Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
That was bad, Lu. I always knew what I was getting for Christmas when I was married, because I peeked.
(0)

One year, when my grandkids were toddlers, I took pictures of Santa wrapping the presents. Now that I think about it, I should destroy those pictures-even though my grandchildren are adults, wouldn't want to mess up their childhood fantasies.
What if they somehow go through those pictures after I am dead.
(0)

Stacey, your story reminds me of the time my Mom made me stay at the dinner table after everyone else was finished cause I was a picky eater and she was trying to discipline me to finish what was on my plate. My little brother came into the room and I said "Psst, dump my food into the garburetor and Mom will think I ate it" So fast forward ...........we are downstairs watching tv. and my Mom says to me "Did you finish your food like a good girl" My brother thinking he was being helpful says "I didn't throw her food into the garburetor Mom" LOL. I was sent to my room. No t.v. for me that night.
(1)

Gershun,
What can I say to console you, in between tiny giggles? So sorry. Good/bad story.
(1)

Hey Brats!

Noticing a few posters who don't regularly post on this thread have come by and made it better. Thanks for showing up, I was kinda sad, kinda lonely-good to see you all here.
(1)

Good menu, Cwillie! Chicken sausages are good, I have tried them.

Maybe we should all just give our sibs a pass for the holidays, let them talk away, and ignore them? Sorry your sibs give you such a bad time.
(2)

Send that's what I normally do.........let them talk away and ignore them. LOL
Last year we were eating our Christmas dinner and I guess my brother-in-law noticed I was quiet. He said "Anything you would like to add?" I just used the time-out signal coaches use at sports games and kept on eating.
(3)

Yeah, don't interrupt when I am eating either. Like the time out idea, but did you have to put your fork down to make that sign Gershun?
(2)

We have been to In N Out just before midnight-a reward for, uh, well, maybe I don't deserve an award, and I know hubs doesn't, but we ate.
(2)

MsMadge, are you going too tonight?
(1)

Maybe tomorrow night, Send - did you get it with pickles or grilled onions?

Mom is still not feeling well and went to bed at 7 pm after barely eating dinner - she can't seem to shake the bug that started right before thanksgiving
(2)

Older sister who hasn't bothered getting mom a gift in several years asked me if she'd like a bag of diapers for xmas ? Hmmm
(4)

Growing up in a dysfunctional/abusive family, my childhood Christmas was on of the few days we could count on being a great day. My parents went all out for Christmas.....they wanted to mans sure we had everything they never got. My dad was great on Christmas. Being g the youngest, I was sent in to mom and dad's bedroom to wake them at 5:30 am. My dad would say "Go back to bed, if is not Christmas." I would persist and finally they would get up, LOL!! My dad played Santa by passing out the gifts slowly one at a time, we would pass it around tod everyone to see. After a while we would force my dad to open a gift. His bigge gift to us was playing Santa. It would take about 2 hours to open everything. Then my mom would make breakfast, pancakes, eggs, toast, bacoand sausages
(4)

Send, no I made the time-out movement with fork still in hand. I can walk and chew gum at the same time too. Yes, I know what you are thinking.........that Gershun is just remarkable. :)
(4)

Gershun....Your dinner story reminds me of why I hate fish,still today.One night I had eaten a bunch of candy before dinner and Mom made fish sticks for dinner which I normally liked but because I was too full I couldn't eat them and Mom and Dad said I couldn't get up from the table till I ate them and after sitting there a while,when I did finally try to eat the fish stick,it came right back up and I've never touched fish since and really it's sad because Iv'e lived in the best fish places,Alaska,Seattle,and Hawaii and my husband always told me how good it was....no one's fault but my own.....candy has gotten me into more trouble.
(3)

Lol Lucky. My Mom was a fair disciplinarian. I remember another dinner time, my best friend came over when we were eating dinner and told my Mom that I stuck my tongue out at her father. Yeah.........I did stick my tongue out at her father. But...........did she have to tell? LOL Anyhow, off to my room I went.
Come to think of it, I was a bit of a brat when I was young. Some things never change I guess. Once a brat, always a brat. :)
(4)

Speaking of being awesome....if there were rewards for being co-dependent to the extreme...I believe today was the day!
Hubs, who assured me he could get to work on time, (by taking the next bus) as I left for a family emergency 20+ miles away....driving back, my car just would not turn right to go home. There in front of me passed the bus at the time dH should have been to work, just ahead, work arrival time was hubs....
he could not call in late...he would not make work for another 15 minutes.
Honking, I pulled over as he headed for the next bus stop bench. Delay in responding....right in front of him now. Handing him our shared cell phone, dialed, he reported in, be right there. It was now 1:30.
Arriving at work, it was now 1:34.
Only 4 minutes late. And saved because he had called in.
I ' know' he cannot get to work on time. Sometimes it is just too frustrating and overwhelming. Today, the 'rescue' was coincidental, and just awesome. I do not know anyone else (sane, that is) who would attempt rescuing like this. Please do not try this at home, anyone. You will never have any kind of a real life.
But I am counting today, all day, as successful.
(4)

Lu, Blaming the fish?
I know that I would too. How would it be at all possible to give up candy?
(1)

My cheeseburger was without the usual whole grilled onions that night MsMadge.

December is hubs birthday month, all month, so I am celebrating with a tiny cake from traderjoes. He's not here, and I am not waiting to celebrate. Life is too short.

He will get some cakd, when late tonight, I go out into the cold to pick him up from work.
Must be feeling better, up for the challenge, and looking forward to the next tiny cake I find.
(3)

Against all odds-anyone else out there tonight?
(2)

I'm waiting on hold for Customer Service to help with an issue. That counts as "out there," doesn't it? :-)
(1)

Ha! I got what I wanted - a prepaid return label for items it was otherwise going to cost me $40 to return. Yay. Small victories. I behaved badly and told them, truthfully, about the KNIT PANTS they sent me recently instead of the JEANS I ordered. I think that helped my case. Lesson learned: read all of the return qualifications before you make a mass order of 6 pairs of boots, knowing you intend to return all but 1 chosen pair, and you think you can return to the local store for free. NOT! But since they sent me KNIT PANTS (that cost $9) instead of jeans like advertised, I now get around a $40 return ship charge. Small victories... :-D
(1)

And I like the knit pants... they just weren't jeans, as described.
(1)

I REALLY want one In N Out burger, no cheese, extra tomato, extra lettuce, grilled onions.
(3)

Send...Ofcourse it was the fish's fault....but really I did have an addiction to candy then and in 6th grade the teacher searched my desk and when she saw all the half eaten candy and so many kinds,she called my parents in and said"I think we have a little problem here".
(3)

Last I remember reading about it, Lu... sugar can be addictive. You get yeast in your blood that feed on the sugar you ingest, if you lower the sugar intake, the yeast makes you feel poorly until you give them what they want. That's my layman's rehashing/paraphrasing of what I remember from reading about sugar effect in the body. You were likely a little sugar addict? ;-)
(1)

Wait. You said this. "but really I did have an addiction to candy "

I swear... I'm so scatterbrained lately. Just tired, I think? It's embarrassing. Womp.
(2)

No Ali,You nailed it...Thank you.I'm still addicted to sugar today.It's crazy I know but I make koolaid slushes and eat Pez and skittles ETC. and I'm hooked on the wintergreen mints.Years ago,a doctor said I had candida,kinda what you were talking about and the doctor made me get colonic enemas......UGH!
(2)

Lu, if you ever want to clear it out of your system, you could do a veggie "juice fast" for a week... then have to limit your sugar after that. If you feel ok now, I wouldn't worry about it. Yeast in the blood can sap your energy. If you've been eating sugar all your life, and it works for you, you feel ok... there's no issue. And it would take SERIOUS ILLNESS for me to get regular enemas, haha. I did do a full GI wash one time years ago and actually it wasn't that bad! I am lactose intolerant, but only mildly, and I had been experiencing this constant bloating feeling in my late 20s due to previous ingestion of too much milk...? I think...? Anyway, after the full GI tract wash - which was relatively comfortable - I never had that bloat again. Pretty amazing, really.
(1)

Ali...A veggie fast sounds gross,but thank you for what you said about Energy.Maybe this sugar deal is part of why I'm so tired besides my heavy grief.Youv'e given me some hope that if I cut back,I'll have more energy,so thanks.I'm sorry that you have the lactose problem and I never heard of the GI track wash but that's good to know it helped you.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter