Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
The Moon is in the night sky, making headlines ....
The full moon of November 14, 2016 is not only the biggest, closest and brightest supermoon of this year. It’s the closest supermoon since January 26, 1948. Should you watch for this full moon on the night of November 14? Sure, and, if you do, it’ll be beautiful. But, for us in the Americas the moon is closer to full on the night of November 13.

The moon turns precisely full on November 14, 2016 at 1352 UTC. This full moon instant will happen in the morning hours before sunrise November 14 in western North America and on many Pacific islands, east of the International Date Line.

In Asia and Australia, the moon turns precisely full during the evening hours of November 14. In New Zealand, it actually happens after midnight November 15. Around the longitudes of Europe or Africa, look both nights.

Better yet … everyone, look both nights!

The moon will look plenty full and bright all night long on both nights – November 13 and 14 – as it rises in the east around sunset, climbs highest up around midnight, and then sets in the west at or near sunrise.

The moon won’t come this close to Earth again until November 25, 2034.
(6)

There's an old blues tune - trouble in mind - I actually like Johnny cash's cut better than the original-
The chorus of redemption goes - the sun will shine on my back door again someday

I just called the hotel California to see how mom is - despite her being under the weather she was singing God bless America with the others for Veterans Day

Mom and her best childhood friend loved to go to Long Beach for naval day and visit the sailors during the war

How many buttons on a pair of navy pants?
(3)

:)
(2)

Bacon cooking: I want to revisit this important topic, please.

I tried cooking in the toaster oven set on Broil. I thought 10 minutes (no preheating) would be fine, but that overcooked the thick-cut slices. I'll adjust the timing plus maybe baking at lower temp is better. "Low and slow" is always a better way for fatty meat (and most dishes in general)... isn't it? It splattered grease on the inside of the toaster oven. I guess there's no way to get around having bacon grease getting on things when you cook bacon...?

I'll can use foil to cover the pan, and that will help with clean up. Any other prep and clean up tips you have, I'm all ears. :-)
(0)

Posting my answer on the new thread...

General topics

(1)

I wouldn't use the broiler for the bacon, just go low and slow like you said, less spatter that way too. Oh, and I do mine in a 9X13 cake pan, not a sheet pan, that also helps contain the spatter and you won't spill the grease when you take it out of the oven.
(2)

;)
(0)

Did you ever hide popcicles under your bed?....and then remember a few weeks later?
(2)

;•)!! Happy you are back Send!!
(3)

Lu,
Did you have extra plush carpet to absorb the puddle?
(2)

Wait, are we talking about Popsicles or Puppies? Lol!
(3)

Maybe it was the poopie precious? Or, at least blame her!

Sharyn, Thank you! It feels like I never left, because the administrators never listen to me anyway. You were right, Lol. Guessing everyone could use a cooling off period once in awhile?
(3)

Stacey, What happened to your safety pins? Were there too many?
(0)

(1)

Yeah MsMadge....We have plush carpet,but it still shows the orange and cherry stains.I never know what I'll find in this old home.
Send...Did you hide all 14 at once or was it over a period of time?
It's probably not good to hide food with my forgetful mind anymore......too many science projects.
(3)

Well, Sendtome, i behaved badly this week. man did i lash out on my mother, it happens every now and then. i had work 4 12 hr shifts in a row was tired and during those 4 days i had plumber to come check leak under kitchen sink then my mother actulally broke knob off her bedroom door and i was major suspect. Then i am constantly finding crazy stuff she do all over kitchen and bathroom. i know its dementia although its not diagnosed. She is very lucid but does weird stuff and is good at pretending. So i go from being blamed all my life for her lacks and neglect so she can look good and pretty, never wrong, never im sorry, my mistake nothing just blame me or the next closedst thing. priority blame is me. So when I am putting up 3rd food chopper this year(because no matter how hard i try either the blade or top goes missing.) I come across this cashew can filled with sugar. Im like whered this come from and then oh my goodness this been here for a long time. It looked dirty. so in she comes go directly to this container an ask why would i put sugar in the container like ridiculing me. I should have just thrown it away when i first saw it instead of respecting her sickness. Then before that I saw her pick a lemon off the floor as i was going upstairs. Didnt pay it no mind until I see it in the middle of floor waiting for me. lol. I mean my mother is so calculating it is crazy. So i just let her know wheter she understood or not that i was aware of how she does that i have watch her so same games and setups all my life. Its so crazy. Then i got on my knees and ask for forgiveness for lashing oout.. But i just cannot take it when she gets a little beter and start being able to do these caluculated tricks. The other bad thing is that now i throw all the nonsence away. I used to try and respect things as hers. But i get tired of seing things like old tarnished sivler bowl container piece of a set long gone. found in some box now living on kitchen sinc turned upside down. and old 4 cup coffee maker never been used but once dirty and taking up space or old tea maker wouldnt be so bad but they are all gooked up i just feel crazy sometimes an just throw junk away after ive looked at it and walked past it for years on end.
(2)

I have been cooking bacon for over 25 years in the [full] oven at 425 - if oven is hot use 5 min but I usually put it cold oven & go for 10 min then take out & turn over - back in for 5 minutes if you like limp & 10 if you like crisp - do the full pound at one time - we use 2 jelly roll sheet [a.k.a. cookie sheet with sides] with foil [shiny side up] - no splatter, no mess & clean up is roll up the foil & pitch it out - keeps good in fridge for 4 to 5 weeks if it lasts that long

Now our ceasar salads have real bacon & we can do grilled cheese & bacon sandwiches in under 5 minutes
(3)

Silly-14 buttons on the U.S. Navy pants....lol!
(0)

Moecam, I will have to try doing bacon in the oven. I hate cooking it in a fry pan on the stove, what a splattering mess :P Thanks for the idea :)
(1)

When I do buy bacon it is the pre-cooked stuff .
(0)

Poopie Precious is precious!.......Her favorite hamburger place is Wendy's.She isn't big on clothes,but I keep trying different outfits on her anyway.
(3)

I can't sleep

I'm trying to not get up for a midnight snack but that super moon 🌕 is calling me to the kitchen
(3)

If I were you....ha ha ha...MsMadge, I would not hesitate to answer to the call of the moon.
(3)

She hates her diaper.And cowboy boots.We never had a dog that was in "season" before.I never knew.......gross!
(3)

Did she find a male dog on one of her walks? Please don't allow Precious to mate, ask the vet...it would be hard on her if she has a condition. Not sure, but in a few days is the recommended time for spaying. If you think a pet in heat is gross, you may not like the expense and think it gross if she has puppies. If there is anyone irresponsible who doesn't supervise her, she will end up pregnant. That gross you describe is current proof she is not preggers. (as our friend, Stacey would put it so modernly). I say this because Stacey is cool, and I am not. Today, my hubs asked why am I so old-fashioned?
(2)

Today, my sister, who is usually so cool, and supportive, said something to me that deserves it's own thread. I can only smile. My hubs suggested a thread that starts with:
"Siblings say the strangest things to caregivers or about caregiving!"
(4)

I'm baking bacon... about 1.5 pounds of it, I would guess. House smells so goooooood. :-)

I'm making baked bacon. lol... My dork side is getting a kick out of "baking bacon." I really should get out more often lol, since that's what passes as comedy in my head right now... but who cares... I have LOTS of baked bacon! I win everything today! ...lol... (((hugs)))
(3)

Bacon turned out great! Thanks to all of you, across multiple threads, that gave advice. Definitely best batch as far as crispy yet chewy and savory, perfectly cooked. I put it in a large sheet cake pan, pre heated oven to 300, cooked for 12 minutes or so then turned off the oven and let them stay in while it cooled down.

Great result except for one thing: I used wax paper to line the pan. Yes, it's OBVIOUS to me now that was a "duh" moment, but cut me some slack, please, as I rarely bake anything.

I read online wax paper can even catch on fire in the oven. Thankfully, it didn't come to that. Oh my...

Lesson learned - don't use wax paper in the oven. Feel free to laugh at my expense all you like. I can't believe I didn't figure it out myself.

Anyone want to share a cooking faux pas story and help me feel slightly better about myself?
(2)

Sure Ali,. once I made homemade applesauce and by accident I put in CUMIN instead of CINNAMON. Had to throw it all out, LOL!!!
(2)

I have to admit I am not a culinary genius. Lately, I have been cutting out recipes that look good out of magazines and trying them. First off, they always have all these picky ingredients you have to buy. Like fresh ginger and mango chunks, cayenne pepper etc. etc. My Hubs gets so impatient as we troll through the grocery store hunting these things down. Then I try making them and so far...............failure on every front. All this work and they end up in the garbage. Quinoa can bite me!
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter