems. Dowels could as well, but they won't last several years without waterproof coating.

I think tomato or peony cages might be a bit too much, but you could buy some wire specifically for garden use and clip enough for stakes.

Years ago I bought some small trellises shaped in small arch forms, like miniature cathedral windows. They're of wrought iron, and I will coat them with something before putting in the garden as I suspect the paint is cheap junk from China. You could create multiple beds, with these trellises hosting and supporting spiderwort plants on both sides of the trellis.

Depending on how much space you have, you could also make little circles and create wattle fences, used in colonial times and still used today. Mine are going to be made from extra twigs and branches that break off from bordering trees and voluntarily adorn the yard. You can either weave the spiderwort stems in one or two of the horizontal branches, just for support, or tie them with twist 'ems or even just thin cloth scraps, such as from old sheets.
(0)

By the way Garden thanks for starting this thread, it's really nice to switch gears a bit and focus on something a fun as gardening. My mother told me all the time I was growing up, " if you don't feel good go dig in the dirt, there is something about getting close to the earth that is healing" I think she is right. Anyway thanks !
(2)

Sharyn, you got it you win the prize. I just looked up a picture of spiderwort and that is what it is.
I have so much of this plant that started out a couple of years ago as just about 2 feet not it has spread to cover about 12 feet of ground. And I find shoots of it in odd placed where the seeds must have landed, like one here one there. It's really a beautiful plant the only problem is that the stalks grow so tall now that they tip over so any suggestions on how to keep that from happening? I do plan on thinning it out this year before it completely takes over the whole flower bed, last year I didn't touch it as it was a bad summer for me health wise, so this year I am going to tackle the growing monster. Thanks everyone for your help now I can read up on how to handle it.
(2)

Well, actually, almost perfectly; when I've grown it, it hasn't reached much over 2 feet, but that could be because of its location.
(1)

Sharyn, I hadn't thought of that but it fits RA's description perfectly.
(0)

Could it be spiderwort?
(2)

Just thinking, there's also perovskia, Russian sage, but I don't believe it spreads as rapidly as Lunaria does. Lunaria is very prolific and is also an explorer; it tests out all areas of my garden.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter