Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My Dad [92] who was still a bit loopy from meds his doctor had given him because of a bad fall, he asked me if I had his wallet as he needed his credit card. "Credit card, what for, Dad?"..... he wanted to go to the front desk to pay the hotel bill.

We were in a hospital at the time :)
(5)

On the dreadful morning of 9/11/01, my mother and my nephew's wife, Elie, were heading in the woods to meet with my mother's hiking group. When they arrived, one of the other hikers said, "in light of what happened this morning, I think we should cancel this hike." My mother and Elie looked at each other in confusion and asked the others what they were talking about.

My mother has repeated this story many times throughout the years, but recently there has been added a twist: "Elie and I survived 9/11. It was really scary!"
(4)

"can you wash the dishes today?im tired" she hasnt washed a dish in 3yrs???? guess you have to laugh? Grrrrrrrrrrrr
(6)

My Mom wanted to walk constantly even though she wasn't strong enough to go on her own so my sister and I were walking her through the house. Sis (walking backwards) in front holding Mom's hands. Me in back with hands on her hips to keep her steady. Asked Mom if she wanted to go out side and she proceeded to give us a royal a**chewing! She went on and on with things like "I don't ever want to see you girls doing that again." I can't believe I saw you girls doing that" Doing what Mom? "You know! And I saw you." I made one of my flippant remarks and boy did she give my sister one hell of a go to hell look! My sister let go of her hand and pointed to me saying..I didn't say that she did.. And Mom turned around and I received the look! Never did find out what we were in trouble for but we think it was for smoking.
(3)

I just told my mother I may have to have surgery that will require me to stay in the hospital for six to seven days. She looks at me and asks: "Where am I going to stay? I don't like those nursing homes?"

Not necessarily funny, but just goes to show you where their minds are :)
(3)

Asked mum what she wanted me to get in town for dinner? do you want chicken? NO she said ive gone off chicken? do you want a nice steak? NO am kinda going off steak? What about a nice ham salad oh god no i dont like ham anymore? I was starting to lose my cool and said well what do you want? she replied "oh you know me im not fussy???????????????????"
Are you friggin kidding me?
(8)

I've finished changing dad's pamper, and was pulling his pants up when I hurt my back because the pants didn't go up as it should. I exclaimed, "Please don't tell me that they put on the pants that's too small for you!"

There it is - size 32. He's 34. I was so angry. So many times I've hurt my back trying to pull up this pants because it would suddenly stop short of not going up to his waist. I decided to change his pants.

As I was pulling off the pants from his feet, he grunted in pain, and said, "Ouch! My knee hurts!" I was puzzled because the pants was already past his knees so it couldn't be the knee hurting. So, I reached over, wrapped my hand around his right knee and asked, "This knee hurts?" He said yes. I then grabbed his left knee and asked, "This knee hurts?" He said yes.

I asked, "Which one hurts?" He then kicked his ankle on the bed board. I then grabbed his ankle and asked if this hurts? He said yes. I exclaimed, "That's not a knee. That's an ankle." He replied, "Knee, ankle, whatever. They're all the same!"

So, now that we figured his ankle hurts, I was putting on his shoes. He said, "Ouch! My toes hurt!" So, I grabbed his toes, squeezed it, and asked, "Does this hurt." He said yeah, yeah, that hurts. I started massaging his toes, and then down to the bottom of his feet. He was enjoying it so much, he said, "That is good to do when my toes are hurting."
(4)

My dad has chronic back pain to the point of depression. he is frazzled with the pain and not making a lot of sense all the time. Yesterday, I told him we will have to push the VA med team to do a shot, where they insert something like cement in the vertebrae effected. He looked really serious and I thought maybe I had been too graphic.

Then he said "well that means I cant go swimming anymore". It took me a minute to even GET it... :)
(7)

Oh thanger! thats very funny sad but funny bless her cotton socks!!
(1)

Mama was in our bathroom today to get a bath. She doesn't know where she is anymore. She sat down on our toilet, which is also a bidet and pushed the button. The spray surprised her. She said how did I get to Europe, I don't remember going. I said "you aren't in Europe, you're down south in Georgia." She looked at me and said, "they don't have those things in the USA" I said "Yes". She said "Why are you lying to me?"
(7)

A few days ago, in the evening, the phone rang. It's long distance based on the number popping up. I answered it. The lady wanted to talk to my dad. I asked if I may know what it's about. She's doing a survey for those under my dad's secondary insurance (primary is Medicare.) So, I told dad to pick up the cordless phone because it's for him, about his secondary insurance.

He struggles to pick up the phone and I've just noticed that he cannot remember where the speaker button is. I wait while he struggles to find it. He finds it, and booms out loud, "Hello? Hello?"

And the lady starts her spiel about the survey. In the meantime, because he cannot hear her (doesn't think he needs hearing aid), he keeps booming out into the phone, "Hello? Hello?" and because he cannot hear her, he thinks the speaker is not working. So, while she's trying to repeat her beginning spiel, and dad's hello, I keep hearing all these clicking sound (dad pressing the speak button repeatedly.)

Finally, I felt bad for both of them. I told the lady (over dad's "hello?") that he's beginning to be senile and doesn't really understand. If she asks me the question, I can relay it to him so that he understands. In the meantime, Dad's 'hellos' in the background is getting louder.

The lady said, "No, it's okay. Shall I put a note here that your father cannot respond?" I said, yes, please. Now that is one way to cut short a lengthy questionnaire survey.

After I hung up, I had to explain to dad in several different ways what the lady wanted. When I was done, he told me to never give information over the phone. If they want information, they need to come here in person. He concluded, "They are communists trying to get information!"
(7)

My father has always hated it when people would ask him, "How are you doing?" He would get mad and say, "How do you think I'm doing? My wife is sick, etc.." Now, with mom gone and he's bedridden, he still hates it. He would reply, "That's a stupid question. What do you think I'm doing stuck in this bed all day? How do you think I feel?!"

So, I came in from work tired and complaining about the traffic. The first thing he said is, "How are you doing, girl?"

I paused and looked at him. I soooo badly wanted to shoot that question back to him. Would he get mad at me? Oh, h*ll, go for it!

I replied, "How are you doing, Boy?"

He said, "What?!"

Sigh...I started it, I might as well carry it through, being Disrespectful for also calling him Boy. I replied, "How are you doing, BOY?"

He stared at me,and then started laughing so hard. Yeah! Back atcha, dad!!!
(5)

My mom would say, to me her daughter. How old are you, and then she would say I think we are the same age. Another day she said, she was 14 years old. I would say to her, Mom I think you are a hundred years old. She would say, I guess so. She passed at 84 years old.
(5)

A week ago, we had a tropical storm that passed us while strengthening. It became that typhoon that hit Okinawa and caused major flooding. Just this morning, we had another tropical storm that just went by us, strengthening into a typhoon as it passed.

I needed to know the status because I work today. Radio announcement said as long as we're in condition 1, we must stay off the road. Even though there's no rain or wind outside. Fave sis just text me that we're going to leave condition 1 at 8 am.

Dad has always been afraid of typhoons (we've had several super ones hit island and totally devastated it for months with no power, etc...) I told him that it's passed and we're going back to normal status.

He replied with confidence, "I prayed to God all night. I prayed and prayed. Just like the last time. It passed us."

Just in case God is hearing his prayers all these years, I patted Dad's shoulder and said, "You did good."
(7)

My friends mum died from alz a few years ago my mum asked me (again) what her mum died of? i said alz my mum said well she was always a bit odd???????????? oh dear!
(7)

A couple days ago, I ran into Mom as she got up and out of her room. She came over looking a bit concerned and asked if it was okay if she had a banana (she usually gets up and has a banana with her morning medications). I responded that she lives here and should feel free to eat anything in the house and, yes there are bananas left.

She continued to look concerned and said she'd just wanted to make sure it was okay with the mess officer.

Side note: No, this isn't the Army. She lives in my home. Just wanted to clear that up. :-)
(4)

I feel bad now. Since Dad really loves ice cream, and I KNOW that he gets sis to give it to him while I'm at work in the day, then again, when I'm home... I had told Dad after I bought the 3rd box this month, that we need to not eat too much so that we can make it last longer.

I just got home, had my dinner. Time for dessert. I told him that I was going to have ice cream, did he want one also? He said, "That sounds good! Very good! Just one tablespoon. To make it last longer. Okay? Just one tablespoon."

Now I felt soooo bad that he thinks he has to eat only 1 tablespoon so that the ice cream would last. ... Until I opened the carton. Wow... someone ate a Lot since lastnight!
(4)

I wore this nice plain blouse with no embellishments or designs. Just a pleaded neck, sleeveless fuchsia blouse with my black slacks. To match my blouse, I wore my black Nike sneakers with the hot pink shoe laces. Dad saw me and said, "You look sharp." Several times. After a while, he asked me if anyone else told me that I looked sharp.

I said, "No. But they have said that I'm pretty." And I made a face with that remark.
Dad, "Pretty? People said you're pretty? Pretty?"
Well... after so many times of that, I started to believe that my own father doesn't think I'm pretty.
He said very firmly, "You're sharp!" =)
(7)

Dad had fallen asleep in his chair. I needed to give him meds so woke him gently. He was startled and said "What did you wake me for? I just got to to heaven!"
I said Oh wow! Did you talk to Jesus?
"Yes"
What did he say to you?
"He said come back later, we are not ready for you now"
(9)

MIL is Mother-in-law
(0)

MIL means Mother In-Law. I have nearly 18 pages so far, of funny things she has said.....that someday I can give to all of her kids and grand-kids to read and enjoy.
(2)

MIL - mother in law, FIL - father in law, DIL, etc.. DH -darling husband. PIL - parents in law.
(1)

HA! Caught him in the act of pulling a "memory" thing, LOL The LOOK on his face! Sorry, but if you could imagine... Hey, we wont get in trouble if we mess with their head a bit will we? Hahaha, btw some one please tell me what MIL is or means and thank you.........
(2)

We have so many funny stories, that I started writing them down. My MIL is really funny, and a little ornery. The doctor put her on a pretty strict diet for her health. Not long after, she carried 'extras' she had decided she wanted to eat with the “Dr. approved” meal I had just made her. Upon mentioning this to her, she said "Oh well! I sneaked it behind your back right in front of you!"
(5)

One time Mom was hiding money, and forgot where she put it. Worried a lot! Was sitting on floor playing with me. Looked up out of window ( probably)praying. And saw where she had sewn the money in hem of of curtain. She's done this all her life. Lord knows what she is hiding now and where.
(5)

Kittysharone~There was an old woman who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly,
Perhaps she'll die....a favorite children's story....so funny and I can't wait to share it with my grandkids. Keep enjoying your mother!!
(3)

During lunch my mother began giving me a "knowing," yet irritated look toward my father, who was gently trying to speed up her eating.

When we left the table, she went immediately into a rest room. After several minutes, I let her know I was right there if she needed me, she said she was almost done. More minutes pass, and I again let her know I was there for her. After many minutes and a third time of her answering that she was almost done, my father motioned for me to go in. Mom had taken off her Depends and had put her pants back on inside out and backwards, so I entered the room and closed the door behind me.

Her mood had changed quite a bit, because she was able to tell me what had bothered her earlier. She said, "I had something in my head and everyone kept talking, so I couldn't say it. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I think about something over and over again." When I asked her what it was, she said, "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly..." We both couldn't stop laughing and my husband asked if we were having a party in there.
(11)

Watching the news this morning, I mentioned to Mom that a Catholic Priest, that killed a Nun, 34 yrs ago, died in prison. Her response............wait for it................

"Maybe she had a bad Habit" God help us all get past the craziness!
(11)

Book, that's too funny. We have to laugh at this stuff, don't we? We'd cry otherwise. It's so hard to see them this way sometimes, but some of it *is* comical.
(6)

I take care of my mom, and it is true they return to being children. Once you can wrap your mind around that. The things they do does become comical.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter