Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thank-you Sharyn. I was just looking up symptoms online. I think that might be what I have. I'm seeing my doctor next Monday.
(2)

Gershun, I take a daily script for acid reflux. Fried foods like chicken, Chinese food sets me off. So can chocolates. One night about 13 years ago, I had burning so bad in my throat and chest, my upper sinuses were on fire too. I was drinking Mylantana by the bottle full just to get through the night. I hope you can get a scriot to help if Otc meds aren't helping.
(0)

Thx Sharyn. I have been popping tums like they are candy. I've been waking up at night just nauseated and my appetite is nil. I start to eat and suddenly become nauseated from the smell of the food even. I hope my doctor can give me something to help. Bad time of year to be feeling like this. Plus side...........I won't be stuffing myself with turkey and dressing and maybe I can lose a few.

See.........there is always a plus side. :)
(3)

I love the eggplant and tofu from Panda Express
(2)

Bad person! Bad!! We do NOT "accidentally forget" and get our daughter's boyfriend fine shaving soap for Christmas - in the fond hope that he might take a hint...
(5)

Gershun you can buy Prevacid OTC. you just need one every 24 hours. They are one of the things your Dr might order anyway. They will probably refer you to a Gastroenterologist who will want to do an endoscopy. Just make sure Prevacid is not contraindicated with any other medications you take. You can ask the pharmacist about that.
Ulcers can be caused by a virus but not always. So if you have decent insurance have it investigated because you can get a serious bleed from one. They will also take biopsies of the stomach lining to rule out stomach cancer.
Once the acid is under control you should be able to eat most things and turkey should not be off the menu by the 25th. In the meantime stick to bland foods like yogurt cottage cheese tender white meat and mashed potatoes and eggs. Bananas should be OK too and plain sugar cookies. Sit upright for at least an hour after eating and don't bend over. Raise the head of your bed or sleep in a recliner and eat frequent small meals .This is fixable.
The other thing you could have is a hiatus hernia which is when a piece of gut pushes up into the stomach through the diaphragm and the stomach acid inflames it. Again very fixable with same day surgery, minimally invasive and fast recovery
(4)

I just got a phone call from the pastor and he wants to come visit mom, that part is OK by me. I know that he will probably be bringing the Christmas "shut in" basket our ladies group puts together and THAT is something that I have a problem with.
Many, many years ago the ladies would put together a plate of home baked goodies for those who couldn't bake for themselves any more and visit with the recipients. I'm not sure if the "A" list still gets visits, but I know that mom never has. The "goodies" are also now an assortment of store bought snacks like pudding cups and individually wrapped cookies and a can of pop (bonus if is a holiday edition and it has a picture of Santa on it), and is frankly rather sad. I understand that some nursing homes want treats individually wrapped and that some people have dietary restrictions, but I honestly don't see the point of this lame offering, especially as it is meant to demonstrate christian fellowship and that those who can't attend church are still remembered. Would it too churlish if I tell him we don't want/need it, or should I just accept graciously and toss the whole lot in the trash after he leaves??
(3)

Accept graciously and then leave the basket in the staff's common room for them to share - store-bought snacks have their own charm when you're snatching a quick cup of coffee and you're starving! Win-win-win?
(3)

Oh CM, nobody would want to eat that stuff. Seriously. And mom still lives here in my home, so there is no one else to foist it on anyway.
But I'll mind my manners, as always.
(1)

Dear Pastor, YES, do come! Make your prayers and visit short, leave the little red riding hood basket at home! Lol.

P.S. Cwillie, I feel that I get to say stuff like this because I am a christian, and know how offensive and off-putting the activities of the church can be at times.
(1)

Maybe I shouldn't say anything, so I could be more polite too?
Nah, this is the caregivers behaving badly thread, and I am a brat.
It is a pet peeve of mine to have the church (people) perpetrate their activities on unsuspecting victims.
(1)

Sorry, did I say something to cause silence, or run away?

I love the church.

Here is the church, here is the steeple, here, look inside,
there's all the people.
(3)

Just so I am not alone in my thoughts...

Don Francisco. The Steeple Song

I don't care how many buses you own
Or the size of your sanctuary
Doesn't matter how steep
Your steeple is, if it's sittin' on a cemetery

I don't care if you pave your parking lot
Or put pads upon your pews
What good is a picture perfect stage
If you're missin' all the cues

I don't care if your pastor is super powered
And your program's always new
What you need is love and truth
And men are gonna come to you

It doesn't matter if you know the Bible
If it's all just in your head
But the thing I need to ask you
Is have you done the things I said?

Do you love your wife?
For her and for and for your children
Are you layin' down your life?
What about the others?

Are you livin' as a servant
To your sisters and your brothers?
Do you make the poor man beg you for a bone?
Do the widow and the orphan cry alone?

I don't care if you pray for miracles
I don't care if you speak with tongues
I don't care if you've said you love Me
In every song you've sung

It doesn't matter if your sacrifice of praise
Is loud enough to raise the dead
The thing I need to ask you
Is have you done the things I said?

Do you love your wife?
With all you've got inside you
Are you layin' down your life?
What about the others?

Are you livin' as a servant
To your sisters and your brothers?
Do you make the poor man beg you for a bone?
Do the widow and the orphan cry alone?

Lord, when were you a prisoner
But we did not come to you
When was it that we saw you sick
That we didn't follow through

Every time you turned your head
And pretended not to see
When you did it not to the least of these
You did it not to Me
(5)

Great song Send!

CWillie your story reminds me of something funny. When we were all young still and living at home my Mom used to come down to the t.v. room with a big tray with a pot of tea and cookies, store bought, not that she didn't bake, she did all the time, but in this particular instance, it was store bought cookies. My younger brother was laying on one couch, me on the other and my Mom in her recliner. My brother reached for a cookie, looked at it and then threw it into the fireplace. It made a good, satisfying plunk sound as it landed in the fire. This, just struck me so funny. I laughed till I had tears rolling down my face. The look on my Mom's face was hysterical too.
(3)

We were saved from the horrible Christmas basket, the ladies haven't packed them yet so rather than have it sit on a shelf until he returns in 6 or 8 weeks I told him to inflict... or, er, take it to someone else who is more needy. I don't have anything against most store bought cookies, but the last couple of years have been just pathetic.... dad's oatmeal cookies, wagon wheels, gum drops... who eats that stuff?
(3)

So glad that is settled, along with a 9 hour silence.

MsMadge mentioned the eggplant and tofu (kinda sauteed crisp on edges) at panda express---together with other good things-I like mine with fried rice.
But last night, our kitchen being closed for reasons, went out to celebrate hubs' birthday month-a theme that I am coming to enjoy more and more! We shared mimi's chopped cobb salad-brought leftovers home, and tried the tender pot roast, fresh broccoli, it was great. Splurging I feel, but good nutrition makes a difference in a restful nite's sleep.
Wishing for each of my brat buddies to treat themselves at least once-you are worth it-and deserving!

What is your favorite?
(2)

Got a string of lights....cannot put them up by myself yet-but I will figure a way!
(4)

I love a good Mushroom burger with swiss and I love chicken salad....anywhere!
(2)

Send....Just fling 'em up and let them lay where they fall...
(3)

Send,
Love the pot roast at Mimi's but if you really want a treat have a meal at tamo'shanter in Los Feliz - part of the lawry's prime rib chain

For years we used to go to a wonderful seafood dinner on Xmas eve
- Voss Norwegian sparkling water
- oyster shooter
- warm sour dough bread
- clam chowder
- baked Halibut
- acorn squash
- hot fudge sundae

Sadly this wonderful restaurant closed last year - a sign of the times - now I'm depressed thinking about it
(2)

Sorry CW, don't know what I was thinking - of course your mother's at home.

In that case, smile indulgently and suggest any donations might be better directed to those in real need in such straitened times..? In fact, why not top it off with a donation of your own? - you must have a spare can or two hiding at the back of the cupboard.
(1)

I keep stalling on finishing my Christmas cards... have a few left to do. Even the labels are all printed up so it's not like I need good penmanship on the envelopes.

I have three people who my late parents knew but I have no clue who they are... friends or relatives? Guess I will write a note asking who they are, in a polite way. At least from the addresses, I know if they were known by my Mom or by my Dad.

So I am behaving badly here as I use to have all my cards ready a couple days after Thanksgiving. My OCD must be on vacation :P
(1)

FF ~ I prepped my cards the other day, no mailing labels, tried to keep the penmanship neat enough. It's a mind-numbing activity, imo. I understand the procrastination around it. Nice of you to reach out to people who knew your parents. I've tried to keep in touch with a few people on behalf of older family, but most of my grandmother's friends and siblings passed long before she did. I send cards to my mother's cousins and their children. I feel like it's the one time a year I acknowledge -- "Hey there, we're related somehow! Hope you're doing well." lol Good luck finishing your cards. And you used to have them ready a few days after TG? No need to be an overachiever, haha. ;)
(4)

Everytime we find a restaurant we really like it ends up closing or someone else buys it and it completely changes for the worse with an entirely different menu. One place is still sitting there empty for the last 8 years!
(4)

I did send some cards out...but it seems to me most people don't seem to like doing this anymore or they don't want to pay the postage....Some people don't send a card back so I figure they don't want to exchange cards...then the next year they send one that arrives on Dec. 24th not giving me time to reciprocate on time....It is a shame that people don't want to send cards as that is sometimes the only time of year I used to hear from people. Maybe they are off in Facebookland, which I have held out from as I hear nothing but horror stories about fighting and bragging on FB. I don't need that! Somebody must still be sending cards because I see so many nice boxes of them in stores.
(2)

I remember back when email first came out back in the early 1990's, everyone who owned a PC started emailing greeting cards left and right. We had so many choices of website cards.

Now 20 some years later, it's hard to find on-line e-cards except for American Greetings and someone by the name of Lawson that has beautiful musical cards. But more than half my relatives don't even have an e-mail address much less own a computer. They prefer telephoning.

I have noticed that greeting card selections are gotten so thin on special cards, like to Godmother, God-daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Aunt & Uncle. I went to 3 stores looking for Aunt & Uncle for Christmas card and each store had one selection of card, usually for a child to send.... [sigh].

I don't do Facebook, either, never have.
(3)

Yeah, I thought email was a wonderful solution and I sent a lot of e-cards, but now it seems the no one uses email anymore unless they need it for work/school, everything is texting/facebook/instagram or whatever.
Bah, humbug.
(3)

Cwillie,
The days before Christmas are often bah humbuggy.

Lucky,
I did just that, threw up the lights, let them hang out all night that way. The electrical, a cord, a plug, is what I am challenged with-and a dH who hides these things from me.

Soon, it will be Christmas......
(1)

HO, HO, HO...........girls and boys! Do those cards now kiddies, HO, HO, HO!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
(2)

I did my cards while I was in the wheelchair,, way early just holding off on a few that I was afraid might pass ( morbid I know),, so I was all ready early this year
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter