Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Back to naming those worn out hugs.
I will call this one, "The Caregiver Brat."

Or how's this? "What, are we all children?"
(1)

GrubHub - not here in small town north central Maine. PJ says he's a small scale alternative to GrubHub. We have one pizza place, 2 Chinese - no delivery, not very good and they close when the sidewalks roll up at 8:00 pm. That's my whine on a Friday night when I want a snack. So I'm settling for peanut butter and crackers delivered by in-house GrubHub PJ.  Plus it's pouring snow, wind blowing and 5 degrees.
(3)

Happy Anniversary, Barb. I was actually curious about what the heck Italian-Japanese fusion would be... and I'm no stranger to fusion restaurants but that is an interesting one!

Send, Grubhub delivered my sicky meal the other night. I indulged on way too much comfort food -- spicy sushi in this case. I wanted that wasabi to clear my sinuses! It worked, temporarily. Ahhhh.

Becky, that's cool that you are resourceful with your bulk-food options. I'm just a single person so I don't do any of that butchering/canning stuff, but I do know how much teen and college age boys can eat! They're phenomenal that way! I'm sure you go through a massive amount of food and cooking.

How's it going, Madge? What's the holiday plans? You at least get a break from work, right?? Thinking of you. 🎄🎅🏼🎁🌟
(2)

Yeah, that sounds good!

Grubhub is on it's way to deliver my lunch! Ordered it online myself, feeling better soon!
I must be brilliant! I could not order online before I got sick. lol.
(7)

Fantastic menu, Barb

Happy anniversary
(3)

Barb, That is some menu.

We're not near a Costco. We only have Sam's. Upside we have a great indoor farmer's market. Great bulk prices. Plus I have a big garden and can. We bought a whole steer, butchered and froze. Also 2 lambs. But feeding big boys is a job and expensive. Right now we have 4 extras who are home from college, plus the rest of the grands who are around for various breaks. But it's fun.
(3)

What a menu. Now I'm hungry. That is quite the Mash up of foods together but it all sounds good. Holy Smokes Barb! Dorothy and Toto would say " I guess we're not in Kansas anymore!"
(5)

Italian Japanese fusion menu, in case you were wondering....

Spaghetti Con Uova Di Pesce spaghetti, tobiko (flying fish roe), shiso 17.00
Spaghetti Con Mozzarella, Pomodori E Funghi spaghetti, shiitake mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, basil, fresh tomato sauce 17.00
Spaghetti Con Prosciutto E Parmigiano spaghetti with parmigiano reggiano & parma prosciutto, served in a half wheel of parmesan cheese at the table 17.00
Spaghetti Ai Ricci Di Mare spaghetti, fresh sea urchin, fresh tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic oil, fresh basil 20.00
Linguine Alla Pescatore linguine, clams, mussels, shrimp, squid, sea scallops. choice of red or white sauce 23.00
Fusilli Al Pollo Organico fusilli, organic chicken ragù, fresh tomatoes, sliced prosciutto 17.00
Crespelle Con Funghi E Ricotta homemade silk handkerchief pasta, mixed mushrooms, lemon zest, ricotta cheese 17.00
Pappardelle Alla Siciliana homemade pappardelle, eggplant, basil, fresh tomatoes, tapenade 17.00
Tagliolini Con Ragù Di Pesce homemade tagliolini, chilean sea bass ragù, capers, shredded zucchini, spicy tomato sauce 18.00
Farfalle Con Salmone E Crema bow tie pasta, lightly smoked salmon, asparagus, fresh tomatoes, tarragon grain mustard cream sauce 17.00
Ravioli Di Vitello, Prosciutto E Mozzarella homemade ravioli with veal, prosciutto, mozzarella, with fresh tomatoes, parmesan sauce 17.00
Fettuccine Alla Bolognese homemade fettuccine, basta pasta original meat sauce 17.00
Risotto Con Gamberi E Funghi risotto, shrimp, three kinds of mushrooms 19.00
SECONDI PIATTI
Cacciucco chilean sea bass, octopus, sea scallops, shrimp, asparagus, fingerling potatoes, ocean tomato sauce 29.00
Arrosto Di Spigola Cilena roasted chilean sea bass, yellow squash, endive, yukon gold potatoes, fennel lemon sauce 29.00
Petto Di Pollo Impanato herb panko-crusted organic chicken breast, endive, porcini mushroom chips, truffle oil, lemon parmesan sauce 24.00
Arrosto Di Anatra seared duck breast, roasted mixed mushrooms, cauliflower, truffle porcini sauce. preparation time approximately 40 minutes 27.00
Cotoletta Di Vitello Alla Milanese breaded veal cutlet, crushed herb potatoes, pickled red cabbage 24.00
GRIGLIA
Pesce Del Giorno charcoal-grilled fish of the day, grilled vegetables
Trancio Di Salmone charcoal-grilled scottish salmon fillet, grilled vegetables 22.00
Lombata Di Maiale charcoal-grilled compart duroc pork chop, zucchini, shishitou peppers, broccoli, asparagus, garlic infused sour cream 26.00
Costolette D’Agnello charcoal-grilled colorado free range lamb chops (2pcs), potato gratin 26.00
Bistecca charcoal-grilled prime strip steak portobello mushrooms, cranberry sauce, horseradish cucumber potato salad 30.00
DOLCE DELLA CASA
choice of

Crespo Deluxe single layer crape, vanilla gelato, almond candy, crushed white chocolate, fresh strawberry sauce 11.00
Fifi fluffy yogurt mousse, honey gelato, papaya, mango, grapefruit, orange, campari sauce 9.00
Torta Di Parmigiano Reggiano soft & creamy parmigiano reggiano cheesecake, with fresh fruit, whipped cream 9.00
Blancmange almond flan 7.00
Tiramisu basta pasta's original tiramisu 9.00
Vulcano melting chocolate inside warm cocoa sponge cake, with vanilla gelato, fresh fruit 11.00
Flan baked crème caramel, fresh fruit, whipped cream 8.00
Gelato 8.00
Sorbet 8.00
Formaggio Today's Cheese
(6)

Sorry. Posted twice, one in my sleep, 2 nd when I woke up.

Ahem, clarification. I’m not superstitious as I seem here. I’m an introvert who tends to think a lot. When I start feeling uncomfortable, I wonder why. I usually look around my environment to figure out what triggers this uncomfortable feeling. If nothing seems threatening (like another person in my vicinity, or in an isolated area by myself, etc...), I immediately start calculating what I need to do. When I go visit sis house, all her bedrooms, when I enter alone, I feel uncomfortable. I don’t Know that she has spirits but... I become careful entering her bedrooms because of the uncomfortable feeling. Eventually, sis finally admitted to me that the house does have them because the children sees them. Confirmation in my book... I go to places, shop places. And when I feel uncomfortable, I tend to analyze why and then avoid those places if I cannot explain it away.

Spirits are strong here because it’s part of our people’s beliefs. When you believe in something strong enough, long enough, it will come to be. So, cowardly me, I tend to Not dwell on it. Explain it away scientifically. And at worse, my favorite reaction, pretend I didn’t see/hear/feel it. Yep, that works for me... most times.
(1)

MsMadge, I think you and my fave niece would get along so well. She loves Japanese food. She’s quite adventurous on trying new stuff.
(1)

MsMadge, I think you and my fave niece would get along so well. She loves Japanese food. She’s quite adventurous on trying new stuff.
(2)

Barb, after my dad passed away, I also decided that I’m going to do what I want. My obligations are done. It seems his passing away has signaled my religion that I’m now available to put God back in my life. Twice I have turned down my fellow worshippers to come back to one the weekly worships. No Way! My obligation is done. My Sundays is Mine. If push comes to shove, and they keep pushing, I will excommunicate myself. I have heard some great religious sermons on the radio. Found it soothing, too.

I have decided to spend the night before Xmas with fave sis. She claims her house spirits are not scary. I beg to differ. I’m the outsider. Ugh! I need to try not to go to the restroom at night. I’ve spent the nights before. I can feel eyes on me when I walk the long hallway to the bathroom. That’s what I find most unnerving about her house. Her house spirits make it known that I’m only welcome in the living room. All others are off-limits. I will be sleeping all by myself in the guest bedroom. This is a trial basis. If they scare me at night, I will never spend the night again... kind of scared. Okay, a lot scared. I think I will bring my reading lamp to be my night light, an eye mask and my books. Still trying to persuade oldest sis to join me....
(2)

Don't forget the rye bread, MsMadge.
(1)

I'll be doing Xmas with mom at hoca - ordered a mini honey ham and will bring a few non puree items

Japanese Italian fusion =
Sashimi pizza
Ramen bolognese
Miso minestrone
Tiramisu green ice cream
(7)

Barb,
There are others I know who have cancelled Christmas this year. There is no obligation for my hubs and I to actually DO anything.
So, we are passing on best wishes to you for a Happy Chanukah!
And Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!
(5)

Barb,
Did you get your 8 little presents for Hanukkah?
Hopefully some gelt too!

I got my 25 yo autistic patient 3 kids books on Hanukkah and a dreidel on day 1 and today, a Noah's Ark puzzle. Both were hits. Got his mom Shabbat candles and a pair of earrings. I was hoping she'd turn on her "electric" menorah but she had doctor's appointments all day.
L' chiem.
(3)

I cancelled Christmas (well, I'm Jewish, so not that hard to do, but my family is all of the other persuasion). We were invited, kindly, to my SIL's sister's home in the Poconos. 2 1/2 hour drive. Just not feeling it. Called and politely said no. Feel a little less exhausted.

Let me add....I've decided that, 4 months after my mom's death, I'm going to do what I want to and not anything else.  I'm feeling no obligation to anyone.  So, I sent cards this year (for the first time in SO long) because I wanted to, not out of obligation.  Gave my kids and kids in law better Chanukah gifts than they usually get (gave them nightgowns/shirts instead of 'just socks") but did the shopping via the web, so my girls/DIL got matching nightgowns and the "boys" (son and 2 SILs got same shirt, different colors; hey Land's End was 50% off last weekend!).  
Just NOT stressing over this last very dark week in December.  

My 15th wedding anniversary is on Friday, so DH and I will go to dinner at one of our favorite places--a Japanese Italian fusion place. Gotta love NYC!
(10)

Welp, Send. lol That's the ingredients of my TheraFlu right there, two of them anyway.

Helpful ex-boyfriend is sympathetic to my having a cold, says for me to get in hot bath for 30 minutes or more, and to make water as hot as I can to mimic a raised temperature in my body and that will help to kill off the cold bug. Any science behind this? Doesn't really matter, because that sounds very soothing. I'm doing it. lol
(4)

Hubs had this all along:
A generic with 325 mg. Acetominophen
Guafenesine 200 mg.
Phenylephrine 5 mg.

Touted for sinus pain and pressure.

He is just sharing it today.
(4)

Ali sometimes nasal spray is the BEST !! (I often have stuffy nose symptoms,, that's it. The nasal spray does the job,, and breathing is sooo much better!
(1)

Send, I have Mucinex on hand but it treats chest congestion... and I have no chest congestion, all nasal. Afrin to the rescue. And lots of hot washcloths.

Ayyy. I had things to do tonight. I suppose it's time to cancel those plans. I don't want to. Stupid body. I've really had it with my body ruining my life. I just want 10 hours each day to get things done. I'm lucky if I get 4. Not cool, body, not cool. Wah.
(1)

The generic Afrin spray is doing the trick to clear up sinus congestion, yay. The stuff is yucky but I can breathe better.

I have a separate whine, though. 😪 I've been having a new symptom of jaw pain and tenderness for past few months. It's mostly manageable but at times can be really tender and painful. It feels a bit like an earache, and when I rub the area I can feel it all through my head and temples. I know from past experience that sinus infection can cause some jaw pain, but this has been happening for months now. Finally it's hurting so much today and so often that I Google the symptoms because I'm CERTAIN it's not anything related to TMJ, right...? (Even though it feels exactly like a TMJ problem.) I have no history of TMJ, I'm not grinding my teeth at night and waking up with this pain, it comes on during the day and gets worse. It's really painful. 😩

So it seems like it's stress related. Oh, goody. The symptoms you get from having too much stress are stressful in and of themselves! What the heck am I supposed to do??? I'm just whining because it seems like my body is telling me to ease up so I can heal up, but... I can't. I simply cannot. I'm doing what I can to relax and improve my mental well being and see if the body will fall in line.

And I don't feel anymore stressed than normal, and actually feel less stressed than at times in the past, but here my body is having new stress related symptoms. I'm not pleased with this body and I want to return it and request a replacement. 😝

Since I can't do that, I'll take more NSAIDs to try to help things out. And I am getting by, and thankful for that... but just very displeased that I have a new symptom. Not cool, body, not cool.
(0)

Check before taking any cold medications if you are on any heart meds.
(2)

Claritin has a special formula for runny nose.
But don't start mixing cold medicines.
The acute sinus pain and runny nose part is the least of your worries.
(1)

Ali, It was suggested to me to take Mucinex. That runny nose can drive one buggers!
My hubs walked around with kleenex up his nose. Why?

I am an adult, and can still blow my nose.  That, and the many hot, steamy wash cloths to my face.

Still waiting on getting my hands on some Mucinex.  Today's goal.

Those carts in Walmart must be full of germs!  Vectors, fomites, and all kinds of stuff.
(1)

Thanks for helpful suggestions. I take a zinc supplement regularly because I have been too susceptible to catching things. Unfortunately, it didn’t prevent this little bout. One thing that doesn’t bode well: the entire full adult dose of TheraFlu cold medicine did nothing to clear up nasal congestion. HMMMM. What are risks of taking too much cold medicine?? I don’t think I want to find out by taking more. I’m heading to drug store for the Afrin type nasal spray instead. 👍
(1)

Ali, Zinc drops with vitamin C help too.
(2)

Hot wash cloth to the face, Ali.
Hope you feel better soon!
It is a big deal when friends are sick.
Check back in with your brat buddies as you progress to healing!!
(3)

The digital clock must have stopped ticking, as I was checking the clock when awakening, three times- it only progressed 20 minutes-thought sure that I was sleeping longer than that.

Then there is the 6 a.m. -7 a.m. hour! Is it night time, or morning time?

If Cwillie or CM is posting, it is morning.
If Gershun or Luckylu is posting, it is nightime.
(1)

Send, I'm sorry you're sick, but hopefully you are on the mend. And hopefully hubs can help you by getting you some sick-goodies as needed -- soup and liquids.

I have a cold! :-( It's no big deal really but I'm mad because... I got my flu shot... where's the vaccine against the common cold??? Blah. Come on, modern medical science, let's figure out how to kill this bugger. I'm ready and willing to never be sick again in my life.

Took some daytime cold medicine. So far it's not doing much to improve the symptoms. Waiting... not very patiently... :-(
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter