Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Katie, I'm curious about your eye. Did you damage it somehow or what was the diagnosis why your vision was cloudy in one eye?

You're right, don't take your vision for granted. I woke up one day 10 years ago with a very sudden disturbance in my vision. Optometrist didn't find anything and it went away but it was scary to wake up and not be able to see correctly.

My grandmother had macular degeneration, and was practically blind by the time she passed at 103. I've read some things that suggest diet is linked to mac deg. It's incurable - you can't repair with surgery.
(0)

Because of the way this postseason has gone, and especially the World Series games... a Cubs win WS seemed unlikely. It's top of 5th inning and Cubs lead 4-1. This is... AMAZING.

And Cubs just got a base hit. They might *actually* win...?! It would be something Chicago, and Cubs fans worldwide, will celebrate for months.

Holding my breath... :-)
(1)

Eye treatment has progressed for macular degeneration... there are now shots given in the eye to help... my late Dad was having them for one eye that he couldn't see out of and he was starting to see again.... but he had passed before the series of shots were completed.

I am starting to get cataracts, it scares me silly to even think about surgery... brrrrrr.

My cat Charley has glaucoma and it is almost impossible to get an eye drop into him. He's suppose to get the drop twice a day... he's 16 going on 2... so you can imagine he's not easy to catch.... he can hear me open the top of the bottle.
(2)

My Mom had to have her eyelashes plucked from time to time because they grew into her eyes and laid on her eyeballs and scratched them causing infection and I remember how awful it was to put the ointment on her eyelid and the expensive drops in her eyes and how tedious it was working on someone else's eyes.Freqflyer,I'll bet that really hurt your Dad to get those shots in his eyes....Surely they numbed them somehow I hope.Good luck catching Charley!
(1)

Cubs had a lead all game, but Cleveland scored 3 runs in bottom of 8th. Now we head into the 9th inning with a tie game, 6-6. NO PRESSURE. What an epic game, epic series. GO CUBS GO!
(1)

It's going extra innings in the final game of the World Series, tied up 6-6. My excitement has turned into a kind of stoicism lol... due to necessity of preserving my SANITY.

Wait, what's this? They are tarping over the field. They are going to delay the game for unknown period of time due to rain... we shall see... NUTS!!
(1)

Game 7 going into xtra innings...
Tied 6-6.....
I have to be up in 5 hours for a very long day BUT I can't go to bed now!!!
Cubbies....plzzzzz....
(2)

Omg, Mina, they had the lead the entire game, I was so pleasantly amazed, it seemed so possible that Cubs would win the World Series! Well, there's no lack of DRAMA. And now a rain delay. You have my sympathy with having to lose sleep to see this, but here is NO CHOICE lol!! This is the biggest Cubs game of all time! xx
(1)

I know!....then the bottom of the 8th....ughhh.....well, it's not over yet....
(1)

THIS GAME... is something else. Cubs have scored 2 runs to take the lead 8-6 in the top of the 10th inning. There's only 1 out and bases are loaded for Cubs. Wow. My stoicism is difficult to maintain lol.
(2)

What is stoicism?
sto·i·cism
ˈstōəˌsizəm/
noun
the endurance of pain or hardship without a display of feelings and without complaint.
synonyms: patience, forbearance, resignation, fortitude, endurance, acceptance, tolerance, phlegm
"she accepted her sufferings with remarkable stoicism"
an ancient Greek school of philosophy founded at Athens by Zeno of Citium. The school taught that virtue, the highest good, is based on knowledge, and that the wise live in harmony with the divine Reason (also identified with Fate and Providence) that governs nature, and are indifferent to the vicissitudes of fortune and to pleasure and pain.
(2)

Shame that the bases were loaded at 3rd out BUT Cubbies are up by 2....let's end this w/3 strike outs!!! And, yesss....1st one struck out!.....Rinse and repeat!
(3)

Mina, you have the permission of the universe, and sports fans everywhere to go to bed one hour later. Or, be bad like Ms. Madge and take the day off.

Ali, so what is it, already?
(2)

2 outs!
(3)

You both could get jobs as sports casters, like Vin Scully.
(4)

Gotta go get hubs now, he's not a cubs or sports fan, but he's all mine! lol.
(3)

And.....typical of the Cubs, after striking out 2 in a row....they walk the next guy and now Cleveland has scored....it's a 1 run game now....Cubs 8 - Indians 7....
I should check my bp....
(2)

And the Cubbies win the World Series in the 10 th inning.....8-7......Holy Sh*^!!!!.....Chicago will go mad starting now!!!!
(1)

Well, Chicago, my great hometown, went 108 years since their last World Series win so I guess I can sacrifice a few hours of sleep....lol....so happy!
(3)

Mina.... My head has stopped exploding lol... Could this World Series have been more dramatic? This final game was just an extension of how up and down things have been. I'm SO PROUD of this Cubs team for never giving up, fighting through to come from behind and win the World Series!! I'll be celebrating for weeks and months! :-) Hope you can sleep some, I'm sure you're excited.
(1)

WHAT.A.GAME.

WHAT.A.SERIES.

Well done, 2016 World Series champs, the Chicago Cubs!!!
(4)

Ali, so happy for you, too!!!.....isn't great to be from Chicago today?!!.....And, DRAMA.....OMG.....what a series......what a game!!!
(4)

Ali and Mina
So much fun to root for your home team
Darn if I didn't have to work late and miss it and could only check the score on ESPN on my iPhone

Hey hey Chicago what'd y'all say ?
(3)

Hope is a four letter word
(1)

The Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team came back from needing 3 straight wins in a row and won the championship last June, so it is entirely possible when a team is that far down that they can come back. There are a lot of sad and crying little kids in Cleveland from the baseball team's loss last night. And adults....

I want all caregivers to be especially careful of their eyesight and health. My eye problem was caused by a spontaneous retinal detachment...fluid leaked out the back of my eye and caused retina to detach spontaneously. Didn't feel pain, just went blind in that eye very quickly. Very puzzling and frightening as I didn't fall or hit my head or anything to cause that to happen. The cataract and clouded vision formed from the retinal surgery a year ago. They say about 85% get the cataracts after the surgery. The second surgery for removal of cataract and placing of a new lens right inside the eye comes about a year later. I can see out of that eye now for the first time in a year, but retinal scarring has caused me not to be able to read print out of the left eye but all else clear. It has improved a little so I am hoping to someday be able to read normal print out of that eye. Now when I read most of the "work" is done with my good eye.
I honestly believe that stress caused this to happen. My Mom went through so much and it took her over a year and a half to die in and out of hospitals, rehab, many times and then my home. She was coompletely bedridden with many health problems,and I was her sole caregiver until hospice came on and I had an aide come three times a week for bathing. It was the roughest thing I have ever experienced. She was not in pain, but mentally I sure was. Stress can cause so much so please take the time if you are caring for someone to take care of yourself. Even small breaks help, ten minutes here and there for breathing exercises, to go out in nature, etc. Whatever makes you happy no matter how little, it adds up.
Luckylu, I don't have any reading glasses with rhinestones but those might be fun too. I do have colorful ones and a pair of leopard print! Have to make this fun somehow!
(3)

Lose is also a four letter word......hmmmmm.....
(1)

It's strange: I'm used to Cubs being lovable losers. In many past postseasons, they would kind of fall apart at some point and that would be the end of their season. I use the term "lovable losers" because that's what a lot of people say about them, but they're not really losers. If there is going to be ONE SINGLE "champion" team, then that means there are 29 "loser" teams? I don't think so. But this was the Cubs year and that's something a lot of people have been waiting for.

This comment's not really in response to anything lol. Spent some free time at work today looking at the Cleveland Indians fans' responses to their team not winning the title. I think everyone has a right to be proud of how well these teams played. A Game 7 that went extra innings has only happened like 4 times in baseball history.

Yes, yes, quite a season.

:-)
(2)

Katiee....Thank you for all you have said and I am so sorry this happened to you.I'm wondering if you get headaches from your good eye being overworked.You must've been so scared to be suddenly blind in your eye and not knowing what was wrong or if your sight would come back.I hope you are seeing better everyday and bless you for all you did for your dear Mom.
(3)

Love is a four letter word.
(3)

Vote is a four letter word.

Five more days until the strangest US presidential election of my lifetime is complete. That will be nice. :-)
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter