Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I fell asleep in the chair and woke up after midnight -
now I'm wide awake
chances of getting to hoca on time for breakfast with the Viking ?
(3)

Nobody panic!
Hubs cannot get his own cereal, and I cannot cook tonight.
(3)

Hah! I wrote my comment in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. I must've been half dreaming, because I dreamed that Glad wrote about the tamales at 9pm. lol

I do love how mixed in all the different food is here in Chicago. I still try new things all the time. I had lamb biryani from the gas station the other day lol. True story, the gas station I stopped at had a Subway chain restaurant, and another independent restaurant offering, what I'd call, Middle Eastern cuisine, though biryani is Indian in origin and it had a lot of saffron rice with it. The lamb biryani was so hot, tasty, and filling on a cold winter's day. Much preferred that day over the Subway offerings.
(2)

Maybe Glad was here tonight!
I just know it was not me who said those things......Mwah ha ha ha!
I was never here!

Ali,
Continuing with the BRAT theme.....
I guess L.A. is just a Metropolitan city, no where near Cosmopolitan.
No worries.
(3)

Very smart "Travellers" will be knocking on your door late tonight. In the morning, you will find some things missing, your lawn mower, your potted Christmas Cactus, your bicycles. Reason they can sell the tamales for so little.

So nice to be accepting of other cultures. Discernment is a good thing too.
The lady did not offer to sell me any tamales. If she had, I would have bought ALL her tamales, explained that going door to door in this area is not safe for her, a woman alone, and I would have driven her home.
(2)

There are quite a few people in my area who sell tamales out of coolers or carts. Also, if you go on to Facebook marketplace or other local boards, people advertise their pies, or whatever specialty food they make. Seems like a nice side hustle, maybe they make a little bit of money but I can't imagine it's that much... but they're trying insomuch that they bake/make things and sell them.

I like to try street food here in Chicago. It's among the best in the world, I would think. So many cultures and there are all kinds of things to eat. It's one of the perks of being in such a cosmopolitan location.

There's one guy, Glad, who sells tamales to the patrons at bars at closing time. Which, if you think about it, is pretty smart move on his part. So he is out selling his tamales around 3am! lol
(4)

There have been some requests about how to behave badly.
No one has any new ideas?
I really could use a laugh tonight.

Here is a good example from 2016:

mom2mom
Aug 2016
A friend at work is moving soon and is collecting boxes. I have boxes and offered to bring them in for her.

Seriously contemplating labeling one of them "sex toys". Either she will spot it and think I'm a freak or she won't notice, will use the box, and her friends will think she's a freak .

Can't decide if I want to do it to one very large box or several medium ones.
(6)

Living in an alternate universe?
Phone: "Is (name) there?"
Answer: "Yes, he is".
Pause...
"Do you want to talk to him?"

What is this?
I called, asked for him.
Now I have to ask to talk to him?
(5)

Welcome, Julie, and "hugs" as we say on AC.

I'm a little confused by your profile: your father lives in England but you and your husband are resident in Turkey, is that right? So are you staying with your father long term, just for a visit, or what?
(0)

I am finding it really hard these days to care for my elderly father who is 89. He doesn't really have any health issues apart from being elderly but has got used to me doing everything for him so hardly gets out of his chair. His mobility is getting worse as he hardly moves around at all. I try to get him to do a few chair exercises but he's reluctant. If I weren't here, I am sure he would be able to cook for himself and do the basic things but he is doing less and less every day.

It is getting so frustrating. He has a little dog and I have to tell his several times before he gets up to feed him (which is actually the only thing he has been doing these days.
What can I do to motivate him? I don't want to nag him but it's difficult.
(1)

Aww the poor thing
selling tamales in this cold weather
I hope she found some buyers
(5)

Leaving home just after 9:00 p.m. to pick up hubs.
There was a woman draped in black pushing a cart (laundry cart), lurking in the
driveways of our neighborhood, sort of house to house.
She went up on a neighbor's porch.
Later I found out she was selling tamales.

After 9 p.m., really?
(5)

Er, Reflection...

What part of that is anyone behaving badly???

You and your mother sound like the best couple ever, and whoever heard of a couple who didn't spark off each other sometimes?

If your mother is already annoyed because her knees and hands hurt her when all she's trying to do is wipe down the counters, and then you chip in your two cents - she can't yell at her body but she can yell at you. It's the frustration she's really angry with. I shouldn't comment unless you really have to, like if she's teetering around on stepladders.

Hugs.
(2)

my mom (96) lives with me. She has issues her knees are replaced and failing. Bad Osteoporosis (never good), bad curvature of the spine, apnea, anemia. Just diagnosed with mitral valve degeneration.
I take great care of her, last 20 years and she is really doing well. Her hearing is not good even with her hearing aids which she just started wearing after 10 years of them sitting in a box..good saver!
I just had my ears tested and have NIHL from work and need aids. Next Summer...maybe. I am also 72 still working one day a week teaching healthcare and I'm soooo tired, sad and love my mom sooo much.

She yells at me and I have started leaving the room and going to my own hole. I am in school again...stupid move! but I like it. On the deans list!! GO me!

I think dementia is really setting in or sundowners. Mom is a very rational person, bossy at times and very worried when I leave the house. "when will you be home" I reassure her that I will call her on the way, at lunch and when I leave the clinic.
She's mostly ok.

My extended family only houses away are not regular in the visiting department. This is really sad as I moved to this part of the city to be near them.....well? where are you guys?

I realize everyone has a life.
Mom and I seem to be okay so I guess they think we don't need them.

I just started using a grocery delivery service...helps a lot.

I cook all meals. favorites are one bowl meals...veggies and protein in a bowl with rice or potatoes. Fruit or salad on the side. Small portions for both of us.

This yelling at me when I ask her not to do something...out of respect for her pain ...is bothersome. How can I keep my mouth shut not to set her off. its hard when I love her and don't see why she has to "clean up the kitchen".

Let her do what she wants to do, right?

I ran away when she yelled at me and she found me at my computer looking up this site. She apologized and I hugged her. She said she was fearful of dying!! me too I said..who do you think will go first? you or me?....

I hate confrontation and anger...bad marriage with boobs for brains husbands (2). I put up with much in my own space but took on mom and my stepfather 20 yrs ago...we had fun and enjoyed our "family".
I guess I'm just sad, feeling bad. Hate anger at bed time.

Sounds like sundowners to me.
Thanks for having a place to vent. ; )
(6)

I have to be up early Monday to bring things for Rose AND deal with the fallout when she finds out she's not going home.  DH not well, doesn't want an alarm. Maybe I'll sleep in Rose's bed. That should confuse the dog.

Nieta63, sounds like you've been through a lot.  As for help, I answered an ad and they called.  We pay for the companion, and  I get out.  Another resource is your state's Agency on Aging. Some people in my aging care group swapped off with each other.

I am no longer Catholic.  I really like nature, with an outside church.  Found others like me.
(1)

cwillie...I was just the opposite,My Grandmother had a loud ,ticking (antique) clock that drove me crazy when I'd spend the night with her and it kept me awake and annoyed all night.That's why I still don't like the sound,I bet.

When Mother had breathing trouble and had to use a fan on her all the time,I got used to that though and now I still have to have it on to sleep,not just for the air,but also the sound.
(5)

If I have to get up to shut off a cell phone alarm, I hide it in a drawer, wrapped under clothing. Then do not tell where it is.

CWillie,
Hypervigilance comes from PTSD, the earthquake plus.
It has been interesting, trying to give that up.
I would follow a routine schedule, even if it were hubs schedule....if he had one.
Today is a beautiful sunny day here in SoCal, no excuse to not go outdide.
(2)

It's funny the things you get used to - Luckylu your post about the clock had me remembering how I had to ask my grandmother if she had an alarm clock I could use when I stayed at her place, since that was what I was used to at home I couldn't sleep without that constant ticking. Today I would probably join you in tossing it across the room.
(3)

Send, sounds like you need a noisier house to drown out all the other little sounds. Or earplugs. I bet staying hyper vigilant doesn't really help you change his behaviours, does it?
(3)

i have a clock that drives me crazy with it's ticking.I threw it across the room,but it still keeps ticking.

Mother said to always wash the lettuce before we ate it or we'd get the runs.I continue to give it to my dH unwashed,but he never gets the runs or even the walks.He just lays in bed all day,accomplishing nothing.
(3)

It is the quietest sounds that wake me....tap tap tap at 11:30 p.m. toothbrush tapping on sink; buzz buzz quiet alarm at 3:30 a.m. (this alarm is in the livingroom) for a Friday morning bike ride; an ignored work alarm goes off a second time and he is in the bathroom after I already woke him up.......etc. etc. etc. until living alone starts to look good. But then, not so good.
(1)

Maybe you need to sleep on a nice sofa out with tweety bird Send. Or better yet put hubbie out there.
(1)

Relaxing to me means I get to lay down, with a death grip on my pillow, maybe dozing off, waiting until hubs wakes me up, accidentally, sorry.
(1)

Send,
What is this foreign word you write,"Relaxing"?
:)
(5)

Confused on whether the government is shut down or re-opened......
How would anyone be able to tell the difference?

Relaxing on a Friday night.....how about you?
(3)

Luckylu is behaving badly over on the dinner thread.

My hubs and I will be having country-style pork ribs for dinner, green beans, a baked yam, and cranberry sauce.
(3)

Thank you Grannie Annie.
Some days are definitely better than others and that comment holds true for mom and for me.
Mom has been remembering more things in bits and pieces at different moments. Unfortunately, just when I think she seems as if she is somewhat back to normal, something happens or she says things that remind me of the reality of the disease.

I have reached out to the Alzheimer's association about recommending me to a caregiver group. Apparently it is the process for the group in my neighborhood. It meets once a month. The church in my neighborhood is not that helpful. I stopped in to speak to a priest several weeks ago and he basically told me to pray for strength while he was looking at his watch. I guess he thought I was in a state where I wouldn't notice. I did.

February 12th will also mark the fifth year anniversary since my husband died unexpectedly to a massive heart attack at work. I basically woke up next to him in the morning and, the next time I saw him, was on a gurney and he was gone. Thirty years ago, my only brother and sibling died unexpectedly on his motorcycle as he was heading to his apartment from our mom and dad's place. I was 24 then and still living at home

I feel a little stoic when mentioning that I arranged burials/arrangements/cremations, memorial masses...for my brother, my husband, my father. I even had to put my first dog down when she was old, in pain and could not walk. My brother had already died by then. I handled my brother's arrangements because my mom and dad were in shock and could not handle things. They were already in their 80s when my husband passed away and could not even fly from Florida to NY to attend my husband's memorial mass.

I'm not fanatical about religions - perhaps because I was pushed to attend mass every Sunday, etc. when I was growing up and in a Catholic School with a handful of strict nuns. I still remember a priest from our school telling me that he could not cross the street to my brother's wake because he had a meeting.

Despite the above, I do believe in God, and consider myself to be a spiritual person even if I don't pray or attend church as often as I probably should. But, I do have faith and believe that I have been gifted with the ability and strength to handle and get through things. They say God does not give one more than they can handle so I imagine he's got a lot of faith in me and a good font to put my trust in.

Feeling a little scared tonight but I guess that's what faith is. "Believing in the absence of virtual proof."

Wishing you and everyone here a peaceful evening filled with hope, courage, strength and pleasant dreams.
(8)

Name that tune......
(0)

Boots,
There is not enough saran wrap for that. But I have heard of a spa that wraps customers in saran wrap.

I liked that movie.

P.S. I just found the saran wrap gun today.....
(2)

Send,
Did you ever wrap "something"? Like 1 husband perchance? In the movie Fried Green Tomatoes the lady wraps herself up in saran wrap naked and meets her husband at door......
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter