Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Having a hard time snapping out of "holiday eating mode." I has a nice little discipline going -- until my Office Potluck Day, the week before Christmas.

I always give myself some slack around the holidays. Loved ones can pull the dammdest stunts and crowded stores can be irritating, but homemade baked goods never disappoint! Nor does fudge. Or cheese.

But OK now. The social aspect has died down; the decorations are packed away. But my appetite is still in overdrive! Time to downshift.
(2)

"....**had** a nice discipline going....." [Sheesh, clumsy typing.]
(0)

Blackhole,
Went to a restaurant, ordered to go a full meal for each of us, (2), spent $44, our entire eating out budget (we usually share), and exactly what we wanted.

That cured me, it was good, no cravings because we have gone 3+ days without fast food. Wanting to return to healthy fruits and vegetables now, so will be getting a nice discipline on.....tomorrow.

The holidays are over, and I am missing nothing! Have everything we need, and too too much of what we want.
(3)

Blackhole & Send -

I'm back on track with my eating since yesterday. No sugars, no cravings, lots of water, lots of veggies and protein. Feeling better already about that. I've decided I need to discuss this with the doc at my appt. tomorrow so I have it on record that I am trying to lose weight. Many of the health problems I am having are directly related to my weight, and I know it. My only other alternative is weight loss surgery, and I don't want to go that route if I can help it. I know I can do it myself, I just have to stay dedicated to it - which will be far easier once DD moves out, because she and her kids eat TONS of junk food. If it's in the house where I can see it all the time, it's very hard to resist. (Fortunately, since I'm working from bed, I'm not in the kitchen much, so I don't see it - therefore, I don't eat it.)

Sooo, I'm going on record here and now in saying that I am giving myself 12 months - 1 year - to lose the weight I need to lose. If I can't stay on track and lose at least 75% of what I want to lose in that amount of time, then I need to look at surgery. But if I am successful, surgery won't be necessary. It's a pretty powerful motivator. I don't *want* to have surgery. One of my siblings had it and has had a *lot* of problems afterwards - and she has started regaining weight and has to be very careful of what she eats. It's not a permanent fix - you have to work at it like anything else. Sure, she eliminated the obesity-related health issues, but now she has other issues related to the surgery - so she traded one set of problems for another. So if I have to work at it anyway, why not do it the natural way and not cutting my body up and adding unnecessary risk?
(4)

Excellent Susan!
(3)

Susan.....as always, you are smart, thoughtful, informed, have a plan.....and I know you are organized and disciplined (how else could you run a business from home while cg'vng your Mom at the same time?!).....

Sweetie....I will be your biggest cheerleader......you are so smart to focus on this now.....now that Mom is sadly gone, it's time for good things for you!.....and your health and future happiness should be #1.....

If only we didn't live in the "oh so d*mn cold" North of Beyond, I'd be out walking everyday!.....well.....that's been my story for a while.....lol....

Cheering for you....and me, too....so tough!!!
(7)

Susan, you go girl!! I have to get back on track too. I am prediabetic, was put on Metformin to help until I got some wieght off...then I broke my ankle, 2 months off my feet. All my hard work down the drain as Mom cooks old school and it is what it is... I am supposed to go back to work Monday after 3 1/2 months and that will help alot, and I am still down 8 pounds. With the cold weather here and the leftover pain I still can;t walk great.. but Game On!!
(3)

Thanks Mina & Pam!

Doc visit today was good in that respect - they are very supportive of my plan to try to spend this year losing as much weight as possible, in a healthy way - not by starving myself or doing something ridiculous that could damage my health. They have taken loads of blood for tests, including cholesterol and blood sugar, so we'll see where that all comes out. It's good to have a starting point to measure from later on.
When I was cooking for Mom and trying to help her be healthier (the first year I lived here with her), it was a battle to get her not to eat so much sugary stuff - but she slowly adapted to the way I was eating and we both lost weight and as a bonus, her cholesterol went down 90 points in a year's time. Her doctor, who had poo-poo'd my low-carb plan when I told him about it, was flabbergasted and asked how we did it. I told him we were eating low-carb, which he had told us NOT to do. He had to backpedal and tell us whatever we were doing was working and to keep it up. LOL

I can't wait to be able to get out and walk again. This darn pinched nerve has had me stuck in bed for the most part, other than very brief grocery store runs or appointments. I'll be glad to be able to resume normal activities again!
(3)

I behaved badly today inadvertently

Mom had a follow up appt with ortho after falling and spraining her foot 3 weeks ago - since I couldn't miss work again after the holiday break I asked brother to take her only to find out over the weekend he's sick - so I call dr this morning to reschedule

Then I learn mom's caregiver has food poisoning and won't be there today - the agency sometimes gets annoyed when I know she's cancelled and they don't have a chance to tell me so I use restraint and wait to hear the news from them - calls out and they'd let me know if they find a substitute

Late to work and forget to call mom's facility to tell them no private aid this afternoon and I cancelled the doctor - it's raining and I wouldn't take her out in the rain anyway

When I get home from work at 9 pm there's a message from the doctor's office wondering why mom is there when I cancelled her appt this morning? Oooops

Since I always take mom to her appointments I don't have the facility take her in the van - they charge per the mile - but I guess our wires got crossed up so she had an excursion by herself today - part of me feels really guilty and part of me is kinda laughing about it
(4)

Ok then, MsMadge! Mom got to the doc without you, I am relieved. And they saw her anyway, Lol, after cancelling!! You really messed up, but in a good way. If you did it on purpose in the future, you would be a real brat! Things would get done without you having to leave work!
Uh oh, update, edit:  Doc did not see Mom!  Heartless, if it had been me behind the desk, the doc would have seen her.

In the asphalt playground of life, the tetherball was kept short and I stood back.
(0)

We had steamed vegetables tonight. And a grilled cheese on english muffin for my lunch, with applesauce. Tried sipping lactose free milk for symptoms of g.e.r.d., because you can only eat so many tums without harming oneself. 2 hearts (likes) for me tonight, just because, and I have given them to myself this time, wanting to be bad. Lol.
(2)

Gershun :) ..........................

Luckylu, Are you still with us?
(1)

Send,
If only the doctor had seen her but alas no she didn't

Only reason I even knew was that the doctor left a message asking why she was there when I had cancelled the appt

Of course, they called the home phone and not my cell so not much I could say at 9 pm - hotel California never bothered to call me and surely they know I would never send her out alone

Since they never take her on the "ride for all outings" I figured she got a little personal excursion albeit at $3 a mile

We see the ortho next week and if time and weather permits may take in a race at Santa Anita afterwards for $1 hot dog day
(2)

Gershun, Where are you?
I am a little worried about MsMadge, because she did not invite us to the reacetrack. How many hot dogs do you think she can eat there? And will she bring some back for her Mom's roomies, cause she is too too generous? Wondering....

Now that I think of it, so many loving caregivers on here, rarely getting credit for all the special things they do to spoil their loved ones. Going way way out of their way. There should be a bragging day, tell us what you did to spoil someone, and we here will really really tease you for it, love you for it, and applaud you for it.

Today, I made baked cookies, took coffee to my hubs when I picked him up for work.
There were even some cookies left for him! Above and beyond if you ask me. Lol.
(2)

This week, the website brains get an award for behaving badly.
(4)

This is the picture I have in my head. Somebody in upper management has a clever son/granddaughter/nephew (millennial, of course) who needs a job and would be brilliant at designing the new site format....!
(6)

It's a Friday night. I remember Friday nights, cruising Colorado Blvd. at bob's big boy drive-in restaurants...hanging out..vanilla coke for me, they brought it to the car.
(0)

Please join the 'Cat Avatar' revolution.
Click on the cat in awe, download it to your photos, post as your avatar.
Let's all test this website, take it out for a spin, see what it can do.
(1)

Did they really do that?

Did they really change the website?

Did all the smart cats really leave the forum?

Who is left? Let us see your cat avatar then!
(0)

We should be able to vote on this new format. I say NO! Way to big and hard to give hugs, follow past comments, etc.
(4)

Now I can't get back to my news feed after answering a question without logging out and back in.
Someone in the A/C office needs to join the unemployment lines or retire maybe they caught dementia from the site!
(2)

Veronica, click on your avatar on the upper right. Or go to the home page. (click on AgingCare)
(2)

Veronica,
dem brains, dem brains are not in the A/C office. A separate entity, I believe, still is the website host/designer and have not yet passed on our valid complaints to the A/C administration or owners. Unless Cwillie is right about giving someone in the family a chance to mess with us.
Yes, Cwillie, be yourself, like your cat! That is so very you, er, um, well, you said it.......however you have been so very kind to me.
(2)

Unbelievable! It may be best to first try all options concerning suggestions from others.Example:  Cwillie said to Veronica: To return to news feed....click on AgingCare, upper left, or, click on your own avatar, upper right.
I was clicking on AginCare on the blue bar, upper left: Taking two clicks to get to my news feed.

Now I can click on my avatar, and I am at my News Feed! Only one click!

Should have tried it, but I was trying soooo very hard to suffer through it, be patient.
(0)

I am behaving badly.... I just can't read an original post that is over 2 years old.

I know what is probably causing this... on the home page there is a list of topics just to the left of the questions.   And within those topics are some realllllly old postings.   Newcomers probably are not use to seeing the posting date.
(2)

I am going to be even badder! A real brat here. I refuse to talk about the website at all on this thread from now on.
Hope I can remember my commitment.
(1)

Big rain storms headed this way; Betty White celebrating her 95 th Birthday,
Jan. 17th, 1922 !;
and MsMadge, what have you done?
(2)

I ate candy for dinner
(3)

Last night at the hotel California a woman came out of her room and asked if someone could help her - there was a man in her bed - I asked her if he was good looking ? She replied, no - he's awful and then we both had a good belly laugh
(6)

MsMadge, I wish I had someone like you who could help me see the humour in life! I can just imagine how much better that lady felt after being able to share a chuckle rather than having a meltdown.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter