Follow
Read More
Garden, up here in northern MI we got about 6 inches yesterday and are supposed to get another 6 today! Just came in from blowing with the tractor.....
(1)

There was a report on Denver stations that they are in for another blizzard as they had the first part of last week. If people did not watch the entire report they missed the April Fool banner at the end! LOL!
(1)

Forecasters are putting out dire warnings of squalls and heavy system snowfall this afternoon and evening, we shall see what happens. I have an appointment in the city tomorrow morning and of course I have taken off my winter tires already. (sigh)
Aside from the snow it is supposed to get really cold over night... I hope the flowers can take it cause I don't think I want to run around covering them again :(
(0)

Sorry you keep getting winter blasted in Michigan, GardenArtist. The poor little flowers too. Some California poppies won't have their season in Lancaster due to the fluky frost interrupting spring. That is nature happening.
(1)

Ice has now coated the cars, some of the roads, and probably the flowers. I wonder if they'll survive this unexpected winter blast. Any other Michiganders getting winter storm weather as well?
(1)

Awoke to sunshine, thinking I should probably get gas and tune up the lawnmower to get the lawn mowed today or tomorrow as it's already growing rapidly. Weather prediction yesterday was for a chilly but pleasant day.

Then Dad called and said it's snowing! Checked the weather report - weather advisories issued, 1 - 3" this afternoon, winds 30 to 40 mph and gusting. A large band of snow is moving due East across Lake Michigan.

The sun is still shining; it's hard to believe there will be snow on the ground by tonight.

The lawn mower gets a reprieve, at least temporarily.

I just hope all my lovely little flowers survive this little weather event.
(2)

Goodnight Sharyn! I have been to Big Sur, but not recently.
Want to see the poppies out by Palmdale/Lancaster area, soon.
(2)

Send, Big Sur is beautiful. We came across California Poppies yesterday in the Sierra foothills. Very pretty.

We are on a water meter as well. Don't know the cost per CCF as it was on not Lister on our bill.

Happy gardening, good night.
(1)

Hope that was not TMI, but sharing water info helps, I hope.

Tacy, we saw little cut up bits of orange or brown "mulch" when it came out. It looked like it would be dangerous if a dog or cat ate it; have not seen it this year-thinking it did not survive the hot sun, nor would it have survived management's purview-would not be surprised if it was banned, first by management, then by the powers that be in government planning re: landscaping. (especially BPA issues.)
It looked okay at first, then there was none!

Oh, and all our water is fresh run through the water meter. If we want to use grey water, we have to make it grey-hence, capturing the shower water to lug outside.

Glad's purple flowers were identified way back, GA.

end.
(0)

GardenArtist, Does becoming greatly disturbed and in despair over an undone plumbing issue count as patience? It was so awful, I just left Dh alone about it, thinking it was too much for him. His physical therapy has helped him.

We have a visiting owl that if there are any rats, they're gone, no evidence in area of rats. We do have possum, we have seen them, often on the back wall.

This Old House on PBS (or youtube) showed how to install the instant water heaters.

The water levels on our bill in CA are reported 3 CCF. Consumption is 257-260 which is billed @ 3 CCF. $5.22 plus $20/ mo. service charge = $25.52 for water. This used to be about $5-$7/mo.total, but when everyone cut back on water use, they added the fees.
(0)

I'm not aware of any specific prohibition against outdoor clotheslines, but I'm guessing they'd use some of the vague clauses to prohibit them. They're obsessed with anything that looks like "blight", but they're very selective who they target.

The house next door has been vacant for 4 - 5 years; there's ivy growing up the side of the house to the second floor, circulars and junk on the front porch (I call every once in a while to have the porch cleaned off), and more, but through tax defaults, the city now owns the house so it isn't going to spend money on it unless someone complains.

I used to hang my clothes outside all the time; I loved the fresh scent. That is until the next door neighbor got a dog, didn't clean up after it, and well, I decided sanitation prevailed over fresh scent and dried the clothes inside.
(1)

I always thought the locusts are kind of pretty when in bloom ;)

GA, I'm surprised they let you garden there at all, surely veggies attract rats, and flowers and shrubs give rats hiding places.
Are they also the kind of dinosaurs that prohibit outdoor clotheslines??
(1)

CWillie, you are SO right about the benefits of lasagna gardening. It's much easier on the back, is more fossil fuel efficient and is a great way to add biodegradable materials to the soil and enrich them. It's a great method of recycling and energy conservation (i.e., the gardener's energy) as well.

Not on the same subject, but coffee grounds are good for aeration because they attract earthworms, which help aerate the soil as they move to and fro munching on the grounds.

The issue of lasagna gardening and adding other materials is in my area thwarted by ignorant city officials, who see anything like biodegradeable materials as "blight." That concept has been liberally defined to include anything a code enforcement officer thinks shouldn't be in a yard.

I've been cited for using straw as mulch (CE claims it attracts rats), 3 cement blocks as elevation for seedlings while they harden off (again, cement blocks attract rats), grass clippings as compost (guess what? CE claims grass clippings attract rats!) Personally, I think the real rats are in the city municipal building.

And the city even hosts seminars on how to have a great lawn (but not organically). Lawn worship is still a god in this area, one of the reasons why I want to get out.

AS to hard to get rid of species, I think the Black Locust tree and all its dozens of offspring are perhaps the worst. These trees send out seeds like the KGB used to send spies to America - they're all over. The trunks are covered with sharp, spiky needles so you have to wear a couple pairs of gloves to hold onto them while pulling them out.

This year I'm trying morning glories. I found that by letting them grow up around mulberries, they'll kill that also invasive species. Maybe they can do the same for the Black Locusts.
(1)

I have found that the easiest way to turn a lawn into a garden is to forgo tilling altogether and lasagna garden (google it!). For those not familiar with the technique, you cover the grass with a heavy layer of newspaper or cardboard, then layers of compostables and soil. You then plant right into the compost/soil bed and leave what is below to be smothered out. The reason grass is often so hard to get rid of in the garden is that we keep dragging little rootlets around as we till, and each one sprouts. If only I could get the grass in the actual lawn to grow so tenaciously :)
(1)

CWillie, I'm wondering if the daffodils need dividing so they'll bloom next year? Not really sure about this; the biggest problem I had with daffodils was that the squirrels kept moving them around.

Glad, I have the lavender and white violets - they're small, don't seem to cluster much, but they are so sweet and lovely. I've seen recipes for using violets in baked goods but somehow haven't made the bridge from seeing them growing wild to adding them to food.

I did try drying them for use in handmade cards but they didn't dry well.

Linda, I've been playing with designs for red and green lettuce in a formal bed; every year I come up with a few more designs. Maybe this year I'll actually get them planted. I love Romaine.

I'm glad some plants make it easy for gardeners and reseed themselves!

Send, I think starting with a small area of xeriscaped plants is the best way to go; undertaking a larger area could just be too much at one time. And grass is hard to remove. My father had to use a big rototiller on mine, then I double dug it for years before getting it to the tilth level I wanted.

I think it could be fun to redesign your yard with plants with low water needs. Don't recall for sure but I believe I've seen a few fat magazine/books at HD or Lowe's on this issue.

You must have a lot of patience to wait for DH to fix the bathroom faucets.

I've never grown ranunculas so I don't have any insight on why some flowered and others didn't. Were they planted at the same time, same location, same type of soil?

Your suggestion of container plants for Glad's rental home is a good one. Some of the container plantings on city streets are magnificent - massive hybrid sweet potato plants spilling over the sides, petunias or million bells filling out the top - they're beautiful. A few of the cities in this area really use container plants successfully - I know they tend to make me slow down and spend more time looking in the shops, which I guess is one of the intents.
(1)

Catching up on some of the posts I've missed....

Sharyn, thanks for sharing the natural recipe for weed killers. They're so much safer than toxic chemical solutions like Round-Up.

Glad, I'm still trying to figure out what the little purple flowers resembling clover are. Could it actually be some kind of clover?

Send, are the water use levels you write about for watering grass? I don't think they could possibly be for household water use since they're so low. I'm wondering if CA has different levels for household use vs. outdoor use of water, and how they could possibly monitor them?

Maybe this year I'll get around to finding a SAFE barrel for gathering rain. We haven't had as much as usual over the last few years, but any bit helps. Everytime we get a downpour I wish I'd gotten busy and found a safe rain barrel to use. Given that so many consumer goods are made in China, I've hesitated to introduce anything from there into my garden.

I also hate the height length standards for grass. I'm sure the code enforcement people in my area carry rulers with them because they hit someone if the grass is more than 6" high. 6.5" and you get a citation.

It's no wonder the city was almost bankrupt - 5 code enforcement officers for a city of less than 30K population.

CWillie, I remember that using greywater was such a big issue in some areas of the US in the '70s when the oil embargo threatened us and people really had to begin thinking about conserving fuel, as well as other resources. It was somewhat frightening, but it forced a redirection of thought toward conservation and away from wanton use of resources.

Rodale's New Shelter focused on earth sheltered homes, composting toilets, water conservation and more. I really liked the idea of using greywater; so much of it is really just wasted.

I learned on a DIY Forum a few years ago though that some communities have such tight restrictions on it that it's hard to really use it. I think the ideal would be to have a plumbing system that can divert grey water to a rain barrel, or maybe directly to the lawn or garden.

I've been thinking about getting one of the hot water heaters like Europeans use, so that almost instant hot water could be available for showers and dish washing. I remember asking about this on the old DIY Forum, and most of the experienced building and plumbing pros had reserved opinions about the use of these heaters. I don't remember why though.
(2)

Tacy, from what I've read on the gardening forum I've visited more than others, I wouldn't use plastic as a mulch except to warm up the soil and/or kill the weeds.

Solarizing with plastic mulch, either black or clear, has been discussed a bit and there's no clear consensus on whether black or clear is better for killing weeds.

As to mulch, I might use it to warm the soil in the spring, especially for specific spring plants that I wanted to grow before an abrupt warm spell caused them to bolt.

But as a mulch in lieu of leaves or other organic material, I wouldn't use it. Plastic can tear more easily, and becomes a real mess when it does (especially if raccoons are busy shredding it!).

The other issue is that it likely wouldn't be food grade plastic and could contain Bisphenol A (BPA) which is anathema to gardeners whether on the soil or in the plastic (and metal) containers that are used for food (although I've read that the BPA has been decreased in plastic food containers because of its toxicity).

(If you're not familiar with BPA, Mayo Clinic has a good summary of its side effects, as well as the products in which it's frequently found:

mayoclinic/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/bpa/faq-20058331). Assuming part of the URL is truncated, Google bisphenol A and look for the Mayo Clinic link.)
(0)

As in sheets of plastic that you cut holes in for planting? The local pepper farmers use that over raised beds on acres of peppers, I think because clear plastic helps to warm the soil. The one time I tried it I had raccoons tearing it up because the moisture around the plants attracted toads and insects...mmm, dinner.
Are you looking for weed control or are you hoping to cut down on watering?
(1)

GA,, get a new one! Don't be sad.
(0)

Linda22, Thank you for that description of rosemary. Now I am sure that is what I have out front-one large, healthy bush with tiny blue flowers. This grew up fast, the more I chop it. Bought it when it was so tiny, $4.98. It is 36" tall and just as wide. Chop, chop, chop.
(0)

Glad, since it is a rental home, can you plant in pots and either take it with you if you move, or sell them when you move? Three tiny trees smack in the middle of the yard will look like you are trying, at least.
(1)

Thank you, GardenArtist. I thought I looked into xeroscaping-a program-but something stopped me. Maybe it was a scam sort of like get your FREE solar panels here, or something like that. But I forget.
Have studied that on PBS / roku / 'This Old House' and maybe we could start trying that. My idea was to take a small 2' x 2' area, remove the grass, add something. Then later, do it again, use a different shape in a small area with a different filler, like rocks, then a plant, then a bark. etc. This may become feasible this summer because....and this is no small thing: Yay! Hubby hooked up the new bathroom faucett to the bathroom sink! OMG! He did it! Did not have a sink since last summer! Now, we do! And yes, I was patient for so long. Then, yes, I threatened him, read him the riot act. Then, in a few days, he just did it, just like that! I feel so bad for being mean about it though. Today, the shower wand broke, but I plan to fix it in only six months!!! lol.
Today, I did finish planting the ranunculus. I bought white and dark pink, but they died, and what bloomed next is two yellow ranunculus! Magic?
(0)

Strange....when I posted last, Linda's was the only post after my earlier post. Now I see CWilile's 2 posts and Glad's post. I wonder how they were hidden when I responded to Linda's post....playing hide and seek like the rabbits?
(1)

Ga, the volunteer lettuce is a romaine variety I originally planted several years ago. Every year, some plants go to seed, I harvest the seed. But there are always seeds that drop, overwinter and sprout in February. It's really acclimated to the climate and soil after several generations . Salt cedar is indeed invasive along the rivers.
(0)

Linda, I'm envious! I lost my rosemary years ago during a hard winter.

I'm not familiar with salt cedar, so I googled it. It's beautiful, light and frothy. I did learn it's invasive, so I'll have to check to see if that applies here. Otherwise, I'd like to add some and mix it in with ornamental grasses.

Is your volunteer lettuce from seeds that the wind sowed last year? I'm not familiar with it overwintering; it's a tender crop here.
(0)

Lilacs blooming, rosemary has tiny blue flowers, apple trees in bloom, salt cedar really pretty in pink. A few daffs and tulips starting up. Garlic peeking out, volunteer lettuce and chards doing well. New fronds on fennel.
(2)

what is growing in my gardens at my rental home? Nothing. Have some rose bushes greening up nicely. But the grass is blooming in dandilions, chickweed, some grass with lavendar and white violas interspersed lightly. :(
(1)

I have noticed several clumps of daffs planted by the previous owners aren't going to bloom, they didn't last year either. They should have had plenty of sun, what can I do to get them into bloom next year?
(0)

I have always taken all those messages to conserve water to heart even though I live within miles of world's largest freshwater system. I think we could really reduce water consumption everywhere just by making grey water systems simpler and more cost effective. One thing that irks me is the gallons of water we waste just running taps waiting for the water to get hot/cold, I have always wished there was an easy way to collect it for my garden. I hate paying for water that just runs down the drain!!

So far I just have crocus and mini daffodils in bloom. The larger daffs haven't opened yet, the hyacinth are in bud and the bunnies pruned my forsythia bush. They are predicting snow on the weekend, possibly squalls. I know it isn't uncommon to see snow into May but grrrr, I've had enough already!
(0)

Send, a few of the CA gardeners I know from a garden forum have switched to xeriscaping, focusing on plants that either conserve water or don't need watering as much.

It's my understanding that in one area of CA, there was a governmental movement to support people who wanted to replace lawns with ground covers.

And the idea of using rain barrels or other methods of capturing water is another alternative. Taps are inserted into the rain barrels, hoses are connected, and plants are watered that way.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter