Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Was there any pie at the Hotel California tonight?
(1)

I bought a peach pie at sprouts but it will be for tomorrow night
I was just too tired to go tonight after chores today

At about 9 pm neighbor texted me saying there was a beeping noise coming from the house - I was at the store
No clue what it was - maybe a low battery on a smoke dectector ?
(2)

Do you have an alarm for security? So nice to have a neighbor looking out for you!
If it was the smoke detector, if will go off again if the battery is low. Thinking most take a 9 volt battery. Summer heat is a good time to check all batteries, even car batteries.
A notice from the auto club advised to check the car battery before it fails and you need road service in this heat. Understandable-I would not last 10 minutes out in the heat!
(1)

Keep your pets home in the heat reminders.
(1)

Send, do the people issuing the reminders have any ideas about what to do if your dumb dog howls his head off when you leave him behind? I take him out, he goes twenty feet then starts panting like we're in the middle of the Sahara. I leave him behind, you'd think there were demons being tortured in the kitchen. Aaarggh!
(4)

Awe. CM, your dog has separation anxiety.
(2)

He has, Sharyn, and he's got good reason, too - he was abandoned by his first family, tied up and left at the side of the road at the age of about seven years. I still wonder what made them do such a wicked thing to such a good, loving dog. Eviction? Prison? Divorce? Bankruptcy? He'd been so well brought up and was so healthy that they'd obviously loved him a lot (until they did that to him, anyway). In less charitable moments I hope they still have nightmares about it, though.

But all the same! He's been with me for nearly five years now so you'd have thought he'd have figured out that I *always* come back! Plus I never, ever leave him on his own anywhere except in our house, apart from the Dog Park at the supermarket where there's CCTV and a bowl of water. He never seems to mind that so much, probably because of all the shoppers who stop and make a fuss of him. Maybe what freaks him out most is being anywhere there aren't people.
(3)

CM, you can google some techniques to work with him to reduce his anxiety. It is a common problem with dogs.
(2)

Sorry I missed your post addressed to me earlier CM.
There is a special technique to train your dog, found on the internet. Poor big baby, he misses you.
Have you tried crate training, a radio with talking instead
of music? Pet that big dog from me, hug him tight.
(2)

Well, if I were a dog, and you were torturing demons in the kitchen, I woukd be scared too.
(3)

The radio's not a bad idea - it's on most of the time when I'm home, so it might just fool him. And any passing burglars, of course, so that's a plus too.

He gets a big treat to tide him over, he's got his basket, his bed (he likes to swap round), water, his box of toys and his special cuddly toy puppy; and he's confined to the kitchen in case of bathroom accidents (not that there've been any); and sometimes he's fine, but sometimes I get back and find that he's howled himself hoarse. I have to go to my volunteer job this afternoon and it's far, far too hot even to think of taking him in the car. I'll try the radio and cross my fingers.

But he's going to be twelve this year, a bit long in the tooth for new conditioning. Plus, it may not be so much a maladjustment in his training as bitter experience seared on his doggy memory. I've no idea if he was always a worry-wart, though, of course.

I have considered getting a cat to keep him company. But no - no more pets.

He would really like his own cat...🙄
(3)

As I was wheeling mom out for a cup of tea after her shower this evening we passed a resident who for the most is always cheerful - mom didn't hear him say hello and he said under his breath - that one always gives me trouble - at least she didn't threaten to tie his wienie in a knot
(3)

Oh my word, lol!! MsMadge, that is funny.
(2)

CM, there are those toys you can fill with treats and as the dog moves the toy around, they get a treat. It is a way to keep them occupied when alone. Leave an old shirt you no longer wear in his bed or crate with your smell on it. When you return, give him a different treat.  
(1)

Exemplary silent dog wins a special chicken treat all to himself. Today all I heard was the creak of his wicker basket as I opened the front door - I think he was secretly glad to be left in peace in the kitchen, far too hot to go out. Hope this will be a new start!

Either that or he's lost his voice... :/
(3)

Hey Send,
Wash that you on the evening news out on the freeway on your motorcycle kicking a car and causing a multi car pile up?
(3)

Very funny MsMadge, missed that bit of news, knock on wood.
(2)

On the grounds that you can't say you don't like something if you've never tried it, and given that 'Hampstead', Diane Keaton's film, has been cruelly savaged by the critics but I'd still quite like to go to a movie this weekend, I have just read the ten column inch review of 'Transformers: The Last Knight' to see if it might be fun. I like a good pacy robot story as much as the next middle-aged female film-goer.

I know what the words mean. But...

I read it through again, slower and more attentively.

If you have absolutely no idea what they're talking about, and you're none too confident that the reviewer quite knows either - '... the film's peppy pre-teen heroine Izzy appears in the middle of a military sortie: Wahlberg's character asks her what on earth she's doing there, and she replies, with commendable honesty, "I don't know."' - what are the odds of being glad you bought a ticket?
(3)

CM
There's always Baywatch

I'm thinking of taking in a movie to escape the heat - John Lithgow in dinner with ... or maybe book of Henry or bossy underpants
(2)

If you can find the video from the Dallas zoo if a gorilla dancing in a wading pool take the time to watch - pure joy
(4)

Wish I had the time and energy to go to the Rose Bowl - big music festival this weekend
I read Alabama Shakes is there
If you've never heard them look up the song, hold on
The lead vocalist sounds like Janis Joplin
(2)

Thanks everyone- Heard Alabama Shakes sing online, watched trailer of Hamstead-definitely want to see it!
Then, saw the water dancing gorilla at the Dallas zoo-
all accesible online.
(3)

Whew! An 870 acre brush fire threatened the area today
viewed from my front window, is now 50% contained.
Not much to burn after the fire met up with last year's Sand Fires burned out areas.
Going to have that huge bowl of ice cream now.
(2)

Good news, Send !

Just home from hoca and the house is still too hot so I'll join you in some ice cream
(2)

Great! An ice cream buddy! Tonights menu is a hard won quart of 31 Flavors, vanilla, with hot fudge drizzled over, served with 1/2 brownie.

What are you having?
(2)

Klondike ice cream sandwich
All is right with the world again - ha ha
(2)

Well, not exactly. Dh was the scooper. He misinferodetsd
(love my new word typo) what big bowl meant, so I went back, added a banana. Lol.
It aas sl good! (Also a new word typo), looks Norwegian or
Swedish, yah?
(3)

Perfect Fudge (according to the Guardian newspaper online, who researched the subject exhaustively and from whom I shamelessly nicked this recipe)

100g butter
550g Demerara sugar
200g golden syrup
350ml double (heavy) cream
1tsp vanilla extract
¼-½ tsp sea salt flakes, according to taste

Using a medium-sized high-sided heavy-based pan, melt the butter, sugar, syrup and cream together, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.

Line a 9-10" square tin with greaseproof or non-stick paper.

Bring your ingredients to a simmer over medium-low heat without stirring. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 100ºC, then stir more frequently until you get to soft ball/116ºC - make sure it doesn't catch.

Take off the heat, beat in the vanilla and salt, then continue beating the mixture until it thickens and loses its shine. Pour into the tin and leave it to cool.

After about an hour, mark it into squares then leave it to get cold. Best kept in the fridge after that.

This recipe is evil. Like the plot in The Ring, I think passing it on might be the only way to break free from it.
(2)

Need an interpreter, CM.
100 g = 3 1/2 0z. butter by weight
550 g = 19.4 oz. Sugar by weight (need cups)
200 g. (by wt.) = 7 oz. (by liquid volume?) golden syrup 
350 ml. = 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (by liquid volume)
1/2 tsp.  (or grams) = 1/2 tsp. 
100° C (Celsius) = 212° F
116° C = 240° F
I cannot do this....
(2)

I've been doing a little web surfing trying to convert that recipe to north american measurements, the problem of course being that grams to cups is different depending on what you are measuring. Do you brits all honestly have to weigh every ingredient in every d*** recipe? And why oh why isn't golden syrup measured in mls, it is a liquid after all. Bah, my hips don't need that fudge anyway!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter